Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav for a Nokia N73

• 04-06-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Dunno whether I should post here or in mobile/pda section but here goes.

I want good satellite navigation for a Nokia N73.

Want to use in Ireland and Italy now, but with options for other EU countries.

All I have is the basic phone, so what should I get, how much and where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

For gps software and since you have a symbian handset, i would go for route 66 mobile navigator..it the best and cheapest for nokia phones at only 160 which is excellent value for money.next you would need a gps bluetooth reciever,look for sirf3 powered ones,you could a tomtom reciever off ebay for about 50 or have a look at holux 236 slim which are the best,its around 80.i think route 66 does a package with the reciever included.cant provide links cos posting this via opera mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

damo86 wrote:
    For gps software and since you have a symbian handset, i would go for route 66 mobile navigator..it the best and cheapest for nokia phones at only 160 which is excellent value for money.next you would need a gps bluetooth reciever,look for sirf3 powered ones,you could a tomtom reciever off ebay for about 50 or have a look at holux 236 slim which are the best,its around 80.i think route 66 does a package with the reciever included.cant provide links cos posting this via opera mini.

Right I've ordered the Route 66 software.

Now I'd like opinions on the receiver.

I'm looking at this Nokia LD-3W which is SIRF 3, has 20 channels and will use the same charger as phone. I also have some spare batteries or this which is considerably cheaper and has 32 channels and better battery life. I also checked out the Holux here

I would appreciate comments on the above or any other receivers

have no experience with the nokia but i havea tomtom sirf III and in cold start it takes about a min, and hot start takes a few secs,i get around 10hrs out of it, but im sure it was more when i first got it.
    With the nokia, the specs are good but i believe its a bit old now but still perfectly capable.
    With the ebay one..i dunno, it first of heard of the MTK chipset so cant comment.
    The holux its apparently is one of the best, get constantly good reviews about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Holux-GPSlim-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B000HDJSNA

this is the new holux on the market, seems to be pretty good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Any ideas as to what will work with N95 using internal GPS as I've heard that route 66 mobile navigator will need an external GPS !

route 66 now works with the internal gps:
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/archive/t-60082.html

tomtom 6 still doesnt, it takes time,because usually the gps programs are predefined to search for the bluetooth ports not the internal serial ports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement