Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with sound interference when using Chorus

Options
  • 05-06-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok not really sure where I should be posting this. If it's in the wrong place mods feel free to move it.

So last week I got Chorus set up at my apartment that I recently moved into. Before this I had been using just the coaxial cable out of the wall and getting the base 15 cable channels (MTV, Cartoon Network, TV5...etc)

Once the digital box was setup I started to notice this ringing noise in the background of the sound. When I turned down the digi boxes sound and turned up the TV's sound it could be clearly heard. It was loud enough to be always heard in the background of shows where the people where just talking with no music.

At first I thought the problem was the Chorus box as I wasn't getting this sound problem with the base 15 cable channels. So I tried the box over at a friends house who also has Chorus and the sound problem wasn't happening. I further narrowed it down to being directly related to the coaxial cable coming out of the wall as the sound could be heard on the TV even when the digi box wasn't plugged in, only connected to the TV via scart.

When inspecting the coaxial cable I realised that when I went to connect to the cable connecting from the wall there was a small spark off the metal housing of the connectors when they touched. I stripped back the connector and touched only the copper cores together. From this I was able to get a picture and sound on the TV through the digi box with no interference. Eureka I thought, so the metal sleeving around the coaxial cable must be shorting somewhere along the line. So I stripped back the metal sleeving, reattached the connector and turned on the TV. I now have no interference, and a clear picture.

BUT... some channels are now NOT showing up at all. I'd say 90% of the channels are still coming through except for a handful like MTV, VH1, Living +1...etc. They are showing up as "there must be a problem in the connection to the decoder"

Also I have my PC hooked up to the TV also. When I turn on the PC I lose ALL of my digital channels?... wtf?

So my 2 problems are:
    1. Missing channels when not having the metal sleeving connected.
    2. All channels missing under this setup when PC is turned on.

My questions are.
    1. What is the purpose of the metal sleeving? Does it actual carry any signal or is it simple a ground signal? Could I hook it up to the "earth" or "negative" signal on a plug and accomplish the same thing.

2. Other than not allowing the metal sleeving to connect, would there be another way of eliminating the sound interference noise. Note: I am renting an apartment so can't go ripping holes in walls tracking down the source of this short/interference in the cable.

3. Why would turning on the PC be interfering with all the TV channels? I've tried have the PC on the HDMI and VGA connecter of the TV but with the same results.

All help is appreciated.

Advertisement