Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe what you read in mags/papers?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how you feel about this? The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago Mrs r3nu4l was in Ireland so she bought a magazine (Grazia) for the plane journey and on the way back she bought a different magazine (not sure which one!).

So I couldn't help but notice (I do read them, yes :)) that on the covers of each mag were two contradictory stories! On one, the main headline was about how Posh spice and other celebrities were putting on weight and ditching size zero and on the other magazine was a story about Posh spice losing even more weight because she wasn't eating!?! :confused:

Over the years I've watched TV shows where people like Max Clifford (PR man to the stars!) has admitted that many of the stories in the newspapers and magazines are concoted out of thin air by him (with no truth!) and "released/leaked" to papers as coming from "a close friend" for publicity value.

With this in mind, how much of what you read do you actually beleive? For me, I honeslty wait until I see/hear it on major news channels and even then I wait a day or two to see if there is any denial/updates. You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

No I don't, just with a pinch of salt. It is funny how contradictory magazines can be. The fun for me is the speculation, though I have to admit I'm finding sudoku's more entertaining these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

As little miss said you cant read a lot into what you read. i get a weekly email from popbitch and holy moly which have far more juicy stories that any of the mags. doesnt stop me buying the mags though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

When I see "a friend said", I know the statement is pure fiction. I mean, what kind of a friend would tell your secrets to a journalist? Do all celebrities have insincere friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

no way do i believe it!!!!people will do anythign for money!!!lol!!but i still love my magazines its my guilty pleasure id say i spend 10 to 15 euro a week on them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

kelle wrote:
    When I see "a friend said", I know the statement is pure fiction. I mean, what kind of a friend would tell your secrets to a journalist? Do all celebrities have insincere friends?
    But often when you see that (especially when it says "sources close to the star...") then it means that it's the person's PR person who leaked the story because they want the publicity. And to be fair, I doubt it's ever really a proper 'friend'; more often than not it's someone who grew up near the celebrity and hasn't seen them in years but still has an opinion on their life. Either that, or an ex, or someone who met the celebrity a few times and considers them to be BFs now :)

I've stopped reading the magazines because basically I just stopped believing everything that they said. Like r3nu4l pointed out, too often they're contradictory and simply unreliable. There are often vested interests too(e.g. some magazines will always write nice things about Jordan, because they don't want to piss her off).

Websites like perezhilton are way more reliable and up-to-date, plus you don't have to put up with crap on the minutiae of the lives of British soap "stars" (a phrase I use in its loosest possible sense!) which clog up all the magazines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement