Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Warranty Using Compatable Cartridges

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know if using compatable ink cartridges void the warranty of a printer ?, i'd just like to know this as a friends epson printer which is still in warranty is broken , they have compatable cartridges in the printer and i'd just like to know if this will cause a problem at the repair center.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

dont bother repairing a printer, its going to cost more than its worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

its still under warranty it will cost nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They will complain about the non-Epson ink in it, and may claim that that was the cause of the damage and so is not covered by warranty.

Check the fine print on the warranty card and the printer use documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was told a long time ago that, after buying an HP printer, the warranty would be voided if non HP branded was used in it. Buying any printers since then, I've always used the proper ink until the guarantee runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

For what it's worth, I came across this when I was browsing for inkjet refills.

"The law ensures that the manufacturer of your printer cannot legally void the warranty on your printer just because you are using a third-party manufactured item or service.

You can use a refill kit or a compatible cartridge in your new printer without fear of voiding the warranty as long as the inkjet refill or cartridge is made for your printer"

This was a UK website so whether it's applicable in RoI I can't say but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

thanks for all the replys , i know that in the US and the uk that you can use compatables without it voiding your warranty , i just can't find anything with regard to Ireland , its a pain really as the neighbour threw away the empty orignal cartridges so its either return the printer without print cartridges or with the compatables and take a chance ,the lesson here is to hold on to the orignal cartridges until the warranty is up ,
    fitz

i have contacted the European Consumer Center and see what they can find out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Try www.vikingdirect.ie - we get all our Epson cartridges from there, a lot cheaper. Tho, its more office supplies. Handy tho. :)

Advertisement