Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 USB Data Modem Problems

Options
  • 05-06-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having some problems installing the above on a Vista Home Premium Laptop.

AV is off.
    Firewall is off
    Windows Defender is off
    On admin account.

The drivers for the device install correctly, then the drivers for the Virtual USB Mass storage install.

Then 10 sec later they stop, (IE Disappears from Device Manager), then they appear again etc.

Keeps going like that.

I have tried two modems now with the same results.

Laptop is a HP Pavillion.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Are they Vista compliant, i didnt think they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Yes they are.

Vista Drivers included.

Hi Panic Over.

Not quite sure what i did, but i have disabled the Mass storage driver, installed the connection program manually and all is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hows the connection going for you, whats your latency like? ping www.jolt.co.uk , whats the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yes they are.

Vista Drivers included.

did these drivers come on a cd or built into the modem or did you have to download them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

What's wrong with the other 2 modems? ;)

The Drivers cam on the Modem but i could not access them. I had to download them as well.

There are drivers for the Modem and for the Mass Storage Device.

I had problems with the Mass Storage Device. I used the downloaded files to install the software, rebooted and all worked. (Still unable to view the Mass Storage Device.)

There was nothing wrong with the Modems, just problem with the set up of the Laptop. (May have been related to the Proactive Defence in Kaspersky AV)

Can you speed test and ping jolt for us and tell us your rough location distance from mast etc.
    Thanks

As it happens i was setting it up for a friend.

Working fine in Blanchardstown with DL speed of 2.7Mbps.

However she lives in a rural area of Meath and could not get a stable connection in her house.

Had to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pjsquigley

My 3 data modem works resonably well considering my location but i am having more serious problem as reguards the hardware itself. When i plug it into the computer it works fine but then when i'm finished and try to disconnect it freezes sometimes, especially after a long connection period.

As well as this problem, other errors start to occur with the computer such as freezing, not shutting down and other glitches such as opening software applications. Another problem is when i go to 'My Computer' it starts to search for items and takes ages, or sometimes goes on forever and won't close.

The same problems occurred on both the laptop and the desktop.

Can anyone help???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marcus58

I have Windows XP Home and I installed 3 data modem. Everything OK when I got the settings right. However, one major problem. I use Microsoft Outlook Express for e-mails and any hotmail address I send to is returned as a failure but if I send the same e-mail to the same hotmail account via Internet Explorer it goes through. What can I do to fix the problem? Help!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Marcus

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use a different ISP? You need to use 3's SMTP as the server for outgoing email. However 3 is frequently blacklisted.
    You really shouldn't list your email address on a website or forums, unless it's a honeypot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

marcus58 I'd recommend against posting your e-mail address on a public forum, I;ve edited it for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marcus58

I'm a new user of boards.ie so many thanks for your help and advice. I've checked my outgoing mail server (SMTP) and it is mail-relay.3ireland.ie which I got from the 3 helpdesk. I've also asked them about this problem but they haven't come back with anything to me.

Thanks again,

Marcus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

pjsquigley wrote: »
    try to disconnect it freezes sometimes, especially after a long connection period.

As well as this problem, other errors start to occur with the computer such as freezing, not shutting down and other glitches such as opening software applications. Another problem is when i go to 'My Computer' it starts to search for items and takes ages, or sometimes goes on forever and won't close.

Can anyone help???

I Have the Same Problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

pjsquigley wrote: »
    try to disconnect it freezes sometimes, especially after a long connection period.

Can anyone help???

I Have the Same Problems!

Advertisement