Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Chipper

Options
  • 05-06-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭

:eek: A certain famous chip emporium in Tramore is letting itself down. I recently purchased chips and 2 pieces of chicken, and chips and 3 pieces of chicken. Of the five pieces 2 were scratty wings and one was one of those mean back pieces thats all bone and dodgy bits. 2 succulent and tasty drumsticks completed the assortment, but I was not impressed by the rest.... Is there a better bet in Tramore for your chip supper? Or is it total heresy to even think of criticism?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cunninghams have been ****e for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

most of them are hit and miss. i find cunnighams the most reliable, then dooleys, then what used to be tony's, beach grill i went in their for the 1st time last week and they were skank. corner place across from murphs i like their kebabs they yummy after a feed of drink. lido very yucky used to be nice but now only if im desperate and too lazy to drive. havent done the pizza place where the chinese used to be nearish fredys. thats all i can think of right now.
    im sure ure on about my number 1 on the list? but seriously they are just about the best but not much between the 1st 2

ps i live mostly on fast food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 metoolbox

paul666 wrote:
    most of them are hit and miss. i find cunnighams the most reliable, then dooleys, then what used to be tony's, beach grill i went in their for the 1st time last week and they were skank. corner place across from murphs i like their kebabs they yummy after a feed of drink. lido very yucky used to be nice but now only if im desperate and too lazy to drive. havent done the pizza place where the chinese used to be nearish fredys. thats all i can think of right now.
    im sure ure on about my number 1 on the list? but seriously they are just about the best but not much between the 1st 2

ps i live mostly on fast food

ye must be some size boy if ye live on fast foods!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cunninghams has had high prices and poor quality food (compared to previous years) for a good while now.

They have sold it now to a guy who runs the Tonys Chipper in Tramore, and take over is June 16th with the loss of Irish staff (he only wants to keep foreign staff and is serving notice to all others). This guy owns 26 chippers in total, so im informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Try Bllys down the end of the Prom , Only open durin the summer ... Nice food ... Dooleys by far the best after that ..They dont count the chips in the Box Either:D :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Sully wrote:
    with the loss of Irish staff (he only wants to keep foreign staff and is serving notice to all others). This guy owns 26 chippers in total, so im informed.

call it globalisation or multi culturism,tis new Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

paul666 wrote:
    corner place across from murphs i like their kebabs they yummy after a feed of drink

Thats the only time I think any one think there food is yummy is after a feed of drink, lol!
    OP, Dooley's is a good bet, although as with most chippers, they go through the odd batch of bad chips.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doolys is always dodgy when it comes to chips, the same with Cunninghams. And they were/are two of our best chippers! Aint had chips from billys in years - ill give it a go later :D

I can can now confirm that all of cunninghams staff have been told to look for new jobs, if Tony's does open immediately refusing to rehire Irish staff , I for one will never set foot in there again and would urge others to do likewise.

rasper wrote:
    I can can now confirm that all of cunninghams staff have been told to look for new jobs, if Tony's does open immediately refusing to rehire Irish staff , I for one will never set foot in there again and would urge others to do likewise.

Already confirmed mate. But, I do smell legal action. ;)

• Advertisement

Honestly hope the new owners have a change of heart but if not I wish anyone well with whaterer route they take, I know most of the jobs are probably part time but it's an awful way to go. Can't imagine that the jobs are that highly paid just that probably Eastern European workers are easier to manipulate.

Id imagine its a done deal, I believe some of the family have been trying to get out of it for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jdee247

Feck. Didn't know that. Hope all the staff find something else. Always struck me as one of the most friendly places to visit.

Fair play to Michael and Padraig too. They're like an institution in Tramore. Won't be the same without them.

J

rasper wrote:
    Honestly hope the new owners have a change of heart but if not I wish anyone well with whaterer route they take, I know most of the jobs are probably part time but it's an awful way to go. Can't imagine that the jobs are that highly paid just that probably Eastern European workers are easier to manipulate.

I have been informed, that some of the Irish have their jobs secure - at least for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are they keeping the Cunninghams name? Oh and why did they sell it?

Are they keeping the Cunninghams name? Oh and why did they sell it?

I was told "Yes" - the name went with the sale. The latest update is, "Its not known" - he may or may not change the name. Tho, id leave it as it is - its the name that gets the business.

The owners in fairness to them, have been doing this for years and probably just wanted to get out and retire. Thats more or less the reason, so im told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I said it to one of the lads from college who works there, sent him the link to the topic and he has a boards account so he may post with more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

okay i got a bit of low down from a reliable source:

as it stands of 12.30 this evening 4 current irish staff have jobs secure.

One person, who has been in residence in the chipper for many years is not wanted.

The name is being kept.

Sold because owners said they have had enough.

Polish workers are being kept for unknown reasons.

One person who is being left go has been there for many years

anyone no how much it was sold for?
    the owners should of made it clear that if they were selling that all employees jobs would be safe. that is so unfair that people who have been working there years are been givin the boot

paul666 wrote:
    anyone no how much it was sold for?
    the owners should of made it clear that if they were selling that all employees jobs would be safe. that is so unfair that people who have been working there years are been givin the boot

No idea - iv only heard the rumours but that was a good few months ago. Cant even remember the figger!

But ya, its disappointing alright.

• Advertisement

it happens alot of times that the owners put a clause on a contract that if they were selling that the buyers would keep all remaining employees

ps can i have those arctic monkey tickets!?

paul666 wrote:
    it happens alot of times that the owners put a clause on a contract that if they were selling that the buyers would keep all remaining employees

I dont believe this was the case, from what im told - hes not keeping all the staff, only a handfull. (Polish & Irish)

Some of the most senior members are not being kept on, because it "costs to much" to keep them. Cunninghams would have paid well I suppose, not just minimum wage.
    ps can i have those arctic monkey tickets!?

:D lol nope! ;) Strangely, last time I checked, you can still buy tickets for 50euro. First day is sold out. Ah well, roll on next Sunday!

Rumours going around the place saying that the cunninghams manager (current one) has printed out this very topic. Word gets around eh!

Oh and, something about the new manager confirming in a meeting that "all will stay the same" (A sellection of Irish and Polish Staff, Food, etc)

Id love to see them offering more at cheaper rates. Also, an improvement on the chips would be great.

Sully wrote:
    Rumours going around the place saying that the cunninghams manager (current one) has printed out this very topic. Word gets around eh!

Oh and, something about the new manager confirming in a meeting that "all will stay the same" (A sellection of Irish and Polish Staff, Food, etc)

Id love to see them offering more at cheaper rates. Also, an improvement on the chips would be great.

so the current manager wants to stay, but because it has changed owners he is been forced out?

Eh, no.. not sure where I gave you that idea? The current manager / owner read about this thread and printed it - well, aparently. Himself (and is it his brother?) want to pull out.. so sold it to the new guy who is only keeping some of the staff on but apparently everything else stays the same.

One "senior member of staff" has been forced to leave, as they wont pay him his current wage. (Apparently)

I cant confirm half of the storys, but id assume since many people have said it from within Cunninghams - that it has at least been sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the leader 64

sad to see cunninghams go was the main attraction in tramore

Its not "gone" as such, its just changed owners. :)

Hey all,

A few poeple I know were discussing how the Tramore Chipper is doing the last few days. Not accusing the new owners of anything, or saying whats being said here is true or false. Just mentioning whats been discussed around the place at the moment. This is not meant to be an attack on staff, or the new or past owners. No accusations - just talking about what others are talking about.

1. A lot of the staff that were there previously are now gone, or have been given limited hours. (I believe those who left done so without being asked, and the hours are probably due to new staff and cost cutting messaures)

2. New staff are from Russia, Poland and some Eastern European Countries. Majority are working at the back, which is a good thing. Sometimes its hard when trying to get served by someone not speaking great English! I dont mind this to much, they are pretty good workers normally.

3. Some of the stuff is being cooked differently. The chips are apparently being half cooked, then fully cooked when asked for. So they get half cooked, then left in the baskets to be fully cooked when needed. Probably most chippers do this, but something similar was being done in the old Cunninghams (always thought they tasted pre-cooked!) I believe. Instead of placing the burgers in a George Forman style machine, they are now being grilled which takes longer. Not sure why tho or the difference it makes.. Change some just dont like?!

4. Some locals claim they bought burgers but they no longer have the usual toppings. Possible mistake tho. Also, one thing that struck me as odd was burgers cooked the night before are used the next day. Not sure if I believe that, as it would be a bit odd.

5. Several people claimed that the batter on the fish was to thick and the fish itself was somewat raw. Teathing problems?

6. Outdoor storage area (some sort of building) normaly stocks food on shelves, but some items are being left on the floor. Possible once of mistake by delivery guys, who knows.

7. No more phone orders (At least for the time being).

From what I am gathering, some of the staff that are still working from the previous owners are not happy. There hours are cut back, the breaks are not the same, and the way things are done is different. They just dont seem to like it anymore. One local doesnt think it will last if it carrys on the way its running..

I dont eat there since they change the way it was run a few years back. Less food, higher prices. Chips always seemed pre-cooked or re-heated to me -- and its now confirmed! Phone order was always a disastor. I still had to queue, and I still had to wait for it to be prepared.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I can see some trouble coming from the above post. Sully, if I were you, I'd edit it, cos your making some pretty serious accusations there. If it is true, I can firmly say, I won't be eating there anymore. Just some friendly advice! ;)

• Advertisement

Ya I thought it was a tad risky, just revised it again to clean it up - dont want any trouble, or make any suggestions. Im just discussing whats currently being talked about by people around Tramore, thats all.

Cheers for the heads up anyway!

Advertisement