Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers setting up camp in Sandyford

Options
  • 05-06-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

I got the Luas to work this morning, and was amazed at the 'camp' that the travellers have set up for themselves in Sandyford - I think its Blackthorn road?

They have about 4 caravans, a picket fence, a load of pot plants and trees and across the road, they have a very large water container and a sink, just sitting there on the curb! They have completely taken over that junction! There is also a hose pipe going across the road and connecting to a supply belonging to one of the businesses.

I just think its unbelievable the way they are allowed make such a mess in the middle of an industrial estate - i've no problem with travellers generally (each to their own and all that), just the dirt and rubbish they leave behind. Looks like this gang are not planning to travel again anytime soon!

What are the legal implications here? I'm sure the local businesses are not too happy - is there anything anyone can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There are no legal implications, they're above the law. If you or me were to attempt to set up home on private land like that we'd be locked up. They'll probably be moved along in a month or two after a nice 'incentive' from the local businesses affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Don't worry , it's on the south side, they will be moved on in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

egan007 wrote:
    Don't worry , it's on the south side, they will be moved on in a few days.

They've been there 2 or 3 months I'd say .... they can stay there all they like, no skin off my nose, but I just think its strange the way they haven't been 'moved along' yet ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're there to calm house prices.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they will be there until someone offers them enough money to go. the main guy in finglas is looking for 1.6 million, which apparently he going to get, the other small guys got €150,000 each and with it being on the southside, i am sure they will be looking for much more - free enterprise eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

AFAIK, it costs over €10,000 to get a High Court injunction so they will move on for a couple of thousand and make it seem like a bargain.

Some people call travellers stupid but they are far from that. Sure in situations like this they've as much legal knowledge as some barristers.

Similar situation happened on the Nenagh bypass a few years ago. It was completed but they couldn't declare it open as there were travellors on the embankment and I’m assuming they were looking for money as they were certainly in a strong bargaining position.

The county council came up with a good solution. They planted saplings and young trees all along the road so if any caravan ever moved onto the side of the road, they could moved on for damaging the saplings/trees.

irishbird wrote:
    they will be there until someone offers them enough money to go. the main guy in finglas is looking for 1.6 million, which apparently he going to get, the other small guys got €150,000 each and with it being on the southside, i am sure they will be looking for much more - free enterprise eh?

Seriously? No wonder they're always seen driving 4x4's!

Glowing wrote:
    Seriously? No wonder they're always seen driving 4x4's!

the 4x4's are bought with the proceeds of illegal stuff they sell, ie my car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

irishbird wrote:

Are you saying that people pay illegally parked travelers to move on?

I can't see this somehow. Where did you hear this?

Edit: read back over other posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I remember passing them and they had Christmas lights on the caravans, they've been there a while.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote:
    Are you saying that people pay illegally parked travelers to move on?

I can't see this somehow. Where did you hear this?

Edit: read back over other posts

yeah, they do, its easier. the guy who was parked at Days Hotel in Ballymun got 1.5 million to move, cos he had been there are 20 years. its standard practice to move in and wait to get paid to move on. move in a building site and the builders will pay whatever it takes to get rid of you - hmmmmm maybe i should try this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

If you or me were to attempt to set up home on private land like that we'd be locked up.

Oh that sounds like a challange -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You cant live as a traveller in a modern day major European city. It just doesnt work. Their culture and tradtion (and im being careful not to knock it) just doesnt fit into a hustle and bustle busy city thats growing at the rate Dublin currently is. Its one thing to live that kind of life style down the country...but camping up at the side of the road in Dublin city? What kind of a place is that to bring up your children ?

I never understood halting sites either. Travellers choose the live the way they do because its part of their tradition & culture right ? How do halting sites fit into that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Lenin

irishbird wrote:
    yeah, they do, its easier. the guy who was parked at Days Hotel in Ballymun got 1.5 million to move, cos he had been there are 20 years. its standard practice to move in and wait to get paid to move on. move in a building site and the builders will pay whatever it takes to get rid of you - hmmmmm maybe i should try this myself

Reminds me of a picture I saw before with a guy from China who wouldn't move out of a bunch of crappy flats. He wouldn't accept money I think, so the construction company started building around him...I'll try to get the pic

ah heres a link with the story too http://chinaview.wordpress.com/2007/03/25/the-hardest-nail-house-in-china-photo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The best way i ever seen this handled before was in waterford. "they" waqited for the cream crackers to loeave the 'vans and petrol bombed them. Sicne then they dont come out of the haulting site much. Pretty dangerous way of doing it really, gas canisters and little micky jo, milley, paddy ect ect could have been near.

I work in sandyford, and i havnt noticed the cream crackers anywhere.

Anti wrote:

They're on the road that runs between the Atrium and the big Leopardstown roundabout .... near Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

They're camaflogued so bcarful k?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're camaflogued so bcarful k?

They've started breading with ninjas.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Anti wrote:

how could you miss them?

the guys in work have nicknamed it tinker town. its right at the junction between the roundabout, the road to the luas, and the crossroads to microsoft/the beacon.

Its so funny seeing them in the mornings, sitting at their park bench in their pyjama's on the foot path eating their breakfast, watching the traffic/suits going by. A grand life to be sure!

They we're settled down by the luas carpark/new dev. but i think they were paid off to move... 100 yards up the road :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

they are there since last November.....
    I see the kids going to school in the morning though so they are well settled.

• Advertisement

they are there since last November.....
    I see the kids going to school in the morning though so they are well settled.

the little ginger feckers, yeah, they get on my bus. well behaved suprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Travelers used to hold out so they would get cash to move on I don't know if this is the case. I've seen the guards up with them on more then one occasion and they have been there since before christmas.

I don't know how there isn't a black and white law covering this sort of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pnd82

Have had many rows and stand offs with travellers over the years as we own a large site in the middle of a midlands town,
    Have used various methods to get rid of them,
    First time i spread pigs blood on the site got rid of them but caused trouble with neighbours and town was very smelly for a week or so,
    Second time hired a bulldozer and told them i was going to take out each and every caravan one by one. they eventually said they would leave when i offloaded the bulldoxer from the lorry
    Third time was alot easier just went completely psycho and matched the abuse and threats i was getting.

Each and every time cops were unable to do anything only ask them to leave and get laughed at. twice they looked for money off me and Every time i told i would shot and killed and had every threat under the sun made at me.
    should be more laws and more severe ways of delaing with these people when they attempt to set up camp on private property

pnd82 wrote:
    should be more laws and more severe ways of delaing with these people when they attempt to set up camp on private property

they should all the rounded up and shipped to bare island in cork, then destroy the ferry. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if they are like the fellas in snatch, viva la travellers

the dag, the DAG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

irishbird wrote:

Lets become a traveller and make free money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

they should all the rounded up and shipped to bare island in cork, then destroy the ferry.
    Yeah we should put them all in a big camp site and make them take nerve gas showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Na, we'll build a barbecue room. A massive room in the middle of nowhere; round all the travellers up and put them inside. Then pump some petrol through the sprinklers, bolt the door shut and **** a match through a small opening in the wall!!!!!

Is there not a big halting site just up the road near Bewleys and the M50 roundabout? Wonder why they don't camp there instead, unless it IS money they're after....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Moved from After Hours.

Advertisement