Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to make a nice display

Options
  • 05-06-2007 10:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is much more small scale than most of the stuff here, but I hope someone can help me anyway!

Basically, I managed to collect all the available Irish coins before the Euro came in, all minted in 2000 too (including a regular punt and a millenium one)... I also had a Dublin millenium 50p.

For the last few years they've been sitting in an old wallet in my wardrobe and in the middle of a recent clear out I decided it was time to do something with them, rather than just have them lying around.

So I want to put them in a simple looking display and hang them on my wall, but I can't think of the best way to present them.

Ideally I'd like to have them sandwhiched between two panes of glass inside a frame, so if I took them down I could see the back of them without having to open it up... of course this creates a number of difficulties, mainly how I'd be able to keep them in place. Obviously some coins are thicker than others so I can't rely on the pressure of the two panes holding them in place and doing something like gluing on one side would a) defeat the purpose and b) possibly do damage to the coins. The only solution I can think of is to get a sheet of persplex or something similar and have holes cut to fit the coins in neatly, but this seems like a lot of messy work that might not work.

Any suggestions on this?

If I have to abandon the double-glazed idea I'd probably go for your standard felt backing but again the question of keeping them in place comes up - anyone know of a good way to affix something like a coin without doing it damage?

All suggestions welcome - even ones completely different to what I've suggested!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

What about going for an ordinary picture frame with glass on both sides and the normal (card) mounting cut to the sizes of the individual coins. I think this should be easily done with a scalpel although you could ask at a framing shop. Cut the holes ever so slightly smaller than the coins so that they are "wedged" into place.

Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

If you do want a glue type material that is easily removed in the future, why not put a dab of Silicone rubber on the back of each coin ...... 3 or 4 yo yo's will buy you a tube of Silicone from any hardware store and be enough to do 200 coins or even more ......

leave overnight to cure .... :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

smashey wrote:
    What about going for an ordinary picture frame with glass on both sides and the normal (card) mounting cut to the sizes of the individual coins. I think this should be easily done with a scalpel although you could ask at a framing shop. Cut the holes ever so slightly smaller than the coins so that they are "wedged" into place.

Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea at all - might give that a go as all I'm missing is a second pane of glass (have a picture frame which I was going to use with all the other bits..

Might even have a crack at it and see how I get on, nothing lost if it doesn't work!

Advertisement