Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full License renewal, can I keep the old one

Options
  • 05-06-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Can I hold onto my old license when I apply for a new one?
    the tax office site says you have to include the old license with your application, but do they give it back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, you have to hand it in. Unless you told them you lost it and ask for new licence with a new expiry date.

Why would you want to keep it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Just reminds me of a question I had. When you switch from a provisional to a full license, you give in your provisional, but your provisional included a bike license as well, so they probably make you pay to get a new provisional bike license even though they took it off you in the first place! I'm just presuming that's what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tony Danza wrote:
    Just reminds me of a question I had. When you switch from a provisional to a full license, you give in your provisional, but your provisional included a bike license as well, so they probably make you pay to get a new provisional bike license even though they took it off you in the first place! I'm just presuming that's what happens.

They should give you back a provisional with bike only. If they don't you can ask for it back as it's still your licence assuming there is still a resonable time left on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

if you say you've lost your old one does it mean any additional work to get the new one?

Yeah you have to get a form signed by the Guards. Also your new one will be marked as a duplicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

So the guards aren't required to sign if it's a renewal is it?
    Duplicate, just a stamp on it I presume..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So the guards aren't required to sign if it's a renewal is it?
    Duplicate, just a stamp on it I presume..
    When you're getting a replacement, the Gardai have to sign it to confirm that you're a decent individual of good standing who would never lie to the Gardai and who has a reasonable excuse as to why the licence is lost. It's a little pointless now because your local Garda is unlikely to know you and will just sign away. It's a pain for you though.
    If it's a renewal, it obviously doesn't need to be signed, because your old licence is proof that you're entitled to a new one.

The duplicate marking is just another number beside the class of vehicle. Only someone who knows what the numbers mean will care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Like Gardaí for instance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does it matter though?

My current license is a duplicate, after I (stupidly) lost my original!

lovely stuff I'll have to come up with a good story so. Maybe it got mangled in the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tony Danza wrote:
    Not so Tony. When a person recieves a Certificate of Competency, they are assigned a driving license for that/those categories. Any outstanding categories are assigned to a new provisional license which is given without further charge.

• Advertisement

Is the form for the renewal license the same as the one for a new license?
    All I could see in the copshop was the Duplicatie/Lost and New Drivers License forms, none of them mention renewal from what I could see!!!!

Advertisement