Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are the episodes not in order in the box sets?

• 05-06-2007 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've recently gotten the first two seasons of the original series but the episodes are in a weird order, like all over the place, anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Could be the difference between production order and original air date?

//edit
    Yes, just checked, the order on the discs is based on the original air dates of the shows. You're probably more used to seeing them in production order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

This is something I've always wondered about. Which is the actual correct order? I know some tv channels just air things whatever way they want and that's why there's a difference, but then why do they put them on DVD's in the air date order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, personally I think original production order would be much preferable. I suppose a TV channel might change the order for a number of reasons, but aside from the nostalgic "ohh, I remember when this first aired, 40-odd years ago", I don't see any reason not to use production order on the DVDs.

On these discs, 'The Man Trap' is the 'first' episode, while the actual first episode produced was 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' -- which actually looks and feels like a pilot, and doesn't feature Doctor McCoy at all.

According to wikipeida : "It is believed that "The Man Trap" was chosen to air first because it offered the best glimpse into several of the main characters (e.g., McCoy's past, Spock's home planet, Sulu's interest in botany) of any of the episodes filmed at that time."

The official order is the order listed on StarTrek.com. For continunity reasons I always printed off a list of the episodes in production order, because sometimes you noticed a uniform change or something, that reverts back for an 'earlier' episode.

As there are no real follow on episodes, the series can be watched in either order, its a lot earlier to remember where you left off if you watch it in the order in which they appear on the disks.

Advertisement