Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on trains?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

What's your view on bikes not being allowed on trains? (Some trains)

I know its ridiculous to attempt to bring a bike on the Dart.... I asked at Dublin Connolly station if I could bring my Mountain Bike or my road bike on the Connolly to Wexford train line. They said no! I think it's a terrible idea not allowing people with bikes on trains. Wicklow is one of the most nicest counties to cycle in but it's awkward to get to if you don't have a car...

Wasn't the Connolly > Wexford line served by the Intercity trains about 3-4 years ago? Now there serve it with those Commuter trains which have no space for bikes!

I find it very annoying and would love to see this rule lifted for this route particularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's outrageous that they don't allow bikes on Dublin's suburban train services, never mind the Dublin to Wexford service. I sincerely hope the Greens kick some Iarnrod Eireann ass on that score if/when they get into government. (That's if they haven't already sold their souls to the Soldiers of Destiny.)

With all the noise Dublin's various local councils make about encouraging cycling, it's utterly hypocritical that you can't take your bike on a train.

What's your view on bikes not being allowed on trains? (Some trains)

I know its ridiculous to attempt to bring a bike on the Dart.... I asked at Dublin Connolly station if I could bring my Mountain Bike or my road bike on the Connolly to Wexford train line. They said no! I think it's a terrible idea not allowing people with bikes on trains. Wicklow is one of the most nicest counties to cycle in but it's awkward to get to if you don't have a car...

Wasn't the Connolly > Wexford line served by the Intercity trains about 3-4 years ago? Now there serve it with those Commuter trains which have no space for bikes!

I find it very annoying and would love to see this rule lifted for this route particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

I emailed The Greens a couple of times regarding this issue and got no reply from them. Hopefully when the cabinet go back to work on Friday will respond to my email(s)

Yeah, Bikes on all trains would be a far greater idea. I hope the Greens go into goverment with Fianna Fáil....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Have you considered taking it on without asking? :)

Not that I would condone you do that sort of thing...

It's extremely hard to do so at Connolly. Was possible before renovation's took place. They would also fine you for breaching their safety rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As you say, it's because Wexford is now a "commuter" line and the trains don't have a guard's van. In other countries (such as Germany) bikes are allowed off peak on commuter lines in particular carriages. Then again all is not necessarily rosy on the continent- try getting a bike from Madrid to Santiago and you may be happy with what we have here on the (non-commuter) long-distance lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

well over in hungary and the other ex soviet bloc countries pretty much all trains allow bicycles onboard and on BUdapests equivalent of the dart too, it's fantastic and it only costs a euro to bring a bike, and when there is no bike carriage you can just bribe the inspectors to let them put it in the corridor, that's what a friend of mine was forced to do the other week, good old eastern europe

The fact that the guard's van has traditionally been the place for bikes on inter-city trains only proves how low on the priority list the carrying of bikes has always been (even though they'll charge you €8 for it these days).
    blorg wrote:
    As you say, it's because Wexford is now a "commuter" line and the trains don't have a guard's van. In other countries (such as Germany) bikes are allowed off peak on commuter lines in particular carriages. Then again all is not necessarily rosy on the continent- try getting a bike from Madrid to Santiago and you may be happy with what we have here on the (non-commuter) long-distance lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Interesting, on NI railways, all the trains are commuter trains and carraige of up to 4 bikes per 3 cars is permitted, unless space needs to be made for wheelchairs. Good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I was going to recommend a folding bike as used by lots of London commuters but I see you're talking about serious cycling rather than A to B commuting.

The problem is always going to come down to passenger space to be honest. If a train is packed with commuters then room for bikes isn't a high priority for these people. I'm not sure why they won't allow bikes at weekends or even during off-peak hours on weekdays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Faced this issue a little when coming back from a trip from france last year we had cycled to rosslare but on the way back we where getting the train. We couldn't just buy the tickets as the chap had to check whether we would be allowed bring them as it was at the discretion of somebody.

Train was a commuter with no guard van. We where allowed to bring them on put the two bikes in a wheelchair area (lots of space no ones way). The guy who I presume ok'ed it got on the train had a go at us threatened to not let us take the journey dispite us pointing out we had ok'ed it and bought tickets. Had us move them down to another carriage and put them in the exact same space. Presumably his logic was that a wheelchair user would get on the middle of the train

Not been on the bike in a while but this topic caught my eye :)

• Advertisement

Yeh I wouldn't be caught dead on a Folding Bike, no offense! :D Hopefully the Irish Government do more to tackle this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeh I wouldn't be caught dead on a Folding Bike, no offense! :D Hopefully the Irish Government do more to tackle this problem
    Oh yeah they look stupid but believe me if you had a long train commute to London every day and then the choice of a 30 minute walk or 10 mins on stupid looking bike every day, you'd choose the stupid looking bike every time, especially in a city as anonymous in London :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

You used to be able to take them on the old trains. There is supposed to be new long-distance type trains on the rosslare line soon, so perhaps that will improve things.

I think you'd have better luck on Bus Eireann. Two people took bikes on the bus I get into Dublin the other day, so I presume it's ok on other routes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

it would really encourage people to cycle more I reckon. If a cycle path was completed the length of the DART line (as has been mooted several times) and people were allowed take bikes on the DART (even if only off-peak), then there are a lot of people who would perhaps get the DART into work and cycle home - especially in the summer months.

On the subject of other countries - in Oslo you can bring bikes on the underground free of charge. Downhill MTB riders use the train regularly - one of the lines snakes up a hill and they buy a daypass and use it to get back up after a run down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

iOn the subject of other countries - in Oslo you can bring bikes on the underground free of charge. Downhill MTB riders use the train regularly - one of the lines snakes up a hill and they buy a daypass and use it to get back up after a run down.

Pretty good way of using the system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The San Francisco/San Jose service (Caltrain) have space for 16 or 32 bikes. It was introduced when I lived there (~2000) and was often over-subscribed (cyclists would simply have to wait for the next train!)
    The Baby Bullet expresses have proven so successful that some trains have been running out of spaces for bikes, and at times nearing capacity for passengers.
    Their meaning of "nearing capacity for passengers" means that one or two people don't get a seat. They don't know what over-crowding means.

Bikes were rested on each other. People would put a tag on their bike to say where they were getting off. It is a great service.

Caltrain also has individual bike lockers at some stations. They are only $66 a year!! As they are individual, they are quite secure, though they do take up a decent bit of space.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd love to see them strip the seats from one carriage on every DART and commuter traien and allow people to pull their bikes on.

Some photos of the Caltrain setup:
    Quiet bike (train)car
    Full bike car
    Bike lockers (sideways view; they look like double stacks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidj

Its not that far to cycle to wicklow and have a good long spin while there even if you do happen to live out as far as Malahide ect,its just going to be a day long trip.Last summer when I was heading back from a spin to Arklow I got a flat just outside greystones so I just walked my bike on to the dart with out even paying a cent,pretty easy to get away with on the weekend most of the time I'd say.

davidj wrote:
    Its not that far to cycle to wicklow and have a good long spin while there even if you do happen to live out as far as Malahide...
    Er, yes it is - over 50k Malahide-Greystones (following the coastal route, but you don't save that much even if you diverge and go a less pleasant way.) A 100k round trip just to get to the start point for a spin is not trivial!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    Pretty good way of using the system :)
    Even better in the winter when you can rent a toboggan at the top for the day! :D Oslo is definitely worth a weekend trip in the winter - snow on the toboggan track from about mid-December to mid-March.

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

blorg wrote:
    Then again all is not necessarily rosy on the continent- try getting a bike from Madrid to Santiago and you may be happy with what we have here on the (non-commuter) long-distance lines.

Maybe you tried one of the fast trains. If you use a "Regional" train (less comfortable and slower, but cheaper), bikes are in for free and without hassle. In here, excluding the "Enterprise", all trains are third class, tickets cost a fortune even though you don´t secure a seat, and still have to pay to throw the bike into some dirty and smelly corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey, if women are allowed on without folding up their buggies...

This really annoys me too. I've started cycling a lot lately and would love to take my bike into town on the train to cycle to college.

But alas, it would appear that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Titiritero wrote:
    Maybe you tried one of the fast trains. If you use a "Regional" train (less comfortable and slower, but cheaper), bikes are in for free and without hassle. In here, excluding the "Enterprise", all trains are third class, tickets cost a fortune even though you don´t secure a seat, and still have to pay to throw the bike into some dirty and smelly corner...
    I'm aware of the Regional trains all right, but they only go within the communities (relatively short distances) AFAIK? Not to Santiago, anyway. The only option for a bike on the cross-country routes is to take it on a night train and put it under your bunk in a six-person berth. Only catch: it won't fit, everyone knows this, and it causes untold stress for the guard on the train who swears at you and threatens to throw you off before finally backing down and putting all the bikes into his sleeping compartment. On the train from Irun there were four other cyclists, the poor guy had to stack six bikes in his sleeping compartment and I don't think this left much room for him.

Next time I bring my bike to Spain, I would definately plan around only using the regionals though, certainly, and do it in stages or something.

blorg wrote:
    A 100k round trip just to get to the start point for a spin is not trivial!
    Agreed.
    It takes me the guts of an hour to cycle from Carpenterstown to the first hill south of Tallaght.
    If I cycle west (direction of Clonsilla, Leixlip) I'm on quiet roads within minutes.
    From Malahide one could cycle north or west. It won't be hilly but it will be nice.

Of course, it would be nice to be able to bring the bike on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you just got a massive bag, took your wheels off and put the frame and wheels in the bag, they can they stop you for bringing a big bag onto the train? Just a jumbo black sack even, tie it to a rail for when you need it on the way back and away you go:) ?

There's a good comedy sketch idea there...
    cormie wrote:
    If you just got a massive bag, took your wheels off and put the frame and wheels in the bag, they can they stop you for bringing a big bag onto the train? Just a jumbo black sack even, tie it to a rail for when you need it on the way back and away you go:) ?

cormie wrote:

That might be the way to go methinks. They wouldn't stop you if you were just carrying a frame or if you were carrying two wheels, so maybe if you had them all in a nice sized bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

o1s1n wrote:
    Hey, if women are allowed on without folding up their buggies...
    Why, do men always fold their buggies?

I've taken my bike on the enterprise a couple of times. I had to buy a ticket and it was expensive enough but cycle Dublin to Belfast, have lunch with friends and train it back is a nice day out. My only objection is that they insisted on putting the bike on the train themselves. They will not let you lock it and the carraige it's in is open. My bike cost a couple of grand, it could so easily have gone mising.

I was planning to take my bike down to Cork on the train this weekend. I guess I'll have to look into it a bit closer now. I didn't realise it wasn't possible to take bikes on all trains.

• Advertisement

It's very easy to take the bike to Cork, I do it regularly. Goes in the guard's van, you put it on yourself. I bring cable ties and hang it from the hooks on the wall- brake lever (drop bars) over the front hook (with padding underneath, t-shirt or whatever) and back wheel cable-tied to the back hook. Front wheel I take off and cable tie to the middle hook but you may not need to do this depending on the size of your bike, mine (58cm) is just a very little too big to fit in the space. This arrangement eliminates the possibility of it falling over and so far so good with no damage. Remember to bring a small scissors to retrieve the bike of course.

Cost is a bit steep, €8 each way, but I believe this is the same for any distance so you are getting your value with Cork.

Advertisement