Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving credit card companys

Options
  • 05-06-2007 5:07pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've been with Bank Of Ireland for years and years now and I have a BOI credit card for the past 5 years, never had any problems with it, I owe abit on it at the moment but certainly nothing of concern.

So I;ve been looking at Halifax's offer in relation to their credit cards and the APR is lower so I thought I'd apply, so I filled out the on-line app and got a letter saying today that they rejected my application as I didn't meet criteria

Now I've had this crap in the past, when I applied for my BOI credit card I applied on-line, they rejected it but I called into a branch and it was fine and dandy.

So I called halifax today and they say they can't tell me why I was rejected and instead I'd have to contact the Irish Credit Bureau as Halifax are not actually told the reason for rejection (sounds like crap to me)

So anyone have any suggestions, do I have to waste time with the ICB asking them to check a credit rating that I know I have no problems with?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It could be something simple, but it sounds like you may have to sort it out with ICB. Otherwise go back to Halifax and plead your case as you did with your own branch, ask if there is anything you can do to override whatever caused the rejection? I have a cc with halifax, and theyre one of the more relaxed crowds to deal with, if they have a problem they pick up the phone to you rather than sending a computer generated letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Cabaal wrote:
    So I've been with Bank Of Ireland for years and years now and I have a BOI credit card for the past 5 years, never had any problems with it, I owe abit on it at the moment but certainly nothing of concern.

So I;ve been looking at Halifax's offer in relation to their credit cards and the APR is lower so I thought I'd apply, so I filled out the on-line app and got a letter saying today that they rejected my application as I didn't meet criteria

Now I've had this crap in the past, when I applied for my BOI credit card I applied on-line, they rejected it but I called into a branch and it was fine and dandy.

So I called halifax today and they say they can't tell me why I was rejected and instead I'd have to contact the Irish Credit Bureau as Halifax are not actually told the reason for rejection (sounds like crap to me)

So anyone have any suggestions, do I have to waste time with the ICB asking them to check a credit rating that I know I have no problems with?

Your ICB may be fine but for whatever reason you failed their method of credit scoring. The staff won't be able to tell you why exactly that was, only that it happened and there's nothing they can do about it. It's worth having a look at your ICB though in case any of the information there is inaccurate and needs correcting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Yea, it's unlikely they even checked with ICB and more likely used their own internal credit criteria. If that's the case you can get the information relating to why you were rejected by applying for it from Halifax through the data protection act.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How can I contact ICB, or whats the best way to go about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Sounds silly I know, but I was rejected from another UK company, because they could not validate my address, given that Ireland still uses the same postal system they used when the Vikings invaded.. (and probably the same postmen)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cabaal wrote:
    How can I contact ICB, or whats the best way to go about?
    www.icb.ie you can request your credit report online, costs €6.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cabaal wrote:
    It is crap, in fact if that's exactly what they told you, it's an outright lie. The ICB doesn't reject anyone, or make any decisions, all it does it log data about your credit record -- amount of lending, payment records, credit record requests. It's up to individual financial institutions to use that data to decide if you're a viable customer or not. Halifax made the decision, Halifax rejected you.

If you got a name, log that and the time and report it to both the Irish Credit Bureau and the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority, in writing. They may not act on your individual complaint, but these things need to be logged so there's a record of this kind of behaviour. If there's enough complaints, something will have to be done.

When requesting your credit record, make sure you include all of your addresses past and present, including variations. I have about three 'records', only one of which is any good. I have to use my mother's address when applying for credit because of the incompetent way the data is handled by the ICB.

adam

Advertisement