Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .22 lr rounds

Options
  • 05-06-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I have just taken up target shooting, nothing serious, just shooting paper targets. I have used several type of rounds at this stage and I'm getting very different outcomes with each type.

The fast ones seem to be OK with at least one in five completely off target, I have used different velocity rounds from subs to HV's but I cant seem to get any consistency at all. I know my wonky newby arms are responsible for some of the fliers but surely not them all.

What rounds do you guys use that gives you good consistency?

Is there that much difference in rounds from one type to another?

Is it true that "you get what you pay for" when buying .22 lr rounds?

Many thanks

Silver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You def get what you pay for generally good quaility subs are the way to go.

Really its whatever works in your rifle some cheap stuff could shoot well in one rifle and terribly in another.

Eleys and lapua are def worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

buy some of every brand you can. for target shooting you are better off with 'solids'.

Lapua Master, Eley EPS are best in my rifle. They are approx €9 for 50 rds....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

the diference n group sixes between lapua midras m and master was negligable compaired to standard club

have you tries the "bean tin" lapua standard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

have you tries the "bean tin" lapua standard ?

thats the standard club ;)

• Advertisement

ya, comes in tins of 500, referred to as a "beantin"...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Id say value for money wise tis hard to beat winchester subs or lapua anything like that , i'd swear by them for day to day stuff.
    Beware the "beantins" , i had some really cheap rounds once just out of curiosity , champion or something and they stuck in the chamber like you wouldn't believe - they actually broke a chip of the extractor pin of my gun . So while i save a few bob on the rounds themselves I have damaged my gun in the process:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I have just taken up target shooting, nothing serious, just shooting paper targets. I have used several type of rounds at this stage and I'm getting very different outcomes with each type.

The fast ones seem to be OK with at least one in five completely off target, I have used different velocity rounds from subs to HV's but I cant seem to get any consistency at all. I know my wonky newby arms are responsible for some of the fliers but surely not them all.

What rounds do you guys use that gives you good consistency?

Is there that much difference in rounds from one type to another?

Is it true that "you get what you pay for" when buying .22 lr rounds?

Many thanks

Silver.

If you use a good quality target round like Lapua Master or Eley Match, then the only remaining possible causes of your fliers are you or your rifle.

had americam eagle recently €2.30 for 50 rds. was excellent.... 5 rds clipping 1 hole at 50 yards.....and functioned realibly in my rifle

any other info on makes of ammo tried ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

had americam eagle recently €2.30 for 50 rds. was excellent.... 5 rds clipping 1 hole at 50 yards.....and functioned realibly in my rifle

thought american eagle ammo was 40 in a box ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I too am starting out rifling shooting, in fact I have a CZ .22. I have used several types of bullets over the past few weeks. Federal bulk pack 325 for 20 euro are a complete waste of time for target shooting, very inaccurate but good value if plinking.

I have also used CCI stingers which have a good punch but again are inaccurate but not as bad as the Federals, I think these are for hunting rather than targets.

The best for me so far were the CCI subs, very accurate. So I think that if you want accuracy stick with subsonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

While shooting Club rifles I got great results from shooting the standard
    club rounds Lapua clib rounds at 4.50 Euro.

When I switched to the Match Grade Laupua at around 6.50 per box
    of 50 I noticed that they were not as accurate in the club rifles.
    and as subs you sometimes could actuall see the round in your field of view
    just before it hit the target.

out of any brands I have heard CCI are the worst but I dont
    have any proof or evindence of that remark.

~B

Thats cheap, where did you get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Lapua club, or Eley club are very fine target cartridges.

Midas, Tenex, Fed. Gold are superb but very expensive in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on what you're shooting at and what you're shooting at it with.
    What are we talking here Silver, silhouettes with a CZ? ISSF targets with an Anschutz? Bunnies with a Ruger? Paper targets with a Browning Buckmark?

I mean, for ISSF stuff, I'd stick with batch tested RWS R50 if I had the money and Lapua Master otherwise (used to be Multimatch before they stopped making it), but that's in an Anschutz 2013. I wouldn't waste the money on a 10/22, I'd stick with something else like the Lapua semi-auto stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

out of any brands I have heard CCI are the worst but I dont
    have any proof or evindence of that remark.

~B[/QUOTE]
    i have to agree with bullets the cci are bad i got a load of them and i had a problem with everyone of them they kept jamming ... i find the winchesters and eley subs are excelllent .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I found cci subs accurate enough for hunting but difficult to close the bolt on them in my cz452 lux

was at the range on sunday and tried lapua club, complete tripe in my rifle. Would have been better off firing a shotgun at the target. I wouldn't even use them for hunting they were so bad

Eley subs again I have found to be adequate for hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ammo is very subjective even in different rifles from the same manufacturer.
    I have found Lapua Superclub to be good and accurate in my Anschutz.

Vegeta wrote:
    I found cci subs accurate enough for hunting but difficult to close the bolt on them in my cz452 lux

yes thats what im talking about with every round being difficult to close the bolt .. a few people i talked to said the same and they would never use them again ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

the hunter wrote:
    yes thats what im talking about with every round being difficult to close the bolt .. a few people i talked to said the same and they would never use them again ..

yup I'm the same, went through the 100, they were accurate but they were the first 100 rounds through the rifle and I thought it was the rifle itself but then put in the eley subs and the difference is amazing. Cycle perfectly

I cant say a bad word against the cci subs accuarcy wise though. Better than the lapua club in my rifle.

I have never tried winchester subs though, will try and get some of them soon

I have never tried winchester subs though, will try and get some of them soon[/QUOTE]

yeah try them .. they seem very popular around here (wexford) most dealers dont have them for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I use Winchester SuperX subs for all my hunting needs. Silent, violent and accurate. I've tried lots af fodder and always go back to SuperX.

For the little bit of paper punching i do, i find Lapua club consistent.

My brother recently aqquired a Cz 452, 50th anniversary Model and it will be very interesting to see how it compares ammo wise to my standard rig.

Hezz

Hezz700 wrote:
    I use Winchester SuperX subs for all my hunting needs. Silent, violent and accurate. I've tried lots af fodder and always go back to SuperX.

yeah thats them great all rounder .. im the same tried a few different brands but always end up back with winchester

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zaitsev

Have had the same problem with CCi subs, difficult to close the bolt on a CZ 452, have tried various brands but the best performer for me has been the Lapua subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

zaitsev wrote:
    Have had the same problem with CCi subs, difficult to close the bolt on a CZ 452, have tried various brands but the best performer for me has been the Lapua subs.

Have the bunnies gone into hiding over your way, now that your back???:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Here's a link to a 22LR ammo test.
    Very interesting results and really confirms that every gun is an individual.

The author sums up as follows

"One thing I have learnt from running this test, and that is the incredible inconsistency with all of the ammo tested, except the ELEY TENEX".

http://www.accuratereloading.com/22rf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lapua Midas L performed well in there as well, but frankly, if your test is done using a 10/22, I think perhaps you're not really testing the ammunition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Sparks wrote:
    Lapua Midas L performed well in there as well, but frankly, if your test is done using a 10/22, I think perhaps you're not really testing the ammunition...

Sparks
    CZ452, Anschutz 1808, 10/22 thats a decent test.

• Advertisement

What are we talking here Silver, silhouettes with a CZ? ISSF targets with an Anschutz? Bunnies with a Ruger? Paper targets with a Browning Buckmark?

Hi Sparks,

I'm shooting paper targets on the range at 100m and 50m with a CZ 452 Varmint.

Looks like I've been using the wrong stuff thus far so I think I'll get as many different types of ammo that I can and try them out because it seems that even two of the very same rifles, firing the same ammo can have different results, am I correct?

Advertisement