Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard disk dying

Options
  • 05-06-2007 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

i think the hard disk is on the way out. it is making extraordinary sounds. can i backup the existing hard drive onto a new one and will the operating system survive? i have the original windows disk, can it be reinstalled on the new disk?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Get a new drive and assuming your drive is still working well enough.. use norton ghost or something to clone it. You will note even need to reinstall etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is it an IDE or SATA hard drive you have as it's replacement can be one or the other though to keep things simple it's best if it's the same type as the previous one.

Western Digital IDE 320GB
    Western Digital SATA 320GB

Either of those will do assuming they are bigger capacities than what you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

thanks for the replies-they are both ide

Advertisement