Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .22 lr rounds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The BULL barrell on a match rifle won't heat up very much bunny (not for quite a large number of rounds anyway), though if you've got the lighter barrel, yes, 100 rounds through it in quick succession will get it a bit warmer than ambient :D
    Taking a break for the time it takes to reload the magazine every 5 shots (assuming you have a 5-shot magazine) would be enough I'd have thought to let the barrell cool down enough though, unless it's an unusually hot day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Sparks wrote:
    The BULL barrell

BULL barrel's aside, would the following be a reasonable, first choice of ammo, for the aspiring target shooter.

Lapua Master (L and M),
    RWS R50,
    Eley Tennex.
    Eley match eps.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote:
    The BULL barrell on a match rifle won't heat up very much bunny (not for quite a large number of rounds anyway), though if you've got the lighter barrel, yes, 100 rounds through it in quick succession will get it a bit warmer than ambient :D
    Taking a break for the time it takes to reload the magazine every 5 shots (assuming you have a 5-shot magazine) would be enough I'd have thought to let the barrell cool down enough though, unless it's an unusually hot day.

Was at range testerday and sporter barrel definately heated up. Not too hot to touch but was definately warm

ArthurJ wrote:
    BULL barrel's aside, would the following be a reasonable, first choice of ammo, for the aspiring target shooter.

Lapua Master (L and M),
    RWS R50,
    Eley Tennex.
    Eley match eps.

Best of luck

I've used master M = very good especially out to 100yds, tnex = not great, eps = as for master m, haven't tried rws no dealer locally to me has ever had it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've used master M = very good especially out to 100yds, tnex = not great, eps = as for master m, haven't tried rws no dealer locally to me has ever had it ?

Tenex eps is not especially good in windy conditions. Lapua is good and Lapua Signum is especially good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My Bull barrell in 17HMR got fairly warm today!!!!
    but I went through 150 Rounds!

Fired Vegetas 452 Lux .22 today using Eley's compared to the standard
    club Lupua they were instantly better grouping although they fired low.

Have tried the Lupua Match ammo in the past but I did not like them.
    I actually preferred the standard club ammo and got better results with them.

~B

rrpc wrote:
    Tenex eps is not especially good in windy conditions. Lapua is good and Lapua Signum is especially good.

no dealer down my way has signum

no dealer down my way has signum

It's hard to get I know, I'm hoarding some for those windy days :D

Press your dealer to get it, I know it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote:
    I keep hearing only one of two things about EPS - either it's the greatest thing since cordite or it's utterly useless.
    I still haven't tried signum, but rrpc's been shooting long enough that if he says it's good, it's good.
    Tried Lapua scoremax yet? Had good results with that in wind before.

Sparks wrote:
    I keep hearing only one of two things about EPS - either it's the greatest thing since cordite or it's utterly useless.
    I still haven't tried signum, but rrpc's been shooting long enough that if he says it's good, it's good.
    Tried Lapua scoremax yet? Had good results with that in wind before.

Not tried scoremax, but I would like to at some stage. Have a lot of ammo at the moment, so it'll be a while before I need to get more.

EPS by the way is great indoors :D Works well in pistols too. That's just not a good enough reason to buy it when IMO there is better around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement