Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamp Duty Legal Challenge

• 05-06-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I bought a place in Jan 07. As a first time buyer myself and my partner paid 32K Stamp Duty!! We bought on the basis of a statement by the minister of finance stating that there would be absolutely no change in stamp duty policy

Then Whad'Ya Know? ..weeks later there is a total change in stamp duty policy!!! thats basically done us out of 32K

I'm considering a legal challenge against the government over this action.
    anyone in a similar position???

Cheers

Fats

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Without going into the merits of such a challenge (which would be against the forum charter, and in any case that's not what you're asking), was there not also talk about any proposed reforms being backdated?

Also, you might get a better reception for this in the Housing and Accomodation or in the Politics fora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Whilst, I can understand your frustration and annoyance at what has happened to you, I sincerely think that you would be throwing good money after bad if you were to mount some sort of legal challenge, as your chances of succeeding are somewhat remote in my opinion.

I suppose however, that there is no harm in talking to your solicitor who will advise you further and will probably advise you to obtain Senior Counsel's opinion on whether you have any viable grounds for challenge.

AFAIK, Stamp Duty reform will be back-dated from the 30th April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I am curious as to the basis of this putative legal challenge. Is it contract? tort? legitimate expectation? ultra vires?. It will be interesting if it ever gets going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, the exemption to first time buyers is been backdated to April 30th.
    I know this as a girl in work bought a house in May with her friend and they were FTBs.

She claims she will get 27,000 back in reclaimed stamp duty. We were all getting hassled to vote FF back into power by her since the announcment was made.

Sorry, I don't think you have a case OP.

Edit: corrected month

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fatty

Hi,

Thanks for your replys. I was just throwing it out there as an elected TD suggested that I might have a case to fight,

F.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fatty wrote:
    an elected TD suggested that I might have a case to fight,

You mean he told you exactly what you want to hear (in a vague, non committal way). I imagine this particular TD is from a party which is certain not to get into power with FF.

Advertisement