Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest in attic

Options
  • 05-06-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Doing a bit of work last night which involved running some cable into my attic. Crawled right into the corner of the attic and was pulling the cable through only to glimpse something hanging from the inside of the roof (right in the eaves). After poking the paper-like object with a stick a couple of times, I quickly realised it was a wasps nest..

Now I don't have any real problem with them being there although I do need access to my attic from time to time. My main concern is that the nest is above our and the children's bedroom and I'm concerned they'll access one of the rooms (probably highly unlikely)..

So I suppose a couple of questions..
    How dangerous will accessing the attic be during the summer months (I occassionally need to reset a broadband router that is up there).

Should I be looking to get rid of the nest or should I just leave them be? I believe that they will only use the nest for one year and then abandon it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I had a MASSIVE nest in my ceiling space last year.
    It was approx 15in x 18in and 8 inches high - truly amazing.
    The wasps did get into the front room as a result of the downlighters fitted in the ceiling, so, if you don't have any of these, then there shouldn't be a huge concern. They do abandon the old nest at the end of the year, but they will repopulate the same location. I had to seal up the gap where the soffits meet the wall with an oil based mastic, it was 2cm wide in places. You need to ensure that you have adaquate vents in the soffit before doing this.

Unrelated - I was toying with putting a router in my attic also, but I have reflective metalic foil on the ceiling plater-boards which apparently reduces the wireless range - do you have a single or two stories? Do you have the same foil? How is the signal...?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello paulocon.
    I was involved in a boards.ie thread on this subject, so I ran a search.
    Heres what came up.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=wasps+attic

Hope it is of some help, as a lot of these topics seem to open a hornets nest of debate.

Advertisement