Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Soft Drinks

Options
  • 05-06-2007 3:56pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know if the beta carotene in Rock Shandy is Vegetarian?

Also, any good lists of unsuitable soft drinks out there?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just know that Fanta Orange isn't VF though you prob knew that already Tar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah thanks, if I didn't know I would want to.
    There are a good few not vegetarian like lilt etc. Just wondering about rock shandy as I love it. Maybe I'll email C & C.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

As far as I know, anything liquid with beta carotene isn't suitable for vegetarians. They use fish gelatine as a stabiliser - it makes the beta carotene water soluble. This rules out Fanta, Club (Orange & Lemon), Lilt, some juices (including Sunny Delight and St. Bernard brand Tropical Juice), and even Kia Ora.

Edit - this comes from the Coca Cola site:
    Can you tell me which of your products are suitable for vegetarians?

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:

* 'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    * 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    * 'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    * 'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    * 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    * 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    * 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit with Calcium
    * 'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush
    * 'Schweppes' Deuce no added sugar Orange & Guava

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rock Shandy is not a coke product right? Or do you just mean for drinks in general?
    C&C gave me no reply, but to be fair I emailed club orange...
    :)

I mean in general.

If it uses beta carotene, then it's not suitable (this is what I gather from Google, at least).

• Advertisement

There is a beta-carotene that is suitable for vegetarians(based on modified food starch), I just doubt they use it, I can but hope as of yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

It alwaus amazes me how products you think are suitable for vegitarians end up not bein gthe case.

i remmeber the 80s when there was no such thing as vegitarian cheese. it was jsut accepted as granted that all cheese was suitable for veggies.

I seriously doubt that they use the more expensive product, but if they reply saying they do, let me know! I miss rock shandy.

There are two ways(currently) that beta-carotene is synthetically produced for vegetarians. I don't know prices, what makes you say it is more expensive that the fish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

as i matter of interwest do soft drinks ninclude the labs "contains: fish products"

because in todays world everything should be labled suitable or not suitable for vegitarians.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they do not. :/

Advertisement