Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Van - LWB

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi,

I am looking at getting a LWB commercial van. The van will be used to transport kitchen worktops (which is usually 3.6m) to sites. I was looking at the Ford Transit ones but they are only 3.2m long. The Mercedes sprinter is longer but not sure if I need a different license for that.

What type of van can I get that can take the 3.6m worktops and don't require a special driving license.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Have a look on http://www.whatvan.co.uk. You can search by load length on there (as well as other things).

Over 3.5 Metres (no option for 3.6 metres in the Menu) it comes out with either Iveco Daily or Merc Sprinter. A standard licence enables you to drive vehicles up to 3.5 ton. The Merc vans listed in the search tell you they are 3.5ton vans - you can work out the Iveco's from the first 2 numbers (35 means a 3.5ton van).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How many worktops will you be carrying with you? A roof rack could accommodate you? I've a 99 LWB Transit (if you want to buy it? Just don't search for any of my posts here :D). But anyway, I rented a 2003 transit that was actually long enough to put 3.6 lengths of timber in when you lean them up against the section about your head on a semi high roof model. It would probably only fit about 3 worktops though:confused: You could rent one and find out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could put the worktops diagonally on edge. It gains you an extra few hundred mm.

Alternatively consider a custom van, with the cargo section extended into the passenger seat space. Just have it done properly.

Advertisement