Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista and XP Dual Boot

• 05-06-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I was just wondering if it is possible to dual boot XP and Vista, when Vista is installed first?

Cheers

SRDB20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Hiya
    It is possible, but when you do it in that order you get a bunch of conflicts (mainly errors in vista). The technician I work with spent the better part of a day trying to get it working and in the end he just remastered it and put XP on first, then Vista. Here is a guide I found: http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
    Hopefully you wont have the same problems we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Haha... I literally just came to this section to ask the very same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I do have another question though.

Lets say that you are running a dual boot system with xp and vista.

Would it be possible for xp to run something that you installed on the vista partition? A game for example?

Or is it the case that both operating systems are completly self contained?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gobby wrote:
    Would it be possible for xp to run something that you installed on the vista partition? A game for example?

Or is it the case that both operating systems are completly self contained?

By right it should work fine, but really it depends on the game, some games don't take too nicely to not being installed correctly and will complain if registry entries are not were their supposed to be.

At the end of the day its best to just try it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

For the game issue, if simply running it doesn't work then you could try installing it on both operating systems to the same location, C:\Games\Doom3 for example. That way any modifications or files are installed for both OSs but the game files don't take up twice as much space. Used to work for me last time I dual booted, Win 98se and 2000 IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers lads ill give it a go at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jor el wrote:
    For the game issue, if simply running it doesn't work then you could try installing it on both operating systems to the same location, C:\Games\Doom3 for example. That way any modifications or files are installed for both OSs but the game files don't take up twice as much space. Used to work for me last time I dual booted, Win 98se and 2000 IIRC.
    Yep this *should* work.

The bulk of your problem with modern applications, including games, is that they make a whole pile of registry alterations and register a big chunk of DLLs. Some may also install drivers. So even though you have the files there, a whole pile of other ingredients are missing if you don't run the installer.

Advertisement