Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspended timber floor - could it support a snooker table?

• 05-06-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a suspended timber floor - 225mm joists at 400mm centres floored with chipboard and pine floor boards - would support a snooker table weighing approx. 500KG? I appreciate that this is about the weight of six men but there could be six men and the table in the room! Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Good question. That's a lot of weight which will be spread over the number of legs on the table. Also, the applied load will be constant in these areas whereas six men would be moving around. I think you might get an answer in the engineering forum.

Personally, I don't think so. Maybe try fitting a few RSJs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

is it a 9x2 joist? ie. say a second floor of a house.

or what way is it suspended?

if its a normal 9x2 second floor it should take that weight without a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

A friend got a full size snooker table set up in his attic,i think the house had normal 9x2's, but the builder knew it was going to be used as a room so obviously did the job right from the start. If it was going in a normal attic, built as an attic and nothing else, I'd get it checked first, those tables are heavy mother's.
    Have you anyone in mind for setting the table up. It took four guys struggling to get each piece of slate up into the attic, quite a job i believe, but not very expensive surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your replies.
    is it a 9x2 joist? ie. say a second floor of a house.

Yes, it is a large bedroom with 9" x 2" joists at 14" centres.
    A friend got a full size snooker table set up in his attic,i think the house had normal 9x2's, but the builder knew it was going to be used as a room so obviously did the job right from the start. If it was going in a normal attic, built as an attic and nothing else, I'd get it checked first, those tables are heavy mother's.
    Have you anyone in mind for setting the table up. It took four guys struggling to get each piece of slate up into the attic, quite a job i believe, but not very expensive surprisingly.

The table is 8x4 going up a straight flight of stairs and then along a landing to a bedroom. The bed is in three parts so I don't envisage a problem with maneuverability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,290 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yorky wrote:
    Yes, it is a large bedroom with 9" x 2" joists at 14" centres.
    What distance are the joists spanning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

downstairs walls block or studded walls?

i cant see any reason why it wouldnt support it,have often seen pallets of slabs sitting on 2nd floors and they weigh a lot more than 500kgs ;)

EDIT: muffler beat me to the spanning point.kinda why i was asking about the supporting walls underneath :)

Thanks again for the interest.

The joists go across the room which is 12'7" wide and the room is above a garage so each supporting wall is a 300mm cavity wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Can you tell me what the plan dimension of the snooker table. The joists may be up to the job, but I would be concerbned with the legs of the table "punching" through the floor plate, in this case the chip board. Do you know the thickness of the chip board?

If the load is spread over the entire plan are, the loading per metre sq may not be that excessive!

AFAIK, the chipboard is 3/4" with pine t&g floorboards on top. BTW, the joist centres are 400mm which is 16".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,290 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Given the span involved the joists should be capable of taking the imposed loading. However as posted above you need to watch out for the finished flooring being able to withstand the pin point loading from the legs of the table.

I was going to suggest that you lift the chipboard and stick in some additional bridging to the joists but as you have T & G boarding on top it would be a bit much.

Would there be any harm in laying down a nice piece of ply on top of the boarding so as to protect the flooring boards

• Advertisement
Advertisement