Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great short story?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Originality,Length and big words for me :)
    opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

ending it with;
    '....and then I woke up and it was all a dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Your mother!!!Hahaha.Seriously though i don't really care about originality, as long as the story is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Spank wrote:
    ending it with;
    '....and then I woke up and it was all a dream'

Definately. Also, lots and lots of cliches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

big words and lots of slang e.g limerick slang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I always base mine on the 'Olsen twin movie formula'
    Win tickets for a holiday on radio show.
    go to exotic/interesting city.
    meet two native boys.
    MEET two native boys.
    be all sad going home.
    get a makeover.
    be hot.
    the end.

but it was just a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

A1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

Spank wrote:
    meet two native boys.
    MEET two native boys.
    A+++ legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Im struggling to think of a pre-prepared essay....might rely on originalty and pressure on the day to spark something off....got 70/100 in Mock doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Take a look at Claire Keegan's collection Walk the Blue Fields (especially the title story). Brilliant dialogue, layer after layer of meaning, strong narrative drive, characters you get completely involved with. You'll get it in the shops, it's just out and selling very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

No offence, It's a little late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh, wait, we're talking pre-prepared essays here, rather than fictional stories?

Hmmm. It used to be the thing in oral French to prepare stuff on la jeunesse, le chomage et les drogues, figuring that virtually any subject of conversation that came up could be worked into these subjects.

Getting back to short stories, I heard a great story by someone called Kevin Barry - complete with Limerick slang - on RTE the other day. Classic lines like "You'll be a long time impressing the hills of Clare".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Good descriptions of both characters and settings, good, informal language use, a good plot and a savage twist at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I disagree. You don't have to employ some 'savage' twist at the end to ensure a good story. The key is to keep the reader's attention all the way through...and refrain from the 'I woke up..it was all a dream" ammateur bullcrap!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Best bit of advice I ever got was this: If you aren;t enjoying writing it, then stop and start over. BEcause if you don;t enjoy writing it then no one is going to enjoy reading it. Expecially not the examiner who has to go through many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

i know its a bit late now but here we go anyway! i would like to note that i swear to god im not boasting:o anyway, ive written a few short stories and gotten a few hundred percents(which i learnt and spat onto the page in paper one!) basically i find it easiest to create a character, just sit down start picking a name, his appearance, his family, his background, then give him some unique qualities! just pick a scenario and put ur fella or lady into it, give it a twist and boom, 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I think humour and being able to link your opening & closing paras.!! I hate when people do preprepared essays... writing something new is so much more fun.

Advertisement