Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attending outside the exam hall

Options
  • 04-06-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Ok Im guessing most of the people here will be inside not outside the room come Wednesday but Im just wondering are there people here who have done it before or will be doing it this year? Any tips for keeping sane!? :D

Seriously though what am I allowed/not allowed to bring and do for the next two weeks? Someone told me it can be anything that doesnt make noise in any way so would that include a laptop? I'd presume stuff like iPods would be ok though yeah?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

All you have to do when you feel bored is think of what it's like on the other side of the wall, then smile and stick it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Deise, you don't need to be told, it's quite obvious I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

Yeah reading's the thing most tell you to do, not sure you're supposed to have earphones in your ear b/c I think part of your duty is too make sure there's no noise goin on around exam centres but if I was you I wouldn't pay any head to it. Not too sure how your principal/supervisors would look at a laptop, think they'd tell you put it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

Deise did it many years ago and it is a bit of a soul destroying job but it pays well enough for no effort to make the boredom worthwhile! What I'd recommend is using the time productively, I had a diabolical English teacher and so bought loads of revision guides and downloaded stuff off the Internet aswell. I know you just finished up for the year but you'll have a lot to do next year and any time you use well here will ay you back. I basically taught myself the whole course while I was attending exams and I eventually got an A in HL English which was a big factor in getting me my college course. You'll probably just spend the time reading anyway so read your notes and make the time pay in two ways!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I did it last year. List of things to do in no order whatsoever:

Read
    Text
    Radio
    Music
    Write
    Study
    PSP/DS
    sleep

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Go buy a 3 usb modem and then bring in ur laptop and browse around Boards.ie :D no seriously its fine. just make sure you have something to do. Boredom is contagious. Also bring in a mp3 as it will give you an excuse to not listen to the gombeen beside you that was also assigned to the same centre as you. Its a long two weeks with them if they are annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

I did this last year, and was allowed to do pretty much anything that wasn't audible. There were actually a group of four of us, because there were 3 centres in the hall, and one beside it, so we just sat at a table talking quietly or playing games on the laptop we brought.

Also, as a note, don't bring a rubik's cube! We fought over that damn thing for the whole two weeks, and none of us could do it. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Did it last year. Listened to music and read. Talked (really quietly of course) to the person next to me sometimes. They were only Junior Certs though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

How much did ye get paid for doing it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you are with others bring a deck of cards. Boy, we had some epic games of bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, I did it last year.
    Im read, listened to my i-pod and chatted with the girl sitting next to me most of the time.
    I had Junior Certs...so they were not very strict about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

JSK 252 wrote:
    How much did ye get paid for doing it?
    €200, but I didn't stay until the end - after the first two weeks they let most of us go because there were so few left doing exams. Actually, I should've only gotten €185 or so, but the nice lady I was attending gave me the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

bring a laptop or portable dvd player, my ibook saved my life last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Did it two years back, sent the whole time reading. Got through more books in a week that time than in a normal month, twas great. Had an mp3 player as well, so I don;t see why there'd be a problem with headphones and were I doing it again I'd bring my laptop in and watch DVDs to fill the time, I'd suggest you do the same if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's minimum wage to the exact cent, the one for under 18s. LAME. I only got it for a week...made about €90, and Junior Cert ones are shorter than leaving. People who stayed until the 22nd for the Leaving made €400 I'm pretty sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's minimum wage to the exact cent, the one for under 18s. LAME. I only got it for a week...made about €90, and Junior Cert ones are shorter than leaving. People who stayed until the 22nd for the Leaving made €400 I'm pretty sure..

Yeah I've the Leaving Certs until the very end so I will be making a nice bit of cash. €399.44 according to that rate of pay on examinations.ie. It does mean however someone needs to borrow me 56c for my new Xbox 360! :D

Advertisement