Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos has arrived!

• 05-06-2007 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

My copy just arrived today. Special Edition with bonus DVD. :D

Only 5 minutes into the first track, but damn it sounds good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's a very dull album, IMO. Sounds like them just going through the motions, there's no excitement, no spark, it's just like the bits that weren't good enough to get onto Train Of Thought. It even features the poxy Metal breakdown - Bullseye piano jangle - Guitar solo over heavy riff part... again. A big disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i have to disagree Doctor J - I think it is a great return to form after the diabolical Octavarium.
    been listening to it over the weekend alot and it is more focused.i think it sits somewhere between Scenes and ToT in terms of style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't find it dull at all. There's definetly a Train Of Thought feel to it alright, but I'd hardly say that it's just the bits that weren't good enough for that album.

Definetly not their best work, but it's a very solid album.

Oh, and I wouldn't call Octavarium diabolical either. I was let down at first, but it really grew on me after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Giving it a listen now (late home from work - in to track 2 "Forsaken" now)

Incidentally, I also like Octavarium. There is a definite operatic feel to it - like a more subtle version of Metropolis pt.II in trying to tell a story, or a theme at least. It's not Metropolis, but then again it would be tall order for any band to pull off something of that calibre twice in a row with any degree of ease.

Well what can I say, I've listened to it probably four times now, still can't recall a single thing apart from the aforementioned Bullseye piano bit and the rehashing of the verse from TOT again. It's just not rocking my boat at all, nothing has caught my attention while listening to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Doctor J wrote:
    Well what can I say, I've listened to it probably four times now, still can't recall a single thing apart from the aforementioned Bullseye piano bit and the rehashing of the verse from TOT again. It's just not rocking my boat at all, nothing has caught my attention while listening to it.

WIIIIITCHHHH!!! Burn the heretic out!! :D:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sweet, my copy should be at home :D You'll be listening to it any time you're in my car Mr Doctor J!

Been listening to the album for a while and I have to say, I still like it.

If that's how it is you'll be listening to Behead The Hydra an awful lot in the future, beeeeeeeeeyatch! Perpare thy bowels for low frequency attack! :p

Lemming wrote:
    WIIIIITCHHHH!!! Burn the heretic out!! :D:p

Hey I just tell it like it is. The world ain't flat either y'know ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Brown note ftw \o/

Just watching the DVD at the mo. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I really like Forsaken. The opening riff is cool as f*ck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Looking forward to giving this a spin tomorrow on the way to work. My copy came yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

It's poor. Disappointed yet again by a Dream Theater release.

In the Presence of Enemies is a good start but it's generally unremarkable. Forsaken is good. The Dark Eternal Night is awful, as is Repentance.

They just seem to be burned out. Too many releases in a short number of years in terms of all the side projects they have going may have left them burned out creatively, as they haven't done anything really genuinely interesting since Scenes.

Pity. They should take a few years off. And maybe when they come back they might not try to pander to the kiddies either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got it last weekend. I'm dissapointed to be honest,which is something i never thought i'd be with a Dream Theater album.I mean i wasnt mad about Octavarium at first but it really grew on me.I think Systematic Chaos is very plain... and Constant Motion... I think its awful,in terms of dream theater. Hopefully it will grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I love the album. Been listening to it constantly since i got it and think it's fantastic. Great variety on the album too. I enjoy every single song on it. Very happy cos I only like about half the songs on Octavarium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Still listening to it, and I still like it a lot even if it isn't on par with their previous albums. I can kinda see where some people are coming from though, but only time will tell. I personally thought Octavarium was poor, but it grew on me a lot.

Hearing Constant Motion and The Dark Eternal Night preformed live was absolutely incredible though.

One thing I think it seriously misses is a good instrumental. There's just something about the placement of the instrumentals on DT albums that seems to break things up nicely, such as in Metropolis Part 2 or Awake, and I think it's lacking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

come on people, this album is fantastic!

maybe not the best DT effort but genuinely a fantastic album. very solid throughout.

i'm surprised at the criticism here, maybe they are a victim of their own success in that some fans simply expect too much.

Advertisement