Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Eng : Comparative...

Options
  • 04-06-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Just wondering is it better to compare texts within one paragraph, or a text per paragraph and use link words between??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

DON'T DO A TEXT PER PARAGRAPH. Your comparative should be

'text one like text two, also seen in text 3' through the whole essay. Unless you are really skilled aim to have the three texts mentioned every couple of lines! This is the main point of the comparative, not to summarise for a paragraph then do the same for the next. Trust me, I got full marks in my comparative in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Ok.. See my proper teacher said that it better to keep them separate, but my grinds teacher said keep comparing.. Hence the confusion! Is it better to do the two part or one part question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Should you bother explaining the point of what happens in that key moment or just presume the examiner knows for instance:

We see a point of comparison in the two texts where in My Left Foot the father disowns his child and doesn't like the way he turned out. He hit the person at the pub due to the emotion he felt negatively about Christy. This contrasts with Juno and the Paycock where the father seems to disown the daughter when she becomes pregnant. However, he doesn't hit anyone as a result and doesn't seem as aggressive. These two contrast each other between the fathers and that it wasn't the childrens fault how the situation worked out.....blahblahblah...

You get the idea....how should it be phrased and written???

I find it easier to do the one part question really, it gets a bit messy otherwise. But if you're more confident with 2 that you are with the third by all means do the 2 part.

Sorry about the caps lol, just a warning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Oh id definately set the context, like there a choice of 20 texts for the comp. so there is a slight chance an examiner hasnt read them all. Like im doing Death and Nightingales, Wuthering Heights and Witness completely different to you lucas10101..

Spank, thank you for your help :) No i feel better with the one part question!

• Advertisement

I'm f*u*c*k*e*d for Cultural Context...any hinters or advice anyone???

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Should you bother explaining the point of what happens in that key moment or just presume the examiner knows for instance:

We see a point of comparison in the two texts where in My Left Foot the father disowns his child and doesn't like the way he turned out. He hit the person at the pub due to the emotion he felt negatively about Christy. This contrasts with Juno and the Paycock where the father seems to disown the daughter when she becomes pregnant. However, he doesn't hit anyone as a result and doesn't seem as aggressive. These two contrast each other between the fathers and that it wasn't the childrens fault how the situation worked out.....blahblahblah...

You get the idea....how should it be phrased and written???
    I wouldn't go into anymore detail than that, some people just end up with a big summary of the scene and stray off the point. I haven't done either texts but that gets it across it me, I don't need to know if he hit Bobby Maloneyjoebob on the head with a bat and the co ordinates of where it happened, you know? It's ultimately the bits I've bolded that the examiners actually give a crap about.

Just thinking, 'the person at the pub' is actually a bit broad, maybe just rephrase what you've written to 'he lashes out' or something about the emotion building up. The guy could have done anything to him like, might not have to do with Christy?

How about Cultural Context? I'm lost there? What factors in Culture is expected?

For my texts I have the role of women, religion, importance of family, and status in society. I'd only write about 3 though to cover them well within time.

• Advertisement

So how do you approach a question on this and how should in be answered in relation to Cultural Context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Heeeeeeeeeeelp. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Cultural Context -What influence the characters Actions : I done

1.Social Divide
    2.Religion
    3.Violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Just do general vision/viewpoint (the outlook of the text, for mine it's a pessimistic viewpoint. my texts contrast and compare very well for this) and theme/issue (key moments and issue running through them - think I'm gonna do "Moral Choices" as it's pretty straight forward)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Yeh, say that when Theme/Issue doesnt come up :P

Then I'll do the other one I said, general vision/viewpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Which one do u tink is more likely to come up, theme or cultural context. i really hope its cultural context its way easier. anyone know what comparative headings are on for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Cultural context apparently. And I find cultural context more awkward because there's too much to write about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Emu McEmuerson

oooh-oooh... *fingers crossed for Theme*

SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

What exactly is cultural context folks? I have theme and generlan vision done, think I should just know what this is incase! Thanks.

• Advertisement

It's the "world of the text". It's very broad, look up skoool.ie

at this stage i wouldnt bother.. only two come up, so if you have Vision and Viewpoint and Theme done - dont stress yourself out anymore!

Cultural Context is pretty much yabbering on about the "world the story is set" e.g. Religion, Status of Women/Men, Societies Influences etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Ah i'm not stressing about it! Just incase! I haven;t seen any mention of litary genre, why is this? Is it not on this year or something?

2006 - Theme / Cultural Context
    2005 - General vision and Viewpoint / Literary Genre (actually, ye? what the hell?)
    2004 - Theme / Literary Genre
    2003 - Cultural Context / General Vision and Viewpoint
    2002 - Theme / Cultural Context
    2001 - Theme / Literary Genre

...DAMMIT! i thought we were onto a pattern there... urgh, now i havent got a clue

Advertisement