Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Geographic numbers

Options
  • 04-06-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

I recently realised that despite having a phone package that included calls (up to 60 minutes long) anywhere in Ireland or even the UK, I still have to pay to ring certain companies as they have the so-called lo-call numbers beginning with 1890.

In the UK a website has been set up to provide alternative geographic numbers.

http://www.saynoto0870.com

Is there any similar site for Ireland? or could we start a list of them on a sticky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In short, no. But, also, many companies don't list alternate numbers, besides their listed low-call 1890 number. Besides, why would you not want to use the low-call option? Surely your phone operator should rate these calls at a low call option? Why not ask them about the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Paulw wrote:

Besides, why would you not want to use the low-call option? Surely your phone operator should rate these calls at a low call option? Why not ask them about the charges?

They are rated at a low call option, however low-call numbers are not included in the packages that provide "free" calls and are instead charged at the standard eircom local rate.

So to answer your question a geographic number would be at no additional cost whereas I have to pay to ring a low-call number. i.e I can ring Limerick for no additional cost, but to ring Chorus I have to pay the equivalent eircom per minute rate.

I'm sure many others here are on these or similar inclusive talk plans.

Below quotes from UTV, BT, Imagine and Eircom sites:

from UTV's FAQ

Which call types are included with the UTV Talk free calls deal?
    The free calls are for all local and national calls evening and weekend to any fixed lines within all of Ireland and to the UK.

For customers who are on UTV Talk Anytime, your FREE calls are extended to cover all local and national calls, for up to one hour per call, to anywhere in the UK or Ireland, day or night!

It excludes calls to the following: Mobile, Premium Rate Services, Internet numbers, geographic Internet Service Provider Numbers, Directory Enquiries, the Operator (including reverse calls), National rate non geographic numbers, Lo-call rate non-geographic numbers e.g. 1890 and the Channel Islands. These will have specified rates.

From Eircom's Talk Time Terms and Conditions

“eircom Talktime Excluded Calls” means Chargecard calls, calls to the Eirpac service,calls to other packet switched networks, calls made to Premium Rate Telephone Service, calls to Directory Enquiry Service, calls to certain Phone Services, Teleconferencing calls, calls made by use of the Virtual Private Network facility, Operator Assisted Calls, FreeFone 1800 calls received by the customer, CallSave 1850 calls received by the customer, LoCall 1890 calls received by the customer, non-geographic shortcall calls received by the customer, calls made to the national call 0818 service, calls made to the 0700 access code and Personal Numbering 0700 service calls; calls made by the customer to CallSave 1850, SMS (Short Messaging Service) Calls made by the Customer, calls made by the customer to LoCall 1890, calls made to Internet Access 1891,calls made to Internet Access 1892 and calls made to Flat Rate Internet Access 1893 and calls made to Inmarsat, Iridium, EMSAT, 076 VOIP calls and Skyphone mobile telephony systems.

From BT Ireland's pricing

Please note that non-geographic numbers are not included in Broadband & Total Talk or Talk Plus packages.

A non-Geographic number is a number where a geographic area is not directly identifiable from the number. The services covered by these numbers include amongst others, free phone, local and national rate "telenumbers", VOIP services, premium rate services and mobile numbers. For example Irish non-geographic numbers include numbers beginning with 0818, 1890, 1850 and calls to mobiles.

From IMAGINES site

For the avoidance of doubt this facility does not include calls made to mobile numbers, international numbers, non-geographic numbers, satellite numbers, Internet subscription based services and any other numbers or services. All other calls and Services will be charged at standard imagine Rates as set out in the imagine Rate Guide(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Most companies who offer 1890 numbers for customer care etc also have a geographic number as an alternative means to contact them. The geographic numbers are rarely advertised because for most people in the country national as oppose to a local rates would apply for calling a geographic number. I'm sure if you just asked whoever you're calling the next time for a geographic number they'd give it to you.

A good example of this are credit card or mobile phone companies who often tell you what their geographic numbers are should you need to contact them while abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring up the companys in question and ask them for the international number to call from abroad.

Advertisement