Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crew Cabs- Ok to remove seats but not divider

Options
  • 05-06-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

I was informed today by a lady in the Department of Transport that it is ok to remove as many seats from a Crew Cab van as you wish (bar the driver seat) but you can't interfere with the divider between the back of the crew seats and the loading area, which is a bit annoying as it ruins my plans to convert a crew cab to a normal van when I wish:(

I'm not too sure if she knew for certain though. I was asking her is it ok to cut a bit out of the divider and she said she doesn't think so.

She also said it's not ok to add seats to a normal van, but I was on to a dealer today who had a crew cab for sale but it actually was a convert from a normal van, but it would have the DOE and everything:confused:

It seems strange you can remove the seats, but not the divider, don't see a reason behind that if there wont be anyone using the seats:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

cormie wrote:
    I was on to a dealer today who had a crew cab for sale but it actually was a convert from a normal van, but it would have the DOE and everything:confused:

nooooooooooooo!
    man you cant change the transit,the motors forum would be down posts by about 50%

on the divider issue i think its more a saftey thing ie. in case of accident it keeps whatever your carrying away from the driver during impact.i would never consider driving a van without a bulkhead in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I've seen my boss buy two 2nd hand VW transporter vans. He got coachbuilders to install 3 rear coach seats each one with its own seatbelt. They put glass windows into the sliding door and the opposing panel, and built a bulkhead behind the rear seats. Both of these vans passed the DOE. I doubt he has told the motor tax office of the change but I cant see why he would need to, the tax payable remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

SoBe wrote:
    nooooooooooooo!
    man you cant change the transit,the motors forum would be down posts by about 50%

on the divider issue i think its more a saftey thing ie. in case of accident it keeps whatever your carrying away from the driver during impact.i would never consider driving a van without a bulkhead in it.

I would see it as a safety issue too, but if there are no seats in the back, there isn't anyone to protect. Also, as far as I know, normal vans don't need a bulkhead? Well the one I rented didn't have one anyway..

Advertisement