Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4mb IBB speeds

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

im just after getting the 4mb package from IBB, and am getting download speeds according to speedtest.net) of 800kb/s, this seems kinda poor to me as it never goes over this speed, wil be splitting this coection between 5 computers in the house and im not liking where this is going. can anyone tell me if it should in fact be significantly faster or if im being greedy.

if im payin this much a month for 4mb broadband, id like to be getting the fastest speeds posible ( and plz dont go saying that i should have gone for a different ISP, on a contract)

never mind the speedtest link below, thats my speed at college

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I don't understand you.

800kb * 8 = 6400kilo bits per second

Looks like you are on a better package than 4Mb per sec.

Or did you mean 800 kilobits? Then something is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i cant remember whether its 8 bits in a byte or 8 bytes in a bit... anyway, www.speedtest.net is telling me my downlod speed is 800kb/s (it should be 4000 i think) is this normal due to the contention ratio or am i being raped?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i cant remember whether its 8 bits in a byte or 8 bytes in a bit... anyway, www.speedtest.net is telling me my downlod speed is 800kb/s (it should be 4000 i think) is this normal due to the contention ratio or am i being raped?

It's 8 bits in a byte.
    IBB have high contention ratios if I remember correctly. So this could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Measure it a couple of times on different hours during the day.

If you always are around 800kbps something is wrong and I would call them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm on IBB fixed wireless, 2mb connection

my download rates are consistently 200 - 230 kBytes per/sec
    800 seems pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

200-230 kBytes = 1600-1840 kbps , about double what he is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

im on breeze 3Mb and i get approx 300 KILOBYTES per second (no confusion there) most of the time.

800KBps would be excellent in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

The IBB contention for 4MB speed is 24:1. Also if your speed is 800kbs then that is twice what you are supposed to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What did you base that on?? Contention doesn't mean that someone is supposed to be affected by it. It's only a risk with the broadband service, that speed may drop.

And 800 kbps is 1/5 of 4096 kbps. If it never goes over that speed, then there are issues to be resolved. Contention would fluctuate a lot through the day and tends to be worst in weekday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Have you contacted Irish Broadband support about it?
    They usually have a bunch of tests and checks that they can perform on their end to see what the problem is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement