Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

50k+ PA ... need a new motor

Options
  • 04-06-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

just lost the company car and need to buy my own...

I am doing 50k+ per annum and am looking to spend 20-30k. should I go for a decent low mileage s/h or somet new???

resale is probably a no goer so i'll be driving it into the ground.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

marauder wrote:

I am doing 50k+ per annum and am looking to spend 20-30k. should I go for a decent low mileage s/h or somet new???

Something new, sensible and comfy like an Avensis or Mondeo would be my bet. Should last for 4 years without costing the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i got a audi a4 there a few months back... 03 50,000 miles on the clock... like a new car and what a car at that... 2.0

all for 15 grand

audi over any mondeo any day!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Go for a low mileage second hand Mondeo Diesel. Should be cheap to buy, will be cheap to service and run. No resale value in them anyway so running it in to the ground won't be a problem. Maybe wait a couple of weeks until the new version is out and the current prices might get even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id love to have 20k to spend on a car, id definatley go for something second had. Though i think i would even if i had 300k to spend. I really dont understand buying new cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rowanh wrote:
    I really dont understand buying new cars at all.

If people didn't buy new cars every year then there wouldn't be any second hand bargins. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Your location is Galway so I'd say the simpler the suspension the better to handle the bad roads.
    Rebuilding suspensions is expensive and at 50K p.a. a cost you will encounter.
    Avoid low profile tyres with big wheels too to cut down on the costs of maintaining your suspension too.
    An Avensis might be a better bet as it isn't as firm as a Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

50k a year....Would have to be an E-Class, 5 Series or A6 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

anto-t wrote:
    i got a audi a4 there a few months back... 03 50,000 miles on the clock... like a new car and what a car at that... 2.0

all for 15 grand

audi over any mondeo any day!!!!!

I also got an A4 1.9 TDI (2003) with 160k (Miles) on the clock. Still driving like it came off the factory rollers. I'd recommend one any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I'm the happy owner of a Skoda Superb 1.9 diesel, 130 bhp automatic. It is basically the old VW Passat so everything has been sorted out; it has the lowest rate of recalls of anything in the VW group. It's fast and roomy, it has cruise control, it's comfortable and the only thing that went wrong in the three Skodas I had before this one was the boot lock in the second-last one which was a repair under warranty.

You could buy mine if you like. Two years old; just hit 50,000 miles — most of those in fourth or fifth gear which, as you know, is best for the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

marauder wrote:

What about a Hyundai Sonata CRD. As you are puttingh up savage miles, then youll get Damn all for anything you buy. And i think they have a 5 year warranty, but not sure waht the mielage limit on them are for that warranty. Leather climate the works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd hate to be doing that sort of mileage, but if I was I'd probably import a Merc. E220 CDI, auto, with a leather interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bananarepublic

What about a phaeton , you might get another couple of grand of the asking price cause they depreciate like rocks which might bring it into budget. Easily keep for another 10 years and probably won't age for about 5-7 years because there very rare plus this thing will eat up the mileage you could happlity do 500,000 miles in it.
    2005 VOLKSWAGEN PHAETON 3.0 V6 TDI 4MOTION 4dr [5 Seat] Auto Diesel Saloon £17,995 Sterling
    70,000 miles
    Automatic
    REFLEX SILVER
    Diesel
    Automatic, 70,000 miles, Automatic, 05 reg, Reflex Silver, Black leather with Myrtle wood veneer, TV, Satellite Navigation, Integrated VW phone, Xenon Headlamp Wash, Double glazing, Adjustable Steering

media?id=558326537

Advertisement