Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sylvia Plath - My analysis 32/50

• 05-06-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Got 32/50 for this

Reading Syvlia Palths poetry can be an uncomfortable experience

Sylvia Plath from the start, had a very troubled life, marred by family deaths and suicide attempts. Her works, can be described as an uncomfortable reading. Many of her Poems speak of death and despair.

In Black Rook in Rainy Weather, Plath urges nature to ''speak to her''. Her poem sets the score, to her life as she explains that she cannot live without inspiration. She cannot live without her creativity/poetry. Without it, Plath would plunge into the depths of despair. Effectively this is a poem about poetry, and portrays Plath as somehow fragile. It is also a perfect introduction to her poems that make up ''an uncomfortable experience''.

In Morning Song, we are given a complicated account of a mothers reaction to the birth of her baby. The scene is dramatically introduced. ''Love set you going like a fat gold watch''. In this, Plath shows the reader her unique characteristic of being a very deep thinker, which will prevail throughout my analysis. She mentally went through a great effort of comparison, a gold watch being compared to a baby. In this particullar poem, one would expect a joyfull poem. However, this is not the case initally. A level of honesty is experienced in the first stanza. She seems to describe the new born baby as somehow annoying. However from the middle stanzas onward a more comfortable athmosphere is brough to light. We arent told about the mother adjusting to the Child, however one line ensures us of a better relationship between the two. ''Clear vowells rose like balloons''
    This is the first we read of a somehow better feeling towards the new born baby. This poem may protray more positive feelins that negative, however, the birth of the child adds to the many obstacles that confronted Sylvia Plath.

In the poem ''Finisterre'', a situation is brought to light. The poem was inspired by a trip to Lands End, Brittany, France.
    ''This was Lands End'' ''the fingers, cramped on nothing''.
    Wholeheartedly, I think these words amount to a somewhat dire situation. Perhaps Lands End is a metaphor. Perhaps Plath is at the end, on the verge, holding on for life in a severe situation. If she loses her gri[ she plunges into the depths of despair. Deadly methaphors include; rocks, mists, cliffs. Are these words metaphors for despair. Is Plath about to plunge into darkness?
    I hope she ****ing does because my fingers are tired from typing this.
    Overall a very negative atmosphere is the dominant factor in this poem. Interestingly, however, a small piece of hope is introduced. ''But from another place tropical and blue.''
    Plath is most likely referring to heaven, is this postive?
    No. Coupled with deadly metaphors, this heavenly place still amounts to death, which plath so avidly thinks about. This poem is another brick in the wall that is an uncomfortable experience.

In Poppies in July, plath expresses her curiosity towards the illuminous flower. She envys their ability. She describes them as ''bloodied skirts''. Challenging thier capability, she appears to want death. She speaks of a ''glass capsule'' which may describe her detachment from life. She is effectively sealed off from the outside world. Plath speaks of liquor, with the abilitiy of dulling and stilling he. The seeping of liquor into her glass capsule is comparable to a gas chamber. The metaphors in thi poem, once understood, add to the already extensive 'uncomfortable experience.''

All of the poems in this analysis apart from morning song, speak about Sylvias tendancy to death. She is fascinated by death and her imagination lets her describe it in her own, imaginative way. Hermethod os choice was poetry. Ultimately, this array of poems which were consistent of an uncomfrtable experiecne, led to Plaths suicide.

Phew.

Everyone gimme a grade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

C-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Why? I got a C3 overall btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

It;s good but I'll just focus on the negatives lol

Bring in the question more. I know you state it at the end of most paragraphs but you really need to integrate it more in WHY the poems are uncomfortable to YOU. I'd bring this in even though the question doesn't refer to personal response, as your answer seems quite 'static'. Also think of new ways to start off paragraphs lol, I think if you read back you'll see a pattern develop. Also I'd work on the introduction and conclusion paragraphs, stating maybe what techniques she uses to make her poetry uncomfortable etc then go on to talk about them in the paragraphs.

"All of the poems in this analysis apart from morning song, speak about Sylvias tendancy to death."

You should integrate some similarities into the paragraphs. Not too much obviously.

"Interestingly, however, a small piece of hope is introduced. ''But from another place tropical and blue.''
    Plath is most likely referring to heaven, is this postive?
    No. Coupled with deadly metaphors, this heavenly place still amounts to death, which plath so avidly thinks about. This poem is another brick in the wall that is an uncomfortable experience."

You read that poem very differently to me, so I won't critize that part. I don't like the last line though, but maybe examiners like that type of stuff, I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Pfft dont ask where that came from.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking 'that's a little Pink Floyd' for your English exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Too short and you have a tendency to summarise.
    Constantly need to be thinking about focus, referring back to the key-terms of the question - like spank said more use of the "I felt.." "My feelings regarding this were. . " . Linking statements are important too imo.

My $0.02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

yeah i defo agree the only way this can be improved is by giving your own opinions about the poem as well.this is why they are called PERSONAL responces.keep "I" at the heart of ur answer.....such as---i find this inspiring...i felt her heart wrenching despair in these lines...i think her imagery is memorable,unique,harsh.this imagery assalted me...i found this poem deeply disturbing...my favourite poem is...this poem appealled to me because....i love her astounding language....

the examiner is looking for the students engagement with the poet,not reams of learnt off notes.say honestly how you feel and you will be rewared.eg if you dont like her frightening imagery in "elm" say so that its very violentd upsetting. hope this helps:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

by the way that last line is confusing.her poems did not lead to her suicide,it was her sad and troubled life.her poems just chroniciled this troubled life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

It's a small point, but don't refer to her as Sylvia. You probably won't lose marks but it doesn't look good.

• Advertisement

lol, I didn't notice that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

C1 i'd say, because you show understanding of the poet which picks you up the bulk of the marks but do not engage enough with the question.

hahah that's what my teacher gives everytime i hand up an answer anyway!

I don't really have a clue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

You started most paragraphs with "In...". That'll lose you some marks. And it was a bit too short too.

I'll give it a C3 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

** To Short.

** Don't engage in the question enough.

** Summarise Poems.

** Presentation is Poor and Complicated.

Grade:??? I would say a D2 45-50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Opinions on my essay??

Question: "If you were asked to give a reading of a small section of Sylvia Plath's poems, which would you choose and why?"

Sylvia Plath describes life as being "magically run by two electric currents" and these she names "joyous positive and desparing negative". To completely understand Plath's poetry, a knowledge of her life is required. Her poems mirror incidents in her life, making her poetry reflect her roler-coaster ride of emotions. THese emotions are illustrated through clever imagery and comparisons, making the reader identify with these emotions.

The poem 'Black Rook in Rainy Weather' is a suitable poem to begin with. This poem is about the agonising struggle for the inspiration that makes a poem possible. The image of the black rook "arranging and rearranging its feathers in the rain" captures your attention at the beginning of the poem. Plath uses simplie descriptive language to describe the actions of an ordinary rook. Her attention to detail is exemplified in this short opening, with the use of simple adjetives and verbs such as "wet black" and "arranging".

However, any positive imagery in the first stanza is immediately cancelled out by her confession that she is unable to find any inspiration to write her poetry. She declares that the sight of the rook is unable to inspire her fully; "I do not expect a miracle or an accident to set the sight on fire in my eye". Here, she is associating inspiration with fire and light, which mirrors her search for hope. From this point on in the poem, it becomes progressively full of more positive imagery.

In stanza 3 and 4, Plath portrays how ordinary objects in the world can sometimes "set the sight on fire" in her eyes. She believes looking at the sky might provide her with the idea of a poem. Her use of a metaphor to describe the sky giving her "backtalk" is whitty and striking. It is an ideal way to describe her search for inspiration in the sky. She believes that it is possible to gain inspiration from ordinary household objects such as a table and chair. She describes how objects glow if they were to inspire her. The comparison of light shining on these objects with "celestial burning" attaches important religious imagery to the every-day table and chair. Clearly she believes that inspiration is an important characteristic of a poet, something which she thinks she lacks.

Another glimmer of hope is then presented to us by Plath when the black feathers of the rook make another appearance by describing them "shine as to seize my senses". At the beginning of the poem, she seems to doubt that the miracle of inspiration was possible. In contrast, at the end of the poem, Plath seens content that the miracle she so badly desires will eventually come to her: "miracles occur, if you care to call those spasmodic tricks of radiance miracles".

It has often been suggested that success in any walk of life is more down to hard work and effort that to any miraculous burst of inspiration. This poem contrasts this statement by suggesting that inspiration is the key. Without the miracle of inspiration, any attempt to write a poem is doomed to failure. In Plath's poem 'Morning Song', we see evidence of a miracle of life which has inspired her to write the poem. It speaks about the miracle of the birth of her first child, something which she becomes emotionally attached to.

At the beginning of the poem, we can see how the poet feels insecure with the birth of her child. She is not embracing the child as she sees the child as being vunerable to her security: "in a draughty museam, your nakedness shadows our safety". Plath uses an odd comparison of her child to a "fat gold watch". This is a strange metaphor as the child is compared to something of high value. However, a child's value is usually considered priceless to the mother. This cements the fact that she still has not embraced the child.

Plath then gives us an image of a cloud and a mirror. This presents us with an insight into the relationship between mother and child. She describes how the cloud in the reflection of the puddle, which produced this mirror, is broken apart by the wind. This metaphorically describes the relationship between mother and child: "I am no more your mother, than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow effacement at the winds hands".

The tone of the poem then changes. Plath describes the "moth-breath" of her child waking her. She compares its breathing to a "far sea moving in my ear", attaching an unknown and expansive quality to her child. Its breathing reminds her of the tranquil stirrings of a distant sea. Initial insecurities and uncertainties seem to have been replaced with a more relaxed and tempered appreciation if the child.

In contrast with the uncertainty surrounding the relationship between mother and child, we are given a colourful description of the bond that now ties them together. "One cry" and the mother "stumbles" from the bed to tend to the child's needs. Plath mentions that she is waring a "floral" "victorian nightgown" which represents a more positive image compared to the opening of the poem where the language was dull and melancholic. She also compares her child's mouth opening to that of a cat. This is in contrast to the beginning of the poem when Plath comprises her child to a lifeless and inanimate statue; "new statue. In a draughty museum".

From this poem we see the reality of the initial feelings of some mothers. Also, we see that Plath's life has become brighter and more meaningful. She seems to have finally found the inspiration she has been looking for to write her poetry. However, in her poem 'Child', she appears to have lost all hope. This poem was written almost 2 years after 'Morning Song' and 2 weeks before she died.

In the first stanza, Plath declares that her child's eye is "the only one absolutely beautiful tihng". This implies that everything else in her life is tarnished and imperfect. She is concentration on the child's eye, expressing complete joy in the miracle of the child's birth. Her desire is to show the child all good things in life, to segregate him from the solitude she experienced in her won life; "I want to fill it with colours and ducks". The innocent world of the child is far removed from the hopelessness she is experiencing in her adult life.

Her desire to show the child everything good in life grown in the second stanza. Plath conveys images of "april snowdrops, indian pipe, little stalk" to the child. These images are unknown to the child, attaching magical and mysterious qualities to them. The sense of wonder and awe are essential parts of the learning curve of a child, and Plath wants her child to have a normal and happy life unlike her own.

Any positive connotations we gained from this poem are eliminated after the final stanza. She is unable to provide the beauty and happiness the child's eye warrants. Instead of the wonderful items mentioned in the first 3 stanzas of the poem, Plath can only provide the child with "this troublous wrigling of hands, this dark ceiling without a star". This is a cause of great concern and anxiety for Plath. She is incapable of offering the child what he deserves. The "dark ceiling without a star" is a powerful description of the mother's world ao one without hope. It allows for nothing joyous positive and is in stark contrast with the colour and innocence of the earlier lines. These final worda are negative and grim. Plath undoubtedly loves her child but seems helpless and unable to protect him from harm.

These poems I have chosen, I believe, depict Plath's struggle in life most vividly. Anyone reading or listening to these poems would understand her melancholic experiences during her existence. They portray her constant lack of inspiration and her disintegration from the birth of her second child. This is why I would choose to give a public reading of these 3 poems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Well, you've enough written anyway. So much so, I can't be arsed reading it. I'm sure it's good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'd say 70% of the essay is based on two poems Black Rook in Rainy Weather and Morning Song, like is this not too much on 2 poems? I thought a demonstration of at least 5 poems should be done, normally 6??

Regardless, the information is great and written well.
    I'd say a B2+

I only do 3-4 poems :/ Always get a good mark. WELL, things might change tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Ok, i admit...i do concentrate on morning song and black rook in rainy weather. But, with my new and improved essay (which i will obviously not be writing up) I have reduced the info on those two, especially black rook, and added in a page on poppies in july. I think its one of her most vehement and agressive pieces of work, and requires some say...because as we look deeper into the poem, we see the theme at the heart of the poem- the theme of the destructiveness of love and the depth at which she explores it.

"To completely understand Plath's poetry, a knowledge of her life is required. Her poems mirror incidents in her life, making her poetry reflect her roler-coaster ride of emotions."

I think Plath's poetry gives us an insight into her thoughts and her mind so knowledge of her life isn't really need. But as always, people interurpt things differently. I didn't do some of the poems you wrote about so I didn't read it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

OP:
    -No introduction. You need one to set out the layout of question among other reasons....
    -You don't reference the question once.
    -DON'T EVER say "most likely", it either is or isn't (based on evidence from the poem).
    -DON'T EVER ask a question then answer it like this "Plath is most likely referring to heaven, is this postive? No."
    -"Her poem sets the score", don't say colloquial phrases.
    -You need to elaborate on points like when you say "fat gold watch" shows that she is a deep thinker, how does it show that? And how does it make to uncomfortable reading (referencing the question).
    -Don't talk about the history of ANY poet, the poems provide the knowledge.
    -Link what you say about the poems together every so often.

Sorry just my two cents. Not bad though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 princessima

Yeah i'd have to agree with the rest of the people C3 t D because you didn't say anything about what you really think in detail.. Lack of detail and you only gave example of four poems .. Just sayin :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Holy thread resurrection.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement