Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corcaigh.org

Options
  • 05-06-2007 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I registered this some time ago with the intention of creating a site but I never got around to it. I'd still like to develop a site with information about Cork and resources for Corkonians and those visiting us, but at this stage it would have to be a group project. Anyone interested? I'd like to start with a group blog.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Sounds good... I'd be up for that. I was also bored one time and registered corkwiki.com but never got around to populating it. Could make them feed off each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As long as the PROC'ers don't get their mitts on this, good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'd be interested... if I wasnt so damn lazy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'll probably end up contributing too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

WordPress, Drupal? I lean toward WordPress, but I'd really like to try working with Drupal. Anyone any good at it? Drupal has a Wiki module too.

• Advertisement

Wordpress is your only man.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Assuming adam doesn't just do his usual thing of shouting at me until I go away, I'll happily try to chip in. Would comic strips be of any use to ye? (If so, there's a Wordpress theme/addon called Comicpress that can be used to make life easy in terms of publishing them...)

Comic strips'd be fun if they were Cork-focussed. Plenty of material in PROC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh yeah, cork-specific stuff all the way. I'll start messing around with a few things and see what I can do for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

What kind of help is needed for this? IT knowledge? or is it just a case of getting everything together on the one site with general contributions/comments/reviews?

• Advertisement

The latter really. I'd like to get people blogging about Cork, like Boing Boing with a Cork accent and a slightly lazier viewpoint. If we could get 7 people posting once a week, we'd have a post a day, which'd be a nice start.

IT I can handle mostly, if I needed help I'd ask later. I'd just set up a group blog at the outset with a standard template, it can be improved on later if it takes off.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Sounds like it could be quite interesting...

I'll set it up, be back next week. Somebody shout at me if nothing happens. I have the attention span of a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

...LOL!

Excellent idea. I'd be happy to do a weekly contribution or help out in any way I can. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Count me in as well for some contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

dahamsta wrote:
    WordPress, Drupal? I lean toward WordPress, but I'd really like to try working with Drupal. Anyone any good at it? Drupal has a Wiki module too.
    Dupal is the only way to go.

Created by a Belgian guy, Dries Buytaert www.buytaert.net/resume (he’s handy with a camera too – have a look at his photos), it is open source, and has the brainpower of the world in the internet/web development space contributing to it 24h/24, 365 days a year.

It has taken Microsoft out of the market (Front Page is dead), and Adobe’s Dreamweaver will probably follow into the same grave. Microsoft’s corporate SharePoint server is next for the grave after that... [www.microsoft.com/sharepoint]

Crappy superficial sites like MTV and www.observer.com (NY Observer) run on Drupal – as well as thousands of intelligent blogs and other sites.

Wordpress and similar are blog oriented and have limited functionality.

You could run a multi-national company on a Drupal + Apache running on linux platform. Free!

.probe

www.drupal.org

Did it look like I didn't know what Drupal is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

dahamsta wrote:
    Did it look like I didn't know what Drupal is?
    Please don’t bite my head off! :)

You asked the question.

Other people reading the thread may not be familiar with Drupal. They can look at the links if they want to.

.probe

Sorry for lifting this again, I want to get back to this as a small project to run in December with an eye to launching something with a relatively nice skin and a few dozen posts in January. I'm going to do it in WordPress, since that's what I know. Can I get a few volunteer bloggers please? We'd be looking for events, news, trivia, history, stories, etc, anything really as long as it's related to Cork and it's not commercial. Please, please don't volunteer if you're not going to post at least once a week, it creates more hassle than it's worth in the end. PM if you have a need or want for privacy.

Thanks,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I totally forgot about this, man.

Apologies.

• Advertisement

Go onto this blog about Limerick every now and then (work reasons) and its quite good really.
    http://www.limerickblogger.org/blog/
    Best of luck with it, well worth doing.

Hmmm. Having now left the nation, I'm probably not in a position to contribute in any meaningful way. I still think it'd be a cool idea, it'd be nice to have some sort of site where, unlike PROC, you don't have to worry that if people find it, they'll then say to you "hang on, I saw that website about Cork and they were all ****".

Not saying that adam's the man to make such a site, him being an offensive b*stard and all (no offence like!), but you get my drift...

Yeah, that kind of thing, only with multiple bloggers to try to give it more range, and hopefully keep it even fresher (although yerman's doing a pretty good job on it's own).

I'll go through this thread later to see who already volunteered, and I'll PM them to see if they're still interested.

EDIT: Ah but I'm offensive in an entirely different way Fysh. And you're welcome to post on it, as long as it's about Cork. Might be a bit tricky from the UK, I'll give you that, but sure that's what the world wide net is for. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Im doing something similar for Holland :)
    Moved over recently but going to get the local expats we meet blogging.

http://www.irishinvaders.com

Cost me a fiver a year and a tenner for the Domain from wordpress.com

Haven't really done much with it yet, going to add videos and stuff too :D

I could manage a contribution per week I'd say.

Advertisement