Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New map for BF2.

Options
  • 05-06-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Through a collaborative effort Intel and EA DICE are rolling out a new Battlefield map for players to battle on. Highway Tampa is a vehicle focused map that offers a game experience similar to classic 1942 desert warfare. Explore this stretch of the Arabian Peninsula in your choice of vehicle and work with your team mates to conquer the map for your team. Download the beta, join in the servers, and drive, fly, and destroy your way to victory. Then drop by the EA forums and let us know what you think. Also keep your eyes to the future as this stretch of desert will see combat across two generations of Battlefield.

DICE Live Team

Please keep an eye on the forums for more information as the beta goes live!

~Violet

Have fun and let us know if its any good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Fantastic a new map and shock\horror its free

happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

http://www.bf2tracker.com/ couple of download links here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Cheers lads

• Advertisement

36% christ its a slow d/load & here is a thread with pics http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116259

Just played it and to me its very much a beta level so far (lens flare is a bit off in places), lots of armour and other vehicles but alas no attack choppers :( and one jet on either side.

First impressions it looks very promising also the map is very very very big it takes about 10 mins to cross from one side to the other in a tank!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Seems to be getting an alright speed downloading it 180 KB/sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Highway_Tampa-download.jpg

Man... this is taking AGES :cool:

/edit
    Just had a quick go. Lag nearby north airbase is VERY bad, but otherwise OK. Lots of armor, and if you have a good bomber pilot, you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive a video up soon... not any skill just running around exploring :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

DeafVision wrote:

haha..so thats why it was free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

"Also keep your eyes to the future as this stretch of desert will see combat across two generations of Battlefield.
    "

Guaranteed to be released for BF2142 then also i should think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

its about time they gave us a new map. In bfv u got a good few extra maps. 4 or 5 like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

its a gud map:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

LOL i saw that kinda add in 2142 the other day made me laugh " Cloak faster with core 2 Duo " it said, at least they had a sense of homour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If any of ya need to get it fast you can grab it here: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~winters/files/Highway_Tampa_Beta_BF2.zip

EA FTP is super slow :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

brilliant stuff ...Are there many servers running this ?

Well i had high hopes...but

Bad map, badly made, im sure there are 100's of better custom maps out there than this half assed effort

Was made by Intel and not EA or Dice i think...as you can see from their f*cking adverts in the map

Huge wide open map...no bulildings really.....4 tanks + 1 apc spawn at start for each team

Its basically like Zatar wetlands....open in that sense..but in the desert

1 jet each... F18 vrs MiG for first time in BF2 ...maybe only saving grace...an equal dogfight

EXTREMEMLY dissapointed at lack of attack choppers

I played the map on 32 man and 64 man and neither are good tbh,

Lazy EA...wait 6 months to release anything..then give us this :S

Back to Lord of the Rings and Mohaa then,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

well, its a throwback to some of teh classic maps of bf1942, wide open spaces for large scale tank battles, as for no attack choppers, those things would just own all the tanks with one shot kills, little point really.

Yeah...but thats why each team gets one...to have deadly chopper battles

Anyways...its only a Beta..im praying that they get some choppers in :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Guitar1979

Yea same here, would like a few choppers. Although not being a fan of 2142 its nice to see a new release for BF2 regardless of lack of function.

Allah Allah..

SeantheMan wrote:
    Was made by Intel and not EA or Dice i think...as you can see from their f*cking adverts in the map

EA made it but Intel paied them id say to let them put there adverts in...

Same in counterstrike....

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I think its crap why have all the free maps being Mec V Usa & desert maps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

i quite enjoyed playing on it,very reminiscent of the old bf1942 days, but its not a very inf friendly map at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Played it for first time last night, and I'm still undecided.

I love it because, for any vehicle-enabled map/server, I've always been more of a tankist than anything else, and this map absolutely rocks for large-scale tank battles (4 M1s vs 4 T72s plus a couple of LAVs and a BTR all at once at medium range last night, in large area in front of MEC airfield - pure class, everyone shooting & scooting, one of my fondest moments in BF2 yet, after over a year playing semi-regularly).

But if you're unfortunate enough to have to bail out in the middle of nowhere or spawn "behind/after" everyone else, it's a big f*cking lot of boredom for a few minutes. Not to mention how bloody exposed you are, feels like being an ant at a magnifying glass convention in the middle of August.

Should be a "land vehicles only" map, for a change (may make allowance for a couple of transport helos per side, though) - it's so damn flat, without any towers or cranes or whatnot, that the jet jocks are having a field day lining up slo-moving wheeled/tracked/on-foot traffic at "soldier head" height :( No need to have attack helos to get owned from the air, single jet per side or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Final version of it has been released.

Two bases are now uncaps and there are more jeeps supposedly

Did you spot any attack choppers on your travels ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

SeantheMan wrote:
    Did you spot any attack choppers on your travels ?

No, attack choppers were not thrown in on the final version unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

ah ****e - I just installed it, now bf2 crashes after it loads a map....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

no choppers?? must download this tonight so!
    Have been waiting for a map like this for ages. Hate the bastids. completely ruin a good tank battle. wish there was a server option to turn off all aircrafton any map.
    either that or there were shoulder launched SAMs introduced like in the POE mod. That would even thinks out a bit.

Actually, does anyone still play POE??

Advertisement