Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth in Modern Life... help?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

as im hearing a few people are gettin hints that the question -

"How does the play Macbeth realate to Modern life, and today's society?"

is coming up tomorrow... (oh god) well anyways, the way to go about it is to relate the themes with today's society; ambition, loyalty, politics (of a bad leader) and so forth..

just wondering does anyone have any notes/ideas to add to it? :D

*much appreciated* xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sully88

you can bring kingship into it as well by saying some counties prosper under great leaders, while others struggle under tyrants and opression due to their leader or king putting his own need for power above the welfare of his people.
    You might even be able to squeez 2 paragraphs out of that if your lucky and give modern day examples. :D
    Why do these people seem to think that this is coming up? Do they know something we dont? lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Well i hope kingship is on the paper because its a handy question!! But i have a prediction! It can be taken with a pinch of salt but...... I was thinking last year paper one was based on the theme of pretence ,, how did the examiners pick that i donno but they must have thought it had some relevence to todays world and keeping in mind that the same people are most likely setting the paper again this year well ,,they seem to like the idea of pretence,, so much so they dedicated a whole paper one to it last year that maybe the the theme of deceit and betrayl i.e pretence could be examined in the macbeth question!!

Yea ok i admit its very unlikely but its fun making up conspiracies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What? The theme only relates to Paper 1..surely. 'Ordinary lives'...work...pretence..lifestyles..can't see deception/betrayal in there. Hoping for Kingship in Macbeth, if it IS modern, there's always the other Macbeth question..If I had to do it, I'd talk about ambitious leaders blahhhh I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I hope you are wrong, I'd hate that question! Ewwwww, requires so much quotes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

You could talk about the human condition and all that. /me dons philosophical hat. People have always and always be driven by impulses such as greed and ambition and this is clear in MAcbeth. ALso it could show the weaknesses of states with one supreme leader.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Kingship all the way! Anything else and I am going to pass out in the exam!:o

I dont know why kingship is been tipped so much. I wouldnt be surprised not to see it tbh. Just cause it was on the mocks doesnt say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Emu McEmuerson

yeah, i really am hoping it doesnt come up too... but that's what my english teacher, and a good few other once predicted/heard from somewhere.

i mean, its hard to be set on one thing, but i suppose its no harm having it prepared if there's even the smallest possibility.

im completly staying away from the whole - Good vs Evil malarky. its far too predictable.

..same crap going on with Poets. everyone's saying Yeats cant possibly come up cause its to predictable it being his anniversary in a few months. but what if the **** catch us off guard and put him on anyway?!

PREDICTIONS ARE ANNOYING!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Macbeth and Stalin had a few things in common.

Showtrials anyone?

What about imagery? They seem to have asked it on King Lear and Hamlet already!
    I think that one out of Kingship/21st centuary/Imagery will be up. Possibly with the character of Lady Macbeth on her own.
    I know this is off topic but is it true that Montague has been taken off the course for next years leaving? If that is the case this is his first and only year he is on.

• Advertisement

I couldve sworn i saw him on either next year or the year after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

as im hearing a few people are gettin hints that the question -

"How does the play Macbeth realate to Modern life, and today's society?"
    *much appreciated* xx

Hi im just wondering is this a reliable source your after hearing that modern relevance would be up from?how sure are u?:confused:

I couldve sworn i saw him on either next year or the year after that.

I thought he was as well, but someone said he was taken off. Im just doing plath montague and frost. Would ya say id be safe?

after i graduated, as in finished school.. we went back in for study, so there was only a handfull of people in. walkin through the coridoors and my english teacher stopped us, sayin she heard from someone (i dont know how reliable) maybe from The Dublin Institute or something.. that there was a possibility of that question coming up.

i mean, its complete speculation. but when she first said it to us we FREAKED! then she explained how you go about it, and it wasnt so hard.

i suppose, im tellin ya's all now so you can freak out now and prepare the question just incase it comes up in the exam.. :D

ps.. id say either one of Frost or Plath will come up. im hoping they do!

Plath hasn't come up since 2004 with Kavanagh and Frost hasnt come up since 2003.

i really do think Frost will come up.. *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

after i graduated, as in finished school.. we went back in for study, so there was only a handfull of people in. walkin through the coridoors and my english teacher stopped us, sayin she heard from someone (i dont know how reliable) maybe from The Dublin Institute or something.. that there was a possibility of that question coming up.

i mean, its complete speculation. but when she first said it to us we FREAKED! then she explained how you go about it, and it wasnt so hard.

i suppose, im tellin ya's all now so you can freak out now and prepare the question just incase it comes up in the exam.. :D

Could u pleaz tell us how your teacher suggested you go about this particular question I would appreciate it asap thanx so much

You pretty much discuss the themese in Macbeth already, but relate them to everyday life..

like Evil vs Good; war; ambition in people; betrayal (like in couples etc.) pity..

all the themes you've studied, pick something in today's world that it connects with.

any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's Kavanagh's anniversary, 50 years since he died....not Yeats. Unless it's his as well? 1939..so, 68 years..eh, yeah Kavanagh FTW.

Pfffffft Institute. I don't see how it's possible to predict a Macbeth question..not really like poetry.

oh really...? hmm

there's something about Yeats coming up alright. i dunno!

..and yeah, i really dont know where it came from. all i know is im gonna prepare it! if i get the slightest hint for something, im gonna prepare it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

You pretty much discuss the themese in Macbeth already, but relate them to everyday life..

like Evil vs Good; war; ambition in people; betrayal (like in couples etc.) pity..

all the themes you've studied, pick something in today's world that it connects with.

any better?
    thanx a lot, got a vague idea but still seems kinda up in the air i think im just panicking and i note your notes onn the poets which you've posted thanks sincerely...really kind..is there any chance you could be a bit more specific on relevance of macbeth to modern life! Thanks..really thanx:(

• Advertisement

well impulse you can relate to everyday people.. shove in an anecdote of how you bought a top without thinking twice or something..

evil in the world - hitler etc.. lol

ambition that drives people in the wrong direction - hmm.. people who set themselves goals to high e.g. running the marathon and not able to complete them..

random things like that! i suppose, its hard to gage if it would be a formal essay or personal. if it was a personal essay you could make it really colloquial and common-place.

betrayal in couples
    lying to people (refer to L.Macbeth and Macbeth then in everyday life)

..etc etc

It's Kavanagh's anniversary, 50 years since he died....not Yeats. Unless it's his as well? 1939..so, 68 years..eh, yeah Kavanagh FTW.

Pfffffft Institute. I don't see how it's possible to predict a Macbeth question..not really like poetry.
    Lol they predicted the exact King Lear question last year....

Could you write about relationships? Womens power over men, lol. Or is that going off on a tangent? I'd think so, it's a pretty nasty question, hopefully the department hasn't been that mean.

Advertisement