Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Rand coin and 2 euro coin

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi. Just noticed today some shop gave me a 5 rand coin change instead of a 2 euro. Same size and colouring, beware.5-za-rand.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

They probably didn't even notice it before they gave it to you,I have seen them several times where I work,you don't notice then until they come or until you just give them to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

given the exchange rate thats a nice little profit somebody has made with that coin. I wonder if they work in vending machines?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Beano wrote:
    I wonder if they work in vending machines?

I think they used to but they don't anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Modern vending machines test size, weight, and many do "metal test", I think they can pass current through it, or some sort of magnetic field which is not similar for most metals.

There are still probably a lot of fake coins out there, saw a program in the UK that did fake £1 coins. Machine cost £250,000 to make, coins were fairly cheap after that. If you match the right metal type or similar and just stamp out slugs the same size & weight it would work.

Most coins cost more to produce than they are worth, e.g. a 50cent coin might cost €1 to make. This puts off counterfeiting, but also means the central bank pays a fortune minting new coins because of horders. All the arseholes have to do is put in a coin counting machine in the central bank that works for free, instead of those 10% ripoff machines you see in supermarkets that do it. These machines would cost a few grand and save the taxpayer millions if people had a convenient free way to count horded coins. No doubt it is the taxpayer that has to foot the bill for new minted coins.

A thailand coin is also very similar to the €2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm fed up getting those bloody coins in my change! :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rubadub wrote:
    but also means the central bank pays a fortune minting new coins because of horders. All the arseholes have to do is put in a coin counting machine in the central bank that works for free, instead of those 10% ripoff machines you see in supermarkets that do it. These machines would cost a few grand and save the taxpayer millions if people had a convenient free way to count horded coins. No doubt it is the taxpayer that has to foot the bill for new minted coins.

What ?

By definition a hoarder isn't going to trudge up to Dame St (or indeed a bank branch) to count their coins. People hoard coins to hoard them and not because they can't count them easily. If they needed the bobs they'd have no problem counting them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rubadub wrote:

All the arseholes have to do is put in a coin counting machine in the central bank that works for free, instead of those 10% ripoff machines you see in supermarkets that do it. These machines would cost a few grand and save the taxpayer millions if people had a convenient free way to count horded coins. No doubt it is the taxpayer that has to foot the bill for new minted coins.

How do you expect people to know about that service? I had no idea normal members of the public could even *enter* the Central Bank!

Most people use the 10% machines because they don't want to have to queue in their bank and/or get the resulting tuts and eye rolls from the teller who has to count up all your piggy bank money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've ended up with a few of those Thai ones. Last time I forgot about it and left it in my pocket, and it was gone a week later, so I can only presume I geve it in somewhere else as a €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Beano wrote:
    given the exchange rate thats a nice little profit somebody has made with that coin. I wonder if they work in vending machines?

Yep, the 5 Rand is worth a whole 50 cents

Folk obviously have too much money if rather than collect empty bags and count at home they are willing to pay 10% for a machine to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

parsi wrote:
    Folk obviously have too much money if rather than collect empty bags and count at home they are willing to pay 10% for a machine to do it.

This is a silly thing to say. How many people have time to go and queue in the bank, or even have a branch of their bank close enough to work to be able to go during the day? As I said already, I had no idea the Central Bank offered this service or even that they were open to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

eth0_ wrote:
    I had no idea the Central Bank offered this service

They don't. rubadub was suggesting that they introduce such a service.

I once got 10 Kenyan Shillings passed to me as a €2 coin. It's worth about 11c :rolleyes:

KSh10b.JPG

BendiBus wrote:
    They don't. rubadub was suggesting that they introduce such a service.
    Yep unfortunately they dont, I wasnt calling the hoarders arseholes, rather the government/central bank who could save a fortune not having to mint new coins if they did have the service

People hoard coins to hoard them and not because they can't count them easily.
    People who hoard stuff have mental problems, like those oddballs you see that hoard newspapers or their own excrement.
    Most people I know have a big stash of coins and it is due to them being lazy and not counting them, I probably have 200 in coins at home, small change, I fish the €2 and €1's out. For small coins If you count up the time needed to get bags, count coins and bring to the bank it is probably better to throw the coins in a charity box and just spend the time working overtime.

Supermarkets should have dishes like on toll booths where you just toss in coins and see the amount rise.

You can buy coin counters in Dunnes for €20. I have one and it's paid for itself countless times. Every evening I just throw all the change I've collected into it and every few months bring a load of filled up coin bags into the bank and collect what feels like a couple of hundred Euro of free money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

BendiBus wrote:
    You can buy coin counters in Dunnes for €20. I have one and it's paid for itself countless times. Every evening I just throw all the change I've collected into it and every few months bring a load of filled up coin bags into the bank and collect what feels like a couple of hundred Euro of free money!

FFS I'm not even going to touch this one!
    :)
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Not that i'm a millionaire or anything, but i have one of those dunnes machines and a novelty beer bottle, one of those jumbo ones where you can put coins in.

I filled it about a month ago and spent a sunday counting it, there was about 50 euro in 1,2,5 cent coins, about 200 euro in 50 cent coints, about 100 euro in 1 euro coins and about 120 in 2 euro coins, paid for my flight to NY!

mathie wrote:
    FFS I'm not even going to touch this one!
    :)
    M

G'wan, touch it! :p

I filled it about a month ago and spent a sunday counting it,
    how long did it take?
    I have one of those counters in my house too, saw my mate using it but still took him hours, really just sorts the coins into types.

eth0_ wrote:
    This is a silly thing to say. How many people have time to go and queue in the bank, or even have a branch of their bank close enough to work to be able to go during the day? As I said already, I had no idea the Central Bank offered this service or even that they were open to the public.

Nowt silly about it. Is every comment you disagree with deemed "silly" ?

Plenty of folk can get to a bank easily. Plenty can't. You could even bring your coins to the pub (as I did once).

As I said before there was a furore (Joe Duffy and Co) when th ebanks suggested that they would charge for counting coin lodgements. The charge was way way less than the 10% that these counting services offer.

Oh, and btw, the OP never said there was a machine in the Central Bank - he was suggesting that they install one.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I used the thailand 10 baht in loads of vending machines and fruit machines and shops. Only worth about 20c i think.
    http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/img5/175-227.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement