Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers setting up camp in Sandyford

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They are there because their kids are getting help from STAG-Southside Travellers Action Group. They are based in Sandyford Industrial estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ah i work in Microsoft. So i walk from the luas up and dont see them, What a shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Think a couple of cream crackers set up camp in templeogue a couple of years ago somewhere outside the Faughs GAA grounds, they lasted about 2 days someone petrol bombed the caravans. Don't like them at all very cruel to their animals.

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

The particular group of travellers in question have been living in the Sandyford Industrial Estate for coming up to two years now.
    They were originally down by the Stillorgan Luas line until the Beacon Apartments meant that they had to re-locate.

Living quite close by I haven't heard any complaints at all about them.
    When they moved up to beside Woodies they left the area they had been living reasonably clean and in order.
    A few of the young lads used to do a bit of begging at the luas stop but were never threatening or abusive, I even saw one of them hold the door open for a woman who was rushing to get her ticket out of the machine so that she wouldn't miss the tram and he didn't even give her a sideways glance to get any money from her for his trouble.

They keep their home in good condition and take pride in their surroundings.
    The mess up that way at the moment is purely caused by all the roadworks going on around them.

They're alright in my book and I wouldn't be the most tolerant person out there.
    Don't tar them all with the same brush guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

*wipes eyes*

Wait, where are the PC brigade? They used to report these threads for locking 10 minutes into their existence. However they dont seem to be around as much as before.

*bets 50 euro the opinions of many of them have changed after having been assaulted/robbed/negatively affected by them in the last few months*

Honestly, they are joint with central bank rocker kids and Roma beggars in terms of what Ireland could live without. Actually scratch that, at least most rockers grow out of it and actually get a job at some point. As someone said, if they tried this pay us and it will work out cheaper scam on property I owned, it would be two grand to some heads to burn their vans in the dead of night.

When they moved up to beside Woodies they left the area they had been living reasonably clean and in order.
    A few of the young lads used to do a bit of begging at the luas stop but were never threatening or abusive, I even saw one of them hold the door open for a woman who was rushing to get her ticket out of the machine so that she wouldn't miss the tram and he didn't even give her a sideways glance to get any money from her for his trouble.

Meh, maybe, after so many years of nothing but negativity from them its hard to care. Even if they are respectful, they shouldnt be begging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Meh, maybe, after so many years of nothing but negativity from them its hard to care. Even if they are respectful, they shouldnt be begging.

Tbh, settled people bring up their fair share of brats.
    The Gopher wrote:
    *wipes eyes*

Wait, where are the PC brigade? They used to report these threads for locking 10 minutes into their existence. However they dont seem to be around as much as before.

There was an exodus after we told them we were all paedophile apologists. Their departure was met with much rejoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

cance wrote:
    they should all the rounded up and shipped to bare island in cork, then destroy the ferry. :eek:
    Noone deserves to be sent to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Goldfinger

The particular group of travellers in question have been living in the Sandyford Industrial Estate for coming up to two years now.
    They were originally down by the Stillorgan Luas line until the Beacon Apartments meant that they had to re-locate.

They keep their home in good condition and take pride in their surroundings.
    The mess up that way at the moment is purely caused by all the roadworks going on around them.

They're alright in my book and I wouldn't be the most tolerant person out there.
    Don't tar them all with the same brush guys.

You're right, that group certainly aren't the worst, but they're not the best either.
    They at least have put out a few flower pots and the like outside their caravans which certainly make a difference, but the place is still absolutely destroyed by them and I'm getting a little sick of them playing chicken with me by deliberately swerving towards me in their Hi-ace (why is always a Hi-ace?) as I cycle past their encampment. They keep lighting fires on the side of the road which is really annoying too. I was always under the impression that was illegal.

I'm one of the poor buggers who has the misfortune to live in the apartment block across the road from the travellers, just a few feet really, (with my bedroom window facing them) and when the industrial estate goes quiet after around eight at night the travellers are all you can hear- their ridiculously noisy generator (more than a few sleepless nights from that thing), their habit of playing Joe Dolan at one in the morning so loud it'd wake the dead, and this is on a weeknight, and best of all the fights.
    They insist on coming back home at half six in the morning, absolutely muntered, and pucking the heads off each other while 5 and 6 year old kids watch and assist them as they pause to put on boxing gloves that the children have brought out.

They've been there for almost six months believe it or not, and now that I think about it, I reckon that's enough for me.

Obviously, my enquiries to Stepaside garda station about the legal status of such an encampment, and whether there were plans to house them somewhere or just to move them on from land where they're clearly trespassing was met with much chortling and stifled guffaws by the fine member of the force I was dealing with :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Tha Gopher wrote:
    *bets 50 euro the opinions of many of them have changed after having been assaulted/robbed/negatively affected by them in the last few months*

Dam bloody straight. Its only a matter of time before most people are messed around by travellers in some way or another. The majority if not all of the traveller apologists I've come across have never had any contact with them. I live near a halting site and have been saying for years that it is only a matter of time before someone dies a s a result of extremely reckless driving on their behalf. A few weeks ago i was proved correct as anyone who follows the news will know.
    A large majority of them derive their livelihood from crime and i firmly believe that if one lives in close proximity to a site then ones life expectancy is severely compromised.
    Remember underestimate their capacity for inhumanity at your own peril.

Preusme you are from Tallaght, regarding the tourists mown down? As bad was the case there years ago with the girl nearly killed by two gangs of them battling in their cars, then intimidating the familiy out of the area. tbh many of the comments by the pro side in the numerous debates on the issue here over the years are grossly offensive to working class people who dont get spoon fed by the state (as people said, unless your surname is McDonagh/Ward etc and your family has been doing it for generations, you arent allowe to camp anywhere you like)

What annoys me is that, like the case of that kid, or attacking old people down the country, so much of their activity seems to be "lowest of the low" type crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Tha Gopher wrote:
    like the case of that kid

Yeah, shocking story... They were ramming each other in their cars over some imature family fued, one of them lost control and hammered a mother and kid against iron railings. The child, Elisabeth Heaps (I think) was horrifically injured. The worst thing is, the travellers sent a car to park outside the parents house everynight (full of big travellers) to stare in at the family and intimidate them in to not sueing them!

I had dealings with travellers moving in on a sports ground. The trick is to block them in. We got a JCB and moved HUGE blocks of granite in front of the entrance and exit. They hated it. We told them we would move the block for an hour every day. They were gone the next day.

I found them very very difficult to deal with. Their thinking was so alien, they just couldn't be reasonable! They offered to buy a snarling bull mastiff that we thought would scare them!

Yeah. A friend of a friend once got scammed by them, he foolishly gave them 150 euro on the promise of a fishing rod they showed him a photo of on their digital camera. When he went down to the encampment when they didnt return they told him to go fcuk himself.

Later that night he and his brothers went back, managed to tip one caravan into the river and set two of their vans on fire :)

ROFL at the dog story :D Anyone recall when they wrecked the golf course near Dunsink, and carved the words "OPEN RAODS" (sic) into the grass? :D:D Another time I saw a protest at the Dail, on their signs they hadnt even bothered checking the spelling, it looked like a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That was certainly foolish as you say.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    Later that night he and his brothers went back, managed to tip one caravan into the river and set two of their vans on fire :)

Bad idea. He could have ended up in the joy for eleven years. They leave their kids asleep in the caravans unatended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A mate of mine had a few caravans parked up near his family home in Laois. His father happened upon them one day with the tractor and slurry trailer attached. The weirdest thing was that a valve opened up just as the tractor was passing the encampment and sprayed the caravans with slurry. How unlucky was that?! Unfortunately the travellers took umbrage to this incident and moved out of the area. Shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I used to work in a shopping centre right beside a settled traveller housing estate. There was two lovely little traveller kids who I used to pay to do things I didn't want to do in my shop like bring the rubbish to the bins or unassemble boxes. I could also give them use of the shop phone for 5 mins in return for doing a job for me.
    These poor kids had some disease where they were actually in their twenties but looked like children. They were covered in these things that looked like freckles but were bigger and they also seemed to have jaundice (yellow skin).

There were also these sisters who used to walk around the centre in the tiniest most revealing clothing imaginable with lashings of fake tan and platinum blonde hair extensions. Was quite funny to see men admiring them then the look of shock when the travller girls opened their mouths. They were harmless though.

Apart from those, every other traveller who came in was unbelievably obnoxious and often tried to distract us while others tried to steal stock from the stock room.
    I have had quite a bit of experience with them over the years and although they're not all bad, most are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Tha Gopher wrote:
    *wipes eyes*

They are all in Leitrim for the week looking for Maddy ;)

My favourite itinerant related tale; when they camped up in the car park of Phillips old Irish HQ in Clonskeagh
    and refused to move on until each family received a trailer full each of new electrical equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Going against the grain here and am going to be accused of being in PC brigade but whoever paid money for a photo of a fishing rod is an idiot and desrves to be ripped off. Hardly a valid reason for (amongst other "solutions") arson, murder, extermination.... etc. that have been mentioned on here.

If somebody ripped me off I'd be unhappy with it and more than likely violence would ensue but burnng down someone's home?? Your mate is obvioulsy one gullible tool. Tell him I have a special offer on magic beans at the moment if he's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Collie D wrote:
    Going against the grain here and am going to be accused of being in PC brigade but whoever paid money for a photo of a fishing rod is an idiot and desrves to be ripped off. Hardly a valid reason for (amongst other "solutions") arson, murder, extermination.... etc. that have been mentioned on here.

If somebody ripped me off I'd be unhappy with it and more than likely violence would ensue but burnng down someone's home?? Your mate is obvioulsy one gullible tool. Tell him I have a special offer on magic beans at the moment if he's interested.

Not slagging you, but if you believed a load of ballix like that story your alittle gullible yourself my friend. I'm sure he was just talking BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mairt wrote:
    Not slagging you, but if you believed a load of ballix like that story your alittle gullible yourself my friend. I'm sure he was just talking BS.

It was rather than the attitude than the actions I was pissed off at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Sorry if offend any liberal bleeding hearts ! But I have an absolute hatred of Travellers and all things traveller ! I used to work beside a traveller camp and every so often the travellers would Sh** into plastic bags and lob them over the wall as we were working . When something like this lands on your head its not too difficult to understand how one could form a negatrive opinion of these people.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:

You clearly have no idea how mentally unbalanced this guy is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

They are still outside woodies and i live in Beacon. I often seen them come over to dunnes. All the hub caps were stolen of the cars in the residential carpark from beacon a month ago:rolleyes: I'm sorry but i pay to live in this area and i don't appreciate the mess they bring to the area. I wouldn't mind it if they had some respect for the residents nearby who work and pay tax to live in such areas. I'm sure others would feel the same if they took up postion in their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

On Saturday morning (the 4th Oct) there was a "major public order disturbance" as the Gard told me.
    All approach roads into the Blackglen road section were cordoned off by Gards.
    When I drove up to the cordon I could not believe what I saw...
    The traveller chief had parked his jeep and caravan pointing against the traffic on the 2 in lanes into the industrial estate (leop roundabout)
    Thank God it wasnt a week day, can you imagine the mayhem that would have caused.
    There were at least 6 squad cars and numerous vans.
    I returned later to find they had been moved on, but the place looks like a bomb site.
    There are numerous sheds and piles of scrap metal / go carts and other detritus.
    There has been a car permanently parked with travellers watching the "stuff", presumably it has some intrinsic value for them.

There is also a headstone erected / planted in the concrete where one of them presumable expired. They even have 3 permanent lights around it.

I have to admit the leader of these guys was the toughest most resourceful traveller I've ever encountered.
    He circumnavigated every obstacle they placed around the site. Within 24 hours he had plugged into the water mains and the esb. He had heavy duty cables several hundred metres long.
    He's a squat guy with a huge belly. My brother was walking home one evening at about 2AM past the place and saw him spreadeagled drunk on the ground - it was frosty / sub zero temperature and the guy was snoring on the ground in a string vest.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cheers for that, was wondering what the feck was going on when I couldn't go that way on sat, all the radio was saying was that there was an 'incident'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone know where have they gone to so?
    Did they get paid off to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

They definitely weren't paid they fought hard.

I believe the whole idea of locating there in the first place was he figured he was in the path of the Luas works which are on a tight schedule so he would have to be paid to avoid a court case or a delay.
    The Luas contractors simply have worked around the site hitherto.

Advertisement