Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Router - Log Files

Options
  • 05-06-2007 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I manage a small company and have reason to believe that an employee is bringing their own laptop into work to get around the filter system we have on our PCs.

It's not a great system but for majority of staff it works.

What I need to know is Can I find out what sites were visted on a certain day using log files from the router?

Also - is there a default username and password for these routers?

Slumped

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Are you talking wired or wireless here?

If it's wired, then there's no easy way to stop access, if it's wireless, then it's very easy, the netopia can be configured to only allow access to specified wireless addresses, which can be obtained from each machine that's allowed to access the router.

If you are going that route, then you will also have to make sure that the router signon is password secured to prevent it being modified to allow other access.

There's no logs that I am aware of in the router that can give the sort of detail you are looking for.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

don't think so. you will have to set up some other thing to capture packets the netopia router doesn't log sites.

it would be out of memory in no time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think you can capture real time data by trying telnet to the command line interface or setting up snmp and capturing that way

it may not be available in the web interface

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You would probably to reconfigure your network to make one machine your gateway (and make your Netopia its gateway). On this machine, then, you could install some firewall software like Microsoft ISA, or web monitoring sofware (like websense).

It's a non-trivial excercise.

You could try telnetting to your router ("telnet 192.168.1.254" assuming you've a factory configured modem, substitute your modems ip address) and then type "show dhcp server leases"). This will show the current machines attached to the modem. He'd have to be connected at the time (and using an ip address from the dhcp server in the modem). Your guy might be a little smarter than that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

haave a look in the internal configuration pages of the router to see if there is a log

if so there might be an option to email the log when full to whatever email address you require
    this will give a log of everything being accesses by every pc

my netgear router has this option (see pic) - you don't mention what router you have.

if not then there may be the option of restricting access to allow just the MAC addresses of the office PCs

alternatively, if the laptop is using wireless & none of the other machines access via wireless, disable wifi on the router

• Advertisement
Advertisement