Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth - Rate plz

Options
  • 05-06-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Ok...so this is what im planning to write if character analysis comes up for Macbethor Lady Macbeth,basically I want to know what grade you would think id get with it,any help/suggestions would also be appreciated.Thanks

Macbeth

Every classic play has at least one interesting character who grabs the reader’s fascination. It is absolutely mandatory for the main character to develop throughout the play to possess the reader’s undivided attention. In the great play Macbeth, Shakespeare does an excellent job of characterizing Macbeth to own the audience’s interest. Macbeth changes his character by leaps and bounds throughout the play Macbeth.

Macbeth starts out as a well-known and respected Thane. First of all, he is absolutely trusted by King Duncan in Act I Scene II. In this scene, King Duncan gives him praise for his bravery on the battlefield that shows how respected Macbeth is. This is a great honour for Macbeth considering that King Duncan just before found out about the Thane of Cawdor trading sides. Also, Macbeth is not only respected by the King, but also by his fellow comrades. Evidence of this is presented when a bloody soldier from the battlefield exclaims to King Duncan, “For brave Macbeth- well he deserves that name”(I. ii. l. 18). Soon thereafter, we also know that Macbeth is a noble and intelligent Thane, by showing us how much he respects King Duncan. This is exposed, when he was extremely angry with himself that he thought of killing Duncan, upon hearing Malcolm named to be King thereafter. He cannot believe he thought of such a horrendous though and vows never to do it again. In conclusion, it is evident that Macbeth began the play as a much respected and noble figure.

From a respected Thane, Macbeth transforms into a tyrant King. To begin with, the first piece of evidence that suggests that Macbeth was a tyrant King is when he plans the murder of Banquo, and his son, Fleance. Macbeth unbelievingly convinces the murderers, that all of their misfortune they have encountered thus far has been caused by Banquo. More to the point, he also does not inform Lady Macbeth about the murders, and instead keeps it to himself. Secondly, the fact that Macbeth is more concerned about the security of his kingship rather than Scotland is another point that suggests he was a tyrant King. This is revealed when Lennox states, “that is swift blessing/ May soon return to this our suffering country/ Under a hand accursed” (III. vi. l. 50-52). In this quote Lennox is hoping that Macduff will return with help so heal the suffering country of Scotland. Finally, his thought process in murdering McDuff’ s family is yet another proof that shows how much of an oppression Macbeth was. While his first two murders involved some thought, Macduff’s family’s murders were more instant, and Macbeth’s entourage also killed anyone who got in the way. Another important point is how this murder was rushed and performed in broad daylight where as the first two which required some thought were done in the night. Consequently, anyone can see Macbeth’s character change from a noble Thane to a tyrant King.

From a tyrant King, Macbeth yet again changes his character to a dysfunctional being. For one thing, one of the major problems with Macbeth was his obsession with the witches. This showed he was mentally unstable because he could not do anything productive and was constantly thinking about the prophecies. Even though Macbeth knew he was losing his army and that Macduff was in Scotland to get help from King Edward, he did not bother to do anything, which ultimately brought him to his death. Moreover, yet another observation that suggests he was a lifeless body was when Lady Macbeth passed away. When she died, Macbeth acted as if nothing had happened and seemed rather disturbed it had to happen at such a pitiful time. He did not even bother to take a moment to mourn her death. Similarly, Macbeth proves to us he is a dysfunctional being, by going out to fight Malcolm’s army. After successfully defeating Young Siward, Macbeth triumphantly states, “ Thou wast born of women./ But swords I smile at, weapons laugh to scorn,/ Brandish’d by man that’s of a woman born”(V. vii. l.16-18). Holding onto the last of the witches’ prophecies, and his confidence over Young Siwards death, Macbeth decides he will die fighting and receives a chance encounter with Macduff when the witches specifically told him, “Macbeth! Macbeth! Macbeth! Beware Macduff;/ Beware the thane of Fife.” (IV. i. l. 77-78). Therefore, any reader is able to identify numerous abnormalities in the function of Macbeth.

As a result the reader sees Macbeth’s character change dramatically to his unfortunate death. Macbeth’s constant change in character maintained the reader’s interest throughout the play. All in all, Shakespeare has done a great job in developing Macbeth as a character to remember. Other novels or play should follow suit with Shakespeare and try to include a character whose personality is dynamic.

Lady Macbeth

Lady Macbeth is one of Shakespeare’s most famous and frightening female characters. When we first see her, she is already plotting Duncan’s murder, and she is stronger, more ruthless, and more ambitious than her husband. She seems fully aware of this and knows that she will have to push Macbeth into committing murder. At one point, she wishes that she were not a woman so that she could do it herself. This theme of the relationship between gender and power is key to Lady Macbeth’s character: her husband implies that she is a masculine soul inhabiting a female body, which seems to link masculinity to ambition and violence. Shakespeare, however, seems to use her, and the witches, to undercut Macbeth’s idea that “undaunted mettle should compose / Nothing but males” (I.vii.73–74). These crafty women use female methods of achieving power—that is, manipulation—to further their supposedly male ambitions. Women, the play implies, can be as ambitious and cruel as men, yet social constraints deny them the means to pursue these ambitions on their own.
    Lady Macbeth manipulates her husband with remarkable effectiveness, overriding all his objections; when he hesitates to murder, she repeatedly questions his manhood until he feels that he must commit murder to prove himself. Lady Macbeth’s remarkable strength of will persists through the murder of the king—it is she who steadies her husband’s nerves immediately after the crime has been perpetrated. Afterward, however, she begins a slow slide into madness—just as ambition affects her more strongly than Macbeth before the crime, so does guilt plague her more strongly afterward. By the close of the play, she has been reduced to sleepwalking through the castle, desperately trying to wash away an invisible bloodstain. Once the sense of guilt comes home to roost, Lady Macbeth’s sensitivity becomes a weakness, and she is unable to cope. Significantly, she (apparently) kills herself, signaling her total inability to deal with the legacy of their crimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yoink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Genius16

ok. I have has a quick look :D very quick, mind.

It seems very good BUT very analyical and you need more quotes :cool:
    Im no expert either...but you seem to be telling the story from start to end almost narrating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Mabeth -> Tragic hero. And as a tragic hero, follows the path of all tragic heros. Audience love him, then lose respect (killing of duncan), then hate(slaying of macduff's family) - then the hero does something to regain the respect (being brave and fighting with no armour) and then it is sad to see them die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Grades:
    Macbeth - B1 . It's decent, but it's not A standard, you repeat yourself an awful lot, and summarise your point in every single paragraph..and not enough quotes.
    Lady Macbeth - C1. It's far, far too short. I know, quality over quantity, but you're not going to get a good grade with two paragraphs I'm afraid..

You have a good knowledge of the text. I think your main problem in the exam on this question will be it's an overrall character analysis by you, whereas in the questions they tend to state an idea and ask you to discuss. So unless the question is just "Discuss the character Macbeth/Lady Macbeth", you're going to have to adapt your answer an awful lot..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

qz wrote:
    Yoink.
    legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I think you're a little bit overly gushing about it. Try cut down on the hyperbole a tad? Everything seems to be in extremes. I also found you're writing to be slightly overly casual in parts. Just attempt to keep the same tone throughout.

Advertisement