Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

where to go for a pint these days?

• 05-06-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

loooking for a pub that plays decent music,
    thinking along the lines of somewhere i can have a quiet pint and listen to some decent music.

im ruling out bruxelles and fibbers for having the most godawful pints in the city,
    whelans is out due to overcorwding and im convinced its a stardust waiting to happen.
    dorans jukebox is ok, but it tends to get crap later in the evening.

so what other pubs should i be aiming for?
    the more central the better - temple bar to dorser street and anything in between.
    im convinced theres a hidden gem im mising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

there'll be good music in the basement of the international this friday. Rock Jihad is on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055099355

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

interesting, and they sell bottles of guinness ther too :)
    does it get jammed, or is there room for me to swing my cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrmm... the pints in fibbers or bruxies aren't terrible, i've had worse in bars across the city. Granted fibbers is a bit of a ****hole but during the day there's good company, especially on a wednesday. The jukebox has a decent metal section both up and downstairs (that is before the DJs come in and play the usual ****e).

Also ya can't beat a fibber's snakebite.

unfortunately, im a bit of a fussy git when it comes to my guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Achilles wrote:
    Hrmm... the pints in fibbers or bruxies aren't terrible, i've had worse in bars across the city. .
    I can honestly say I haven't had worse than fibbers. I only go in these days if a band I know is playing or if I fancy a game of drunken pool and even then I have to get the blackcurrent in my bulmers to mask the manky fibbers taste. Pints of Guinness in Fibbers is just asking for trouble. It was grand when I was a few years younger and didn't know any better but these days my gut and I take pint quality into consideration. Sometimes loud music, a pool table and hawt corset wearing goth chicks just aren't enough.

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:
    Sometimes loud music, a pool table and hawt corset wearing goth chicks just aren't enough.
    The only reasons I frequent the place! Ahh no I jest... I never said the pints in the place were fantastic... they're not... but they make my favourite concoction just the way I like it so I guess I have no reason to complain really. Although If you wanna taste liquid ****e ask them for a pint of Bavaria. That stuff on it's own is quite terrible but I can see why it's always €3 a pint of that muck in there.

Eurgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think the drinks in Bruxelles are infinitely better than in Fibbers. Although, as a personal preference, I'll always go to the Porterhouse when in Dubin. If only they could find some way of combining the metal of Bruxelles with the drink of the Porterhouse, it'd be the best thing since snake whacking day.

I think the drinks in Bruxelles are infinitely better than in Fibbers. Although, as a personal preference, I'll always go to the Porterhouse when in Dubin. If only they could find some way of combining the metal of Bruxelles with the drink of the Porterhouse, it'd be the best thing since snake whacking day.
    agrrrreed, except for the part about the bruxelles pints being nice in any way, shape or form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

rekorderlig ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

subway wrote:
    interesting, and they sell bottles of guinness ther too :)
    does it get jammed, or is there room for me to swing my cat?

depends from month to month but it doesn't get too packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Check out The Voodoo Lounge, it's under the same management as Doran's and similar type of style to the place. It's not as busy as the other places and the Guinness is quality there, I drink it myself. Whatever lagers are on tap aren't too bad either. There is a pool table, old school pacman machine and a a pizzeria there. Check out The Voodoo Lounge myspace to see what bands are playing that are good or play the music you like. The place is much more relaxed and laid back than some of the other pubs.

Only downfall is it's right along the quays (Arran quay) so hop on the red Luas and get off at smithfield to save you the 15 min walk from O'Connell. Be warned they will take some form of headcharge so the band can cover venue hire.

Drinks are much cheaper than Doran's or other city centre pubs considering the prices are always the same.

Guinness €4, Lager €4.50

Well thats enough advertising for today. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

subway wrote:
    unfortunately, im a bit of a fussy git when it comes to my guinness.
    Kehoes with and iPod and headphones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

subway wrote:
    im convinced theres a hidden gem im mising.

You could always try the Flowing Tide on Abbey Street :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    You could always try the Flowing Tide on Abbey Street :)
    I was actually only in there the other day for the first time, the place downstairs... forget it's name seems to be quite good. Although the pint of heineken I got tasted like muck...

I dunno maybe it was just a bad batch? Wasn't there for too long tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

The basement of The Flowing Tide (or 'the Neptune' as it's still called by many) is my favourite pub in Dublin. I practically lived there last summer, and will continue to do so when I move back in a few weeks. Awesome pints, great staff, decent jukebox. One of Dublin's best kept secrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Doran's is a complete pile of ****, I went there the other day after not being there for ages. They had NO Larger on tap (or ale), upstairs or downstairs, they only had Bulmers and Guinness. So I obviously got a Guinness (because cider is rank!), It was 4.60, which is way too much for a Guinness and it was the wateriest piece of crap ever, and its head was about 2 millimeters think, I didnt even drink any of it, I just sent it back (and was sufficiantly rude about it) and asked for a bottle of Pear Kopparberg and offered to pay the difference which was refused (she seemed very depressed). So I drank my Kopparberg and a friend of mine was going to the toilet so I asked her to get me a Mixed Fruits one on her way back and gave her 6 quid, thinking that'd be grand. She asked how much first and it turns out they were trying to charge €7.50 for a pint bottle of Kopparberg! Seven ****ing fifty!!! (They're not even 7% anymore!)

Christ, I was angry. Never going back there again. Seven fifty...christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Dorans pints aint great though have had worse
    Fibbers its a fairly big craphole but the jukebox is alright drinks well taps are S**t but bottles of miller suvise maybe a jegier bomb here or there.
    Bruxelles i wont go near because of the pints u get in there lol
    The voodoo only good when at a gig

forgot about the flowin tide,
    must drop back in, only prbloem is its not a late bar.

cheers for all the repsonses, nowhere new has popped up tho :(

Evolute wrote:
    Dorans pints aint great though have had worse
    Fibbers its a fairly big craphole but the jukebox is alright drinks well taps are S**t but bottles of miller suvise maybe a jegier bomb here or there.
    Bruxelles i wont go near because of the pints u get in there lol
    The voodoo only good when at a gig

pints in Brux are no worse then Fibbers - and the bottled ****e is just the same.

Stick to whiskey or vodka and ye'll be alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Never been there late at night but generally the foggy dew by the central bank does a great pint of hoegaarden(in the proper big glasses) and plays good music, but as i said never been there late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thursdays in the Porterhouse for good music (blues, or trad).

Voodoo is good for live bands and pizza.

Bruxelles I try to avoid, as the air-con is non-existant, thus I can't breathe :( Pity as I love watching the video's of whatever song is being played, on the big LCD screens.

Fibbers: its a hole, but I can breathe in there, and the music is usually good (I'm usually there for a live band). and some of the DJ's are good.

I drink apple Koppaberg, but I can only get in Pear format in Voodoo. Apple and mixed berry is available in Fibbers. Don't think they stock either in Bruxelles.

Dorans used to have a good rock DJ. Its complete **** now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

subway wrote:
    forgot about the flowin tide,
    must drop back in, only prbloem is its not a late bar.

cheers for all the repsonses, nowhere new has popped up tho :(

Flowing Tide has moved away from the whole rock thing has it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Ph3n0m wrote:
    pints in Brux are no worse then Fibbers - and the bottled ****e is just the same.

Stick to whiskey or vodka and ye'll be alright :)

Hehe never said pints were any better or worse:p the bottles are a good bit better then the foul things both pubs call pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I reckon that there should be a plan to decend on a place with a decent jukebox which is one of the ones connected to the interweb and just go and own the place.

With enough people in there on a regular bases it will become a metal/rock pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

the_syco wrote:
    Fibbers: its a hole, but I can breathe in there

With that toilet/crotch smell that forever lingers in the air in there? :D

stumbled into bruxxelles on the weekend and found them sneakily selling bottles of guinness behind the bar upstairs.
    bruxelles is my new pub of choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Thaedydal wrote:
    I reckon that there should be a plan to decend on a place with a decent jukebox which is one of the ones connected to the interweb and just go and own the place.

With enough people in there on a regular bases it will become a metal/rock pub.

hmmm thats a very interesting theory indeed.

*steals idea*

judas101 wrote:
    hmmm thats a very interesting theory indeed.

*steals idea*

too late - idea already stolen by about 2 years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Ph3n0m wrote:
    too late - idea already stolen by about 2 years :)

and where have you been implementing said idea?

• Advertisement

judas101 wrote:
    and where have you been implementing said idea?

in the best place in the world - my mind.

Nah tis been a drunken conversation of many nights over the past few years, that if I had the cash, I would bring back the one and only Charlie rock bar :)

Advertisement