Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat pictures and the like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes, lots of gamers and interweb people are homophobic morons.

lots of people are homophobic.

but lots of people are stupid too.

fortunately, im not either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

But are you gay?

As for the "when is it an insult and when is it a term for homosexuals" question, I make the difference in spelling and pronounciation: Gay = homosexual, GHEY (pronounced gheeeee) = gamer speak for a bad thing. It's not big and clever, and if some find it insulting, I'm really not that pushed. It's not like they own the forking word, it's not that long since it did mean happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Stark wrote:
    Ah yes, the pinnacle of social evolution.

I think this says it all about this whole side track.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why the question mark type question?

How the fúck am I supposed to know what you are used to.
    Another outburst like that and you'll be watching from the sidelines for while. Civility costs nothing.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cheers for defending my honour but i think he's already on the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

You're all god damn well gay....

happily excited : MERRY <in a gay mood> b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits (Webster Dictionary)

Hasn't this just gotten boring by now Boston.... Do the cat pics bother you that much?? Must say 5 pages on feedback without the thread being locked.. impressive!

Its you're not your, thats it I'm telling mam you didnt listen in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Mammas boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think you'll find the correct spelling is yore.

Stark .... A+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ghayga2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think you'll find that as a means of bonding, teenage boys will usually engage in insulting eachother and fighting. While this may seem to the outsider to be chaotic and pointless, this is very important to the social group in order to establish boundaries and hierarchies.

These insults will usually take the form of a friendly jab at some sensitive (or undecided) areas of the subject's ego - popular areas are sexual orientation, strength, familial closeness and quality of manhood. Once an insult has been dispensed, it is important for the recipient to respond in a similar but more scathing manner, lest he lose respect and standing within the social group.

An exchange may take place as such

Youth 1: You're so gay
    Youth 2: That's not what your ma said last night
    Youth 1: My ma would flatten you
    Youth 2: Is that what happened to your cock?
    Youth 1: Bite me

In this example, though Youth 1 initiated the attack, it was through deftness of response that Youth 2 both retained the respect of the group and gained some respect over Youth 1.

These aspects of adolescent social bonding have naturally spilled over into the world of online gaming, where social partnerships are formed much more easily because the usual barriers of body language and visual attractiveness do not play a part. Thus a similar exchange would take place between online chums. Becuase of the loss of some aforementioned aspects of ego, other items are substituted as areas to be ridiculed, such as gaming agility, intelligence (where an abundance of such is bad) or computing ability (where a lack of such is bad). As overt intelligence is a sign of weakness, spellings are often substituted for weaker homophonic variant. These variant spellings create a sense of community and bonding within the group, express what the writer is attempting to say, but negate any underlying intelligence in the communictation. Thus, spelling correctly online, is in itself "Ghey".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

What happened to yore eye?

Yore ma hit me with her cock

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

seamus wrote:
    I think you'll find that as a means of bonding, teenage boys will usually engage in insulting eachother and fighting. While this may seem to the outsider to be chaotic and pointless, this is very important to the social group in order to establish boundaries and hierarchies.

These insults will usually take the form of a friendly jab at some sensitive (or undecided) areas of the subject's ego - popular areas are sexual orientation, strength, familial closeness and quality of manhood. Once an insult has been dispensed, it is important for the recipient to respond in a similar but more scathing manner, lest he lose respect and standing within the social group.

An exchange may take place as such

Youth 1: You're so gay
    Youth 2: That's not what your ma said last night
    Youth 1: My ma would flatten you
    Youth 2: Is that what happened to your cock?
    Youth 1: Bite me

In this example, though Youth 1 initiated the attack, it was through deftness of response that Youth 2 both retained the respect of the group and gained some respect over Youth 1.

These aspects of adolescent social bonding have naturally spilled over into the world of online gaming, where social partnerships are formed much more easily because the usual barriers of body language and visual attractiveness do not play a part. Thus a similar exchange would take place between online chums. Becuase of the loss of some aforementioned aspects of ego, other items are substituted as areas to be ridiculed, such as gaming agility, intelligence (where an abundance of such is bad) or computing ability (where a lack of such is bad). As overt intelligence is a sign of weakness, spellings are often substituted for weaker homophonic variant. These variant spellings create a sense of community and bonding within the group, express what the writer is attempting to say, but negate any underlying intelligence in the communictation. Thus, spelling correctly online, is in itself "Ghey".
    Did you learn that in asshole college?

What do I win?

Well this has descended into uncalled for hostility and abuse. Those that know me, saw it coming. The volume of cat pictures has been significantly reduced, I don't know if that's due to this thread but what ever the reason the affect is what I wanted.

Jules: On this forum sarcasm isn't the lowest form of wit, it's a classic tool employed by gods who walk among men, when compared to the re-in-tard-nation that is cat pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Boston wrote:

Jules: On this forum sarcasm isn't the lowest form of wit, it's a classic tool employed by gods who walk among men, when compared to the re-in-tard-nation that is cat pictures.

Are you calling yourself a God now?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think this has gone far enough. I also happen to think Boston has a point (even if he nicked it from me... I wondered why I agreed with it so much :p)

If anyone has anything constructive to say, you have about 24 hours. It had better be on topic too.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote:
    I think this has gone far enough. I also happen to think Boston has a point (even if he nicked it from me... I wondered why I agreed with it so much :p)

If anyone has anything constructive to say, you have about 24 hours. It had better be on topic too.

DeV.

Q1DM3 is gh3y.

old skool!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

I think the regicat picture should be used a lot more often only because regi hates cats!

j2mzeaddizz1zm3mxong.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Regi reacts to one too many cat pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hate those bloody cats too.

deepcatfryerkf9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

fightforjustice-kittydemedici.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

/....enter serious cat serious thread image here...../

Its not often I use my own cat .....

HAPPYXmasKitten.jpg

BAGPUSSRAPE.jpg

Shakes head.

You knew it was coming and I didn't want to dissapoint you.

Anyway I actually think you are right and there have been alot less pics from me in feedback lately because of this thread ... well done Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

cat_munchkin,0.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

6thcat-3-strapon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

metalgoat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

tbh wrote:
    metalgoat.jpg

Fantastic :D:D:D:D