Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you pay??

Options
  • 05-06-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

This is the story so far:

Bought my van back in october I think, I bought it knowing it needed a new clutch so got that done by a guy in Kilcoole, turns out he didn't put the starter motor back properly and it fell out so I got a garage in Mountown to tow it away and they repaired it and put it back together (€200).

All seemed fine and then a few weeks later a light on my dash started showing up when I would press the clutch in, about 2 days later, the clutch pedal broke. It wouldn't depress so I couldn't change gear. Had to get Mountown guys out to tow again.

They took it in and said they would need to take the gear box out to find out what the problem was, they ordered a new part and altogether that cost about €500 (€630 including the passenger door handle/opening mechanism getting fixed, which they estimated costing 70, so it nearly cost double what I thought I'd pay!) and took them about 9 days. I got them down to €600 and drove the van home.

10 minutes later the same thing happened, the clutch pedal fell and wouldn't come back out. Straight on the phone, they were down in about 20 minutes and brought it back but this time they fixed it in about 15 minutes, it was a spring on the clutch this time apparantly. I asked what took 15 minutes this time that took 6 hours and cost €500 before, he just said "are you serious" and went on to explain it was a different problem that they took the gearbox out and they showed me the part they replaced and invited me up to see the gearbox out when it was out. Fair enough, but what am I to know anyway? Anyway, he went on saying he will stand over his work and if I have any more problems they will sort it.

So I took it away and drove it for about 7 hours and that light started coming back on so I thought great, it's still not fixed properly. Before I got it back to them, something else happened. I was parked out in Bray and went to start the engine and nothing, it wouldn't start. The lights came on and it was not the battery as I had just been driving it for about 10 hours before that. I opened the bonnet and the clutch cable they had been working on, was rubbing against the starter motor cable they had been working on and they were melting against eachother (probably due to friction and the heat in the engine?). Anyway, I actually got it started by pressing the clutch in when I was turning the key so I drove it straight to the mechanic and left it there for them to work on first thing in the morning.

They fixed the problem with the light and put a good bit of insulation on both the starter and clutch cable, so all seemed fine, I started it up and drove it off. I didn't use it again until about 4 that day when I drove into town to collect some stuff, turned the engine off, turned it on again and nothing, messed with the clutch and then it started, then I turned it off again to load up, turned it on and nothing, tried pressing in the clutch about 50 times (sweating away because the stuff had to be somewhere by a certain time) but nothing. I opened up the bonnet again and was pushing the wires in on the starter to see if it would make a difference, still nothing, then a bit on the starter broke off (easy to solder back). So I had to get a push and put it in 2nd gear and do a Jump Start I think it's called. The stuff was late so I didn't charge for the job.

That was Friday evening so I couldn't get to the mechanic until today and he had a look and said the starter is buggered and he'd call me to let me know what the supplier says as they weren't open when I was at the garage. He just rang me there anyway and said he is getting a brand new starter motor and it should be ready for me by 4. Now he didn't mention anything about cost and I'm not exactly prepared to pay considering I've dished out about €700 for this problem already. I'm not sure if he's expecting me to pay, but if he is, what can I do? I plan on just saying no and driving off and never going back to them. Is that wise though? It's cost me €700 and pretty much that again in the time I've spent messing around with it and bringing it back and not charging for jobs etc.

Now as far as I know, a new starter is about €350 so should they cover that or should I cough up again? I also have a feeling that it's more than just the starter that's the problem now. I have my DOE booked in for tomorrow and if it's not ready by then, that means I'm going to have to wait for another month or so before it can be tested. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jesus Cormie, You have no end of trouble with that Van.

I had a similar problem a few years back on a micra I had bought. (Not same technical problem). It was back 3 times under warranty. The fourth time I brought it back, they tried charging me for a service, even though I only wanted the intial problem fixed. Drove the car off in a dispute, but the problem crept up a few hours later. Brought it back and told them that if they want to charge me for a service when it was in for a warranty repair, and then the problem came back up, I would take them to court. Mention of a solicitor got them to fix everything up perfect.

Simplest thing to do is assume its the same fault when talking to them. Before they carry out any charged works, AFAIK you have to sign something to authorise it. So if they do the work, without prior authorisation, tough titties on the garage i think (if anyone can confirm/deny this, would be beneficial)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, if my previous dealings with them are enough to entitle me to drive off without paying:confused:

I certainly never signed anything and when I was getting them down to 600 from 630 because of the way I was told 70 for the door and it cost 130 or so in the end, I said I still wasn't happy with 600 but what choice do I have, they said they could go out and disassemble it and take the part back out:rolleyes:

Anyway, I never agreed to pay for anything this time so I'm hoping he doesn't confuse things by asking me to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cormie.. Looks like you where sold a lemon and nothing you do is going to fix it. You may be just throwing goog money after bad on the van.

But back to your question, since this garage didn't do the initial work on the van then I'd say you don't have much chance of driving off without paying. The best you may get is just pay for parts. But if you want to drive off without paying, check before going into the garage see where your van is parked. Some garages block in troublesome customers vehicles incase they don't pay. And if you're blocked in then you've no chance of getting away without paying.

I'd say the only way you could get some money is to go back to the original garage with all your invoives and see if they'll give any money to you as their work wasn't up to standard

Thanks for your contribution:)

But the original garage only did work on the clutch and didn't replace the starter properly, which I paid the guys in Mountown €200 to do so they should have done it up to merchantable, safe quality. I reckon I have a case for not paying anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

True, sorry your 1st post was long and I missed that bit. I'd say you'd have a good agrument for getting away without paying, but god knows if they'll let you away for free. Best bet would be to start looking for free, if no joy go for discount.

• Advertisement

Great, he didn't charge. That's a big relief, wasn't in the mood to argue:)

There's a brand new starter in there too so let's just hope it doesn't act up anymore!

Advertisement