Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chanting of the Quran

• 05-06-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hey, I was introduced to the Quran being chanted.. "qira'ah" I think its called? this last term at school.. and I loved it.

I love the sound of chant.. and the arabic language, so together, I think its some of the most beautiful music out there. Its very peaceful and calming.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread filled with people's favorite sites? I know that there are sound clips out there.. I wish I could remember the link to one of them, it was beautiful..
    So, I did a quick search on youtube.. I thought this would be a nice one to start with since it also has the translation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlNq2WURzWs

Peace&love : )
    ~Beth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The Koran is wonderfully poetic in Arabic, I always wondered if the Bible would be similar in its original Hebrew and Aramaic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

And Greek of course :)
    I'd say sections of the Bible could be poetic. ala The Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Songs of Solomon, but I doubt all of it could be sung in a similar fashion effectively. Some find the King James version to be poetic, due to its Shakespearean like language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jakkass wrote:
    And Greek of course :)
    I'd say sections of the Bible could be poetic. ala The Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Songs of Solomon, but I doubt all of it could be sung in a similar fashion effectively. Some find the King James version to be poetic, due to its Shakespearean like language.

Damn forgot the Greek.
    Yeah, I have only heard bits and pieces of the Bible which are certainly poetic, but I have always wondered if it sounded better in its original language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

I like to get my fill of that through the Eastern Catholic church, its a beautiful liturgy. I do like Gregorian chant as well, but there is something about that chant being in the language that Jesus spoke that is moving.

Anyway, I hope not to get too far off topic, we are in the Islam forum of course, and I have read the charter ; )
    Muslims, where ya at? =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Sorry for the delay :) Wes is a Muslim too by the way ;)

The word qiraa' comes from the Arabic word iqra (the first word revealed to the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him)) which means read or recite so therefore qiraa' means reading or recitation.

I think you're absolutely right Beth, it is indeed very peaceful and calming. A lot of people just don't get how nice it is to listen to the Quran in Arabic and you just don't know what it's like until you've heard it for yourself.

Actually, I received an excellent link in my e-mail there the other day and I felt compelled to add it to the resources thread. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53358221&postcount=25

It's really a GREAT website. You can read the Quran in both English and Arabic side-by-side. Nothing new there. But you can also hear the recitation in Arabic or English or both! Pretty cool!

Thanks for the link there by the way. I believe the reciter is Mishary Rashed. I really like the way he recites the Quran. Has a nice flow to it.

Some of my favourite chapters of the Quran to listen to are Surat Al-'Alaq (the first chapter revealed) and Surat Al-'Ala.

• Advertisement

Have to say by the way...

I'm very impressed that they had you listen to the Quran recitation at school. It's an excellent step towards people of different religions and cultures better understanding and respecting each other. Kudos!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

oh, I'm sorry wes, I forgot and jumped to conclusions! oops, my bad.

and that is an impressive site, I could imagine how beneficial it would be for a Muslim who speaks english. Thank you for sharing : )

And allow me to clarify myself..
    I was lazy in my first post -My friend actually introduced it to me. Saying that though -I do go to a Jesuit University and I think we do a good job with inter-faith dialogue. I'm actually taking religions of the world next semester, I'm very excited : ) We have a mosque on campus... I always thought that was pretty different for a Catholic Institution to have around. oh and also, one of the more interesting things I attended, was how to incorporate Hindu prayer as a Christian.. kinda neat eh?
    And I couldn't agree with you more bout the importance of understanding different religions/cultures. I find it helps me understand better where my faith differs and why that difference is important, and also where our faiths are the same.. which I have found can help a person out in a highly materialized, self-centered, society. Plus loads of other reasons -but hey, I'm preachin to the choir : )

peace&love ~Beth

Sounds pretty cool alright. Was your friend a Muslim? Just curious.

Had to wikipedia Jesuit University. Sounds interesting. I guess having a mosque there on campus means there are Muslims there. I find that very interesting and something which is good for inter-faith dialog.

What are you studying by the way? That religions of the world course sounds pretty interesting alright. Wouldn't have minded doing something like that myself at College. I was in Engineering though so wasn't really something we would have done :)

I'd be interested in hearing what they say in that course though. Perhaps you could go on the Spirituality forum and discuss it once you start taking it. And I'd be most interested in hearing what is being said about Islam especially. Be sure to tell us!

Advertisement