Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako .22lr Finnfire Hunter

Options
  • 05-06-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Any more owners out there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

yep in a varmint version though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Another varmint version owner here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    Another varmint version owner here.
    And another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

and another varmint...... love at first shot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I know where theres another varmint. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Had a varmint myself about two years ago.......made a big mistake and sold it.....got new hunter recently........lucky as they don't make 'em any more.......

I feel I can say with confidence that they are superb rifles in every way ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

I own a p94s hunter and use it to shoot sils and various other events , I got it in addition to a 1710 heavy barrel i had to shoot hunter classes. I liked it so much i ended up getting rid of the 1710. now things I love on it versus the 1710 , 1 -the safety is in the right place and engages and disengages with no big hassle , its no difference on a range but a big difference on bunny bashing excursions, 2 -the weight you can mount any scope you want on it with any mount and still be a half pound under the weight for hunter class in sills, 1710s are very very tight to make the weights, I shoot mine with a weaver t36 fixed on bkl mounts using eley match eps for comps, lapua cans for training and winchester subsonic hollows for bunnies, although i tend to use the 1022 more for that these days.
    problems with the finnfire,
    1- the magazine extraction sucks , as you all probably know the only sure way to get it out quickly is to hit the release catch with the bolt forward or partially forward or fit pull tags to the mags
    2 the magazine itself is crappy enough
    3 the plastic muzzle protector
    4 the trigger is not fantastic, its much much better than most of the crap out there and with a little honing can be got quite sweet, but it aint no match 52.
    5 The extractor spring , I have seen several fail at inoportune moments, mine has never gone and i wonder were the failures due to bad cleaning practices, anyway get a spare they are easy to fit

Now they are my niggles with the finnfire , dont get me wrong I will never part with it , I have travelled too far with it from south africa to new mexico and adore that little rifle , but if I were too improve it thats what i would look at , unfortunately sako went the other way and brought out the quad which isnt half the rifle but thats anither post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

does anyone know where i can get a two stage trigger for them,there are aftermarket kits out there like rifle basix but sako do one and ive no luck in coming across one.

Oldzed right on the mark. I agree with all this.

.243 i find the trigger to be excellent as is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

+1 varmint ownership here. Great gun throughout.

As for the aftermarket/replacement triggers , they are really hard to track down now as they are all out of production since the new model , the sako quad , has been introduced. Backwards compatability kinda went out the window with that so parts arent easily available anymore.

varmint models seem to be more popular than hunter.....

by choice ???????

why ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

For a wee bit more money you get the heavier , shorter "bull" barrel which by some sort of principle of harmonics/vibrations etc when the gun is fired leads to more accurate shots . Im not sure of the exact sience but im sure if you google about you'll get it. Also , I cant say this for anyone else , but not having any iron sights is a plus for me because i had no need of them and they would be an obstacle otherwise.

heavier to carry for bunny shooting though

Advertisement