Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on trains?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks Borg, saved me a bit of time doing that research. My bike is only a 52 cm so might fit but I'll bring a little tool kit just in case I need to play about. Now I don't suppose you want to suggest a hilly route of about 100 miles for saturday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

I didn't realise it wasn't possible to take bikes on all trains.

It's not possible to bring them on commuter or Dart trains.. Intercity Trains its possible

Get the Intercity back on the Wexford line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

surely if you say take off the front wheel you could get it onto the dart, I suppose this only applies to the quick release wheels out there. anyone tried to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

or to take that arguement further. If I put it in a bike box. Is it still a bike (needing a ticket) or a large suitcase (no ticket)? Still 16 eurp return is a fair price and I'm happy to pay it if bike is carried safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there are new intercity trains being introduced on the wexford and sligo lines later this year, so its only a temporary problem. (though I did hear somewhere that there would only be 1 bike space per train which is a bit poor).

I occasionally see bikes on the dart and commuter trains but I presume these have been snuck on or the driver is turning a blind eye because its quiet. Don't see why they shouldn't be allowed off-peak, but Irish Rail aren't really interested in catering to their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Well said... Good news on the new trains for the Wexford line along with the Sligo one.

1 bike per train is unacceptable. Irish Rail should get up of their arses and think about what they should do to make passengers happier...

Thers a fair few who would like bikes to be allowed on all trains but not at peak hours..

They should allow bikes on trains from 10.30am - 15.00pm and not allow them back on trains until peak time is over after 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=12069&in_page_id=2

Bikes banned but bulk not
    Thursday, April 20, 2006

A commuter is getting round a train company's rules by disguising his bicycle in gift wrap.

Angus Macfadyen was left stranded at London Bridge station because of a South Eastern ban on taking cycles on trains during peak hours.

The BBC cameraman said: 'I asked the stationmaster if there was any limit on carrying bulky luggage or parcels and he said there wasn't. He agreed that I could take my bike on if it was gift-wrapped. His parting words were, 'Make sure it has bows on it'.'

After a trip to WH Smith he 'disguised' the bike — despite the handlebars sticking out — and was allowed on the platform.

Mr Macfadyen, 34, said it was 4.30pm when he was turned away and the train was not full. 'Station staff have been told to make no exceptions but they know there is often spare space and it is possible to be flexible,' he said.

South Eastern, which has recently begun rigidly enforcing the ban between 7am and 9.59am and 4pm and 6.59pm on weekdays, said overcrowded trains could be delayed by the time needed to load and unload bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

wahlrab wrote:
    surely if you say take off the front wheel you could get it onto the dart, I suppose this only applies to the quick release wheels out there. anyone tried to do this?

I used to bring my bike on the Dart a lot. I'd just release the front wheel before I walked into the station, and carry the bike to the ticket desk. If you ask, they may say no, but if you dont mention the bike, most times they are not going to bother stopping you. Especially off peak. Once or twice I have been stopped, but then I just cycled to the next station, tried again and got on no bother;)

I'd usually just rest the bike against the door that wouldn't be opening at the stations, and sit down beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thanks Borg, saved me a bit of time doing that research. My bike is only a 52 cm so might fit but I'll bring a little tool kit just in case I need to play about. Now I don't suppose you want to suggest a hilly route of about 100 miles for saturday morning?
    I would imagine a 52cm would fit fine without removing wheels, and if they are quick release no tools required in any case. I wouldn't even have to remove the front much of the time, depends on which side of the train is free, it will fit either side if it is pointing forward- with the handlebars turned slightly so the front wheel is overlapping a column by 2-3cm or so- but on one side in this configuration the derailleur will be on the inside where it could knock off the wall.

Regarding routes, nothing that long as yet I'm afraid but there is a small road to Kinsale (outward part of this loop) that is certainly mighty hilly, constant up and down with relatively short but very steep climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Now I don't suppose you want to suggest a hilly route of about 100 miles for saturday morning?
    The climb up to the airport (on the way to Kinsale as blorg describes) would be quite a tough climb.

I've always wanted to start at the N8/N25 junction, cycle up the hill to Fermoy and then take back roads to Midleton (when going to relatives that live there). That would test leg stamina!

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    The climb up to the airport (on the way to Kinsale as blorg describes) would be quite a tough climb.
    Yes, it's long and steady- but I'm afraid after the hilliness of the route to Kinsale that we took it hardly seemed like a hill at all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Apologies for dragging this thread up again.
    It some info already so better than starting a new one. :)

Like a lot posters here that here in North Dublin I'd like to be able to take the bike to Wicklow at weekends.
    Cycling around Malahide and Howth is nice but it sure is getting boring!

So what are the odds of getting a bicycle on a Dart?
    I'm not talking peak times. Probably early Sunday morning so the train will be mostly empty. And return from Wicklow around 4pm so offpeak time again.

Anyone else do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

Me and my mate have done it before (with just the one bike) but you cant get it through the turnstiles (cos the ticket guy will sting you) so we had to resort to throwing the bike over the wall or walking down along the seafront which can only be done if your at certain stops (eg Blackrock, Monkstown, Booterstown, etc). Obviously not the sort of thing to be doing with a carbon fibre racer, hunk of junk montain bikes only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

blorg wrote: »
    It's very easy to take the bike to Cork, I do it regularly. Goes in the guard's van, you put it on yourself. I bring cable ties and hang it from the hooks on the wall- brake lever (drop bars) over the front hook (with padding underneath, t-shirt or whatever) and back wheel cable-tied to the back hook. Front wheel I take off and cable tie to the middle hook but you may not need to do this depending on the size of your bike, mine (58cm) is just a very little too big to fit in the space. This arrangement eliminates the possibility of it falling over and so far so good with no damage. Remember to bring a small scissors to retrieve the bike of course.

Cost is a bit steep, €8 each way, but I believe this is the same for any distance so you are getting your value with Cork.
    Thanks for the informative posts
    Just resurrecting this thread cos myself and the girlfriend are thinking of taking our bikes down to clare, question is how long does it take to get bikes out of the train, this is important cos on the way down there's the following change.

Dublin Heuston Ballybrophy
    09:00
    10:05
    Ballybrophy Birdhill
    10:10
    11:25

ps take it there isn't a way to buy a bike ticket online

RDM_83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the informative posts
    Just resurrecting this thread cos myself and the girlfriend are thinking of taking our bikes down to clare, question is how long does it take to get bikes out of the train, this is important cos on the way down there's the following change.

Dublin Heuston Ballybrophy
    09:00
    10:05
    Ballybrophy Birdhill
    10:10
    11:25

ps take it there isn't a way to buy a bike ticket online
    It's easy enough to get it out, you would want to be in the guard's van getting the bike ready to go before the train arrives in the station.

I think you can open the door OK from the inside, it's only an issue opening from the outside (you have to get them to do it.) Ultimately you can get it out through the passenger door if needs be.

That is pretty tight all the same, but if the trains were same platform (e.g. just straight across the platform to the other train, which I imagine they are) then you should be OK. The other train is probably timed for the first train and waits for it.

No, unfortunately you can't buy a bike ticket online, only in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You might want to check what train runs from Ballybrophy to Birdhill, if it's one of the commuter style trains, they mightn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Thanks for that (now to check how easy my front wheel is to take off-meant to be quick release but haven't done that since i got it).
    Both trains are intercity (now fingers crossed that the trains aren't on strike)

This is how I do it:

th_DSC00120.jpg

There is plenty of room for the bikes without doing this (indeed on the other side you can hang the bike without removing the front wheel.) I would hang my bike so that it wouldn't fall over or damage itself (it's a sensitive flower.)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Victor wrote: »
    "but not on Manualla Junction - Ballina shuttle"

I've brought a bike on it and seen others do the same on diffrent days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Best thing to do is ring in advance and check its OK. If they say its OK, make sure you get the full name of the person who said it. Sometimes I think the decision made on some trains depends entirely on the whim of the person who is supervising the queue. If you can name drop someone from the station who gave you the go ahead ("but I was talking to X yesterday and they said I'd be looked after no problem") then the conductor will say "ah sure go on then".

Advertisement