Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalled dark forces 2

Options
  • 05-06-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

well it is pretty obvious from the title I'm playing this for the first time and I must say I have become used too people heads not looking like cuboids:D but I was just wondering did anyone ever play this and what did they think of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

I thought both I and II were brilliant. I i recall being better. These were out around the same time of Half Life 1. Was a great time for the FPS player.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I think I gave it a spin when it came out, but I really can't remember all that much about it. Was Mysteries of the Sith the expansion for it?
    That feels like a long time ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

neGev wrote:
    I think I gave it a spin when it came out, but I really can't remember all that much about it. Was Mysteries of the Sith the expansion for it?
    That feels like a long time ago now.

"A long long time ago...." you mean "....in a galaxy far far away"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I remember I got that for christmas years ago, brill game. I had dark forces too, should be around here somewhere.

PS, choose the dark side ;)

Edit: holy ****! I just looked at it on wiki. Its ten years old! Jesus, didn't think it was that long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Well my brother bought it for me not the original date because I would have only have been 5 lol but The gameplay is quite good but the graphiics are really quite ****e I think jedi academy is better would have played that through again but brother gave it away:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The first one came out in 1995, it was an amazing piece of work. It had a few additions that Doom didn't have, such as the ability to look up and down. Of course Quake came along the following year and blew it out of the water, certainly graphically. The level design was excellent too, as has been the case throuhout the series all the way through to Jedi Academy. Dark Forces 2 came out about a year before Half Life, though Half Life did exactly the same thing Quake did to the first game, made it look obselete.

Personally Jedi Knight II is my favourite of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

well it is pretty obvious from the title I'm playing this for the first time and I must say I have become used too people heads not looking like cuboids:D?
    Eh... not really...
    the title gives the impression that you've previously installed it...

/anal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Absolutely loved Dark Forces 1. Great story and an engine that gave Doom a run for it's money. Level design was top notch. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was a great game for it's time. I remember being amazed by it at the time because it was one of the first games to use 3D cards. Some of the level design was really good and the levels were massive. The lightsaber was excellent. However I'd say it has dated a lot now. The dark side of the story wasn't nearly as fleshed out as the light side story. The expansion Mysteries of the Sith was a bit disappointing. Boss battles were a load of random hacking bull****.

Jedi Knight 2 on the other hand was a really poor game. Made by the talentless hacks at Raven it was yet another by the numbers FPS with no soul that Raven seem to be so good at churning out. It gets far more praise than it deserves but take away the star wars universe and you are left with a very average game. Also the lightsaber is so good that weapons become obsolete very early on. Boss battle saber fights should have been an awful lot better.

Never played jedi academy because by that stage I had had my fill of dull Raven developed games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Jedi Knight is one of my favourite games. Great, memorable levels :)

Been a long time since I played it...I should give it another spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

jedi knight is a great game. pity zone stopped supporting it as a multiplayer game. it was really good, esp for slightly slower connections, i racked up hours playing on a 33.6k modem and it was usually pretty playable.

if it has ip/ip multiplayer and anyone here is interested id dig it out and play again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i loved dark forces 2 great game, good fun nd the dark side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Anyone remember spork? It was the first mod to introduce dual lightsabers ala darth maul and was a revolution at the time. JKII was the first game i ever played online and was only superceded by TFC. I logged hours and hours in it. My very first clan was in JKII! Ah fond memories :)

It does have tcp/ip config afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Jedi Knight 2 on the other hand was a really poor game.

You take that back or else!!! *bzzzzzttt*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Q_Ball wrote:
    Anyone remember spork? It was the first mod to introduce dual lightsabers ala darth maul and was a revolution at the time. JKII was the first game i ever played online and was only superceded by TFC. I logged hours and hours in it. My very first clan was in JKII! Ah fond memories :)

It does have tcp/ip config afaik.

wow what are the odds another massive JKII clan guy here, JKII was my first clan, what a game and so much fun, do you remember the black saber mod? i dont know why i loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Jedi Knight 2 Outcast is a game I always have installed, load up pit and spawn a few dark jedi and slicey slicey!

Advertisement