Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat pictures and the like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

biko wrote:
    Cat pics is a fad. Something else will take over in time and the process starts over again.
    If you remove IMG code the pics will stop immediately and if a poster has a valid pic it can be linked to as usual.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can't arbitrarily ban catpics though, or even say, "Not before post #41 now lads". The issue is with the culture that surrounds this forum, and unless the admins wish to create a new forum with access only to OP, and 4 silver stars or higher *with a more regimental set up* that isn't going to change.

Well there's the Helpdesk forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Boston wrote:
    I think people like anti, to name but one, like to jump on people and destroy threads as quickly as possible, because when they see people like wwm or other add the finishing touches to a thread with class and really show up the orginal poster as a tool, they think "Man if I post a bigger picture thats even more moronic then the last, as early as possible, people are going to think I'm cool, and maybe someday I'll be the new funny man of boards".

Well the truely old school user will use a picture or a witty comment as a final kick in the teeth. It will be related to the user and/ or issue at hand. However you get some regular users, like anti there, who are terminally un-funny and fail to realise that if something wasn't funny the first two times, it's not funny now. I mean whats the user expecting "Lol wowzer didn't see that one coming".

Sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They are annoying if the thread hasn't turned to crap yet. But it is an internet fad and will blow over just like all your base and I kiss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hobbes wrote:
    They are annoying if the thread hasn't turned to crap yet. But it is an internet fad and will blow over just like all your base and I kiss you.

Yes, but the underlining trend of posting crap in an attempt to derail threads, will not go away on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Boston wrote:
    Yes, but the underlining trend of posting crap in an attempt to derail threads, will not go away on it's own.

True. I really enjoy the banter on the feedback threads that have outlived their purpose - but some users have valid queries/complaints that get swamped. Their issues should be dealt with first. There seems to be a trend that if somebody with a low post count queries something then everybody else has a right to make fun of them as they're new. It would seem quite obvious that people with low post counts are the very people who depend most on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Hobbes wrote:

hmm I remember the All your base fad but I must have missed the I kiss you one.

To the WikiMobile with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stark wrote:
    Well there's the Helpdesk forum.

There is indeed.

However, the premise of Feedback, be it moderation queries/complaints, or a site related issue, would imply that a discussion be open to all to make a contribution, in my view anyway. Some non-mod posters can and do make excellent points, and some moderators author postcount++ shite on a regular basis, meaning we cannot really, say, allow access only to four stars or higher either.

Whatever Boston's reasons for bringing this issue up, he does raise a very topical concern. Feedback has, in some cases, become a circle jerk for the old hands of boards, and those who fancy themselves as such.

I'm against the blanket banning of catpics, and ergo also the removal of image tags, because they do have their place. Anyway, they're only a symptom rather than a problem in their own right. If a seperate sub forum, specifically for moderation issues/queries/complaints were in place, people might be, ahem, induced not to throw sand around the sandbox so much.

Some of it will inevitably end up in someone's eyes, rightly or wrongly, and I think that's a rather negative portrayal of boards, and one that is a fair bit away from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

hmm I remember the All your base fad but I must have missed the I kiss you one.

To the WikiMobile with me!

Oddly I kissyou is only ranked number 2. I'm so sorry I saw number 1 again, took me months to remove that song from my brain.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6268155-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

What about an Irish imageboard? 2ch.ie anyone?

• Advertisement

be open to all to make a contribution

Thats the thing, I don't see img tags and a link as a contribution to a thread in and of itself. Some time there's merit in it, but mostly its just people too stupid to realise that theres a time and a place for all things.

Whatever Boston's reasons for bringing this issue up, he does raise a very topical concern. Feedback has, in some cases, become a circle jerk for the old hands of boards, and those who fancy themselves as such.

I'll tell you why, I'm reading a thread, enjoying seeing some muppet get there ass handed to them by people using intelligent, well thought out arguments, and bang, cat picture, thread derailed. If it wasn't Cat pictures it would be something else. And then theres the rare occasion when a user has genuinely been wronged and users just crawl out of the wood work, seemingly unable to use judgement, and like little sheep go bah bah bah Caturday. Typical these users are the ones that create the most hassle when they themselves feel wronged.

Say what you want about fight the power threads, some have actually changed the way boards works and how things are handled. All these "standard practises" about banning and handling moderator disputes internally came out of fight the power threads.
    I'm against the blanket banning of catpics, and ergo also the removal of image tags, because they do have their place. Anyway, they're only a symptom rather than a problem in their own right. If a seperate sub forum, specifically for moderation issues/queries/complaints were in place, people might be, ahem, induced not to throw sand around the sandbox so much.

I agree in principle about limiting intervention, but i fail to see how a new forum would help, we've done that before and now we have feedback which basically is just about banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ZOMG
    cat_stickup.jpgin the second, btw. If IMG tags didn't work, no-one would use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Weird, I see most of Boston's posts on feedback as useless confrontational bollox. I hate the stupid cat picture etc. fad as I just don't find it funny, comparatively speaking I find them far more worthwile than Boston's posts though.

DapperGent wrote:
    Weird, I see most of Boston's posts on feedback as useless confrontational bollox. I hate the stupid cat picture etc. fad as I just don't find it funny, comparatively speaking I find them far more worthwile than Boston's posts though.

While I'm great and all, this isn't about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Boston wrote:
    If it is, it just proves the point, genuine feedback being drowned out by noise.
    no one else found that funny coming from boston...?

edit: oops, I should have read the last page. didn't realise how old this was *sigh* I'll leave now.

no one else found that funny coming from boston...?

Still bitter much?
    "I think I have a problem"
    "yea you got a problem"
    "Fuk you boston I aint got a problem"
    Let it go man, and maybe grow up or something as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

the_syco wrote:
    btw. If IMG tags didn't work, no-one would use them.

well duh.. if they didnt work, it would be impossible to use them... so how could anyone use them?!?! sounds a little stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Boston wrote:
    I'm reading a thread, enjoying seeing some muppet get there ass handed to them by people using intelligent, well thought out arguments

would these be your "intelligent and well thought out" arguments getting drowned out by cat pictures ? Not getting the claps on the back you deserve ?

Here is my feedback on it, better moderation, i have seen so many posters get bullied out of feedback by the old boys and wannabe board moderators, i used to take the feedback forum as somewhere i could pick up pointers on how the site was run etc, but now, i read it to see and keeptrack of the bandwagonjumpers i.e those posters i know to take no notice of in other fora.

oleras wrote:
    would these be your "intelligent and well thought out" arguments getting drowned out by cat pictures ? Not getting the claps on the back you deserve ?

I don't post for the approval of others.
    Here is my feedback on it, better moderation, i have seen so many posters get bullied out of feedback by the old boys and wannabe board moderators, i used to take the feedback forum as somewhere i could pick up pointers on how the site was run etc, but now, i read it to see and keeptrack of the bandwagonjumpers i.e those posters i know to take no notice of in other fora.

Feedback isn't strictly moderated simply because its nature. It's more or less self moderating. The bandwagonjumers are easily spotted.

Boston wrote:
    It's more or less self moderating.

And in my openion, poorly, is that not the crux of your issue ?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    And in my openion, poorly, is that not the crux of your issue ?

People are taken advantage of that. "Wow freedom, lets abuse it". Moderator intervention would directly sort out this issue, as would users copping onto themselves. I've already noticed some users starting to take the comments on board.

Boston wrote:
    I've already noticed some users starting to take the comments on board.

Lets see how long that lasts...... :rolleyes:

you wouldent get away with cat pics on the mustard forum !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

oleras wrote:
    you wouldent get away with cat pics on the mustard forum !

What about if the cat was covered in mustard?

Winters wrote:
    What about if the cat was covered in mustard?

sex and sexuality forum me thinks............ :eek:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

oleras wrote:
    sex and sexuality forum me thinks............ :eek:
    If you find a cat with mustard on it somewhat sexually exciting..

Id advise PI for you :)

Winters wrote:
    If you find a cat with mustard on it somewhat sexually exciting..

Id advise PI for you :)

Sorry I think you have this forum confused with the "Talking bollix" forum. Have you some form of point to make?

oleras: Removing a users access to this forum is removing their ability to have an input on how the site is run. So naturally the admins are more reserved. For an in-depth answer on why this forum is moderated the way it is, you'll have to ask an admin, I can only guess.

Boston wrote:
    Removing a users access to this forum is removing their ability to have an input on how the site is run.

But, if said user is a twat, who wants their openion ?

And i understand, twat is objective, but it takes a few kicks for a cat to change its spots......... oops !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Boston wrote:
    Still bitter much?
    nah, I just think you're a moron tbh.

• Advertisement

Post reported, lets see what happens.

Advertisement