Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three 10G speeds?

• 05-06-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

What kind of speed are people getting with the Three 10G plan these days? By "these days" I mean after the big crash and recovery - Sunday evening or later.

Before the crash I was getting up to 1 megabit/s (by http://www.speedtest.net), now it's always just under 512 kilobit/s. But - coverage is imperfect. Should I try moving the antenna around, or is this speed now limited by Three?

(I don't have a problem if they did limit the speed. The stability has been greatly improved - this is more important for me).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

MichaelR wrote:
    What kind of speed are people getting with the Three 10G plan these days? By "these days" I mean after the big crash and recovery - Sunday evening or later.

Before the crash I was getting up to 1 megabit/s (by http://www.speedtest.net), now it's always just under 512 kilobit/s. But - coverage is imperfect. Should I try moving the antenna around, or is this speed now limited by Three?

(I don't have a problem if they did limit the speed. The stability has been greatly improved - this is more important for me).

Last night in Smithfield I was enjoying the same 2mb+ speeds I always get in that area. Just over 1mb Connolly-to Dundalk (with multiple intermittant disconnections).

From Newry-to-Belfast it immediately dropped back to the usual 350k but I regret to say that it remained online the whole rest of the journey without fail. Would that it were so on 3 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

I can't connect at all today!

I keep rebooting/restoring/doing everything I can to get my 3 data modem connected but it just won't serve me any internet pages.

HOWEVER. My data modem keeps telling me it's connected. Have 3 done something to their system today?

How much does that vodafone datamodem cost again?

Why is there no crying 'smilie' on boards.ie and can we invent one just for people having problems with 3?

*This comment posted from Eircom dial-up*

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Im in the same position as you Rockson. Today I can connect but it won't serve me any webpages etc.
    But before that I was getting ~1Mbit in Rathdowney, Co. Laois

Rockson wrote:

I keep rebooting/restoring/doing everything I can to get my 3 data modem connected but it just won't serve me any internet pages.

HOWEVER. My data modem keeps telling me it's connected. Have 3 done something to their system today?

Why is there no crying 'smilie' on boards.ie and can we invent one just for people having problems with 3?

I'm having exactly the same problem using it here on 3UK. Since midday, it won't serve any pages but will retrieve mail and allow IM clients to function. I'm currently using my X-Series SIM with N95 instead.

Guess loadsa peeps are signing up :-(

Incidentally, the price of the VF Modem has dropped to 59€ for a while.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Rockson wrote:

Ditto - I was having this problem for a while this morning around 8:00 AM - but it sorted itself out after 10/15 minutes. I'm at work at the moment so can't comment on what it may be like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Just did some further testing, ftp, IM and mail worked for me. http is dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

brophis wrote:
    Just did some further testing, ftp, IM and mail worked for me. http is dead :(

Thanks, that's interesting. Culabula seems to be getting a similar result.

Ring 'em up and complain, guys. It's the only way we'll get anywhere. (However slowly!)

Rockson wrote:

Ring 'em up and complain, guys. It's the only way we'll get anywhere. (However slowly!)

Please do it for me guys, cos I can't ring the buggers for free from the OTs -although I'm home now and can rely on my 8MB fixed BB instead :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Rockson wrote:

You would think so.....................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just got one today.

Speeds on www.speedtest.ie are showing as 445kbps upload and 49.5kbps download.

Not great at all - but working better than Irish Broadband's 3meg package at the moment! :D

Is it back working now? And what happened to the forum all afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 conj

culabula wrote:
    Incidentally, the price of the VF Modem has dropped to 59€ for a while.....

if this is the best vodafone can do, their in trouble. Unfortunately I am under a vodafone contract but when its up, its out. Id rather pay 129 for the hardware and pay 20.00 per month.
    Iam sure vodafone have noticed Three's billboards advertising how cheap they are compared to vodafone.

conj wrote:
    if this is the best vodafone can do, their in trouble. Unfortunately I am under a vodafone contract but when its up, its out. Id rather pay 129 for the hardware and pay 20.00 per month.
    Iam sure vodafone have noticed Three's billboards advertising how cheap they are compared to vodafone.

Vodafone are not in the least bit worried! and as for being in trouble.........thats laughable. Their practice is to lead on quality of service, not price.

Vodafone customers on the whole are happy with the service. How many "Vodafone 3Gbrodband Problems" "Vodafone Customer service stinks" do you see on these boards....................none...............how many negative or problem threads for Three...................A lot.

For me its a choice of price or service, I am with both Three and Vodafone and I know which contract i will be renewing when the time comes, I want a service that works and when it doesnt i want to talk to someone that knows Ireland is a different country to the UK. Not too much to ask.

The grass is not always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

think the 3 network is creaking..too much stress too fast...this may be the future of things to come, outages such as this..hopefully not though

Vodafone are not in the least bit worried! and as for being in trouble.........thats laughable. Their practice is to lead on quality of service, not price.

Vodafone customers on the whole are happy with the service. How many "Vodafone 3Gbrodband Problems" "Vodafone Customer service stinks" do you see on these boards....................none...............how many negative or problem threads for Three...................A lot.

For me its a choice of price or service, I am with both Three and Vodafone and I know which contract i will be renewing when the time comes, I want a service that works and when it doesnt i want to talk to someone that knows Ireland is a different country to the UK. Not too much to ask.

The grass is not always greener.

Are you having a laugh ? you say their practice is to lead on quality of service not price, I could go on all day about that. Their expected as a provider to provide an a quality Service, i dont care what other service providers can do. Theres a big thing out now called competition, and vodafone are on the bottom of that and when you go in to purchase a product you expect a quality service and a resonable price, neither in my opinion vodafone offer.
    you say vodafone customers are happy as a whole, what kind of a statment is that to make, what do you know what people think, do you work for vodafone ? it seems very like you do. before you start making such an opinion you should understand that not everyone is based in the city. I live further a field and the service is brutal, the customer service is brutal and i have been billed incorrectly every month so far, of course they are looking in to it . . . .ha. You would think with such crazy prices they would try offer a quality service.
    you ask how many threads there was about vodafone 3g broadband, i think you will find that when the product came out there was plenty of threads complaining about it,(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055042122&referrerid=59211)
    People have just given up and accepted that their tied to a contract and accept that its the best for the moment. theres nothing sweet about paying 40 euro a month for a product that covers less than half the country for 3g speeds, contrary to what vodafone say.
    I spoke to Vodafone customer support last month and the customer service rep advised that they would be reviewing the current pricing as , they are aware of the competition and receiving a high volume of calls from customers asking to see if the price is gona be reviewd. I would hope they drop the monthly rental as they will lose quite a few customers if they dont. and I am one of them.

conj wrote:
    Are you having a laugh ? you say their practice is to lead on quality of service not price, I could go on all day about that.

Please dont.
    conj wrote:
    you say vodafone customers are happy as a whole, what kind of a statment is that to make, what do you know what people think, do you work for vodafone ? it seems very like you do.

Well market share is a pretty good indicator as to customers level of happiness.............customers have a funny habit of leaving companies that are crap. I admit I might sound like a Vodafone "Fanboy" but I in no way like vodafone as a company and would never work for them................but Three make Vodafone look like the best mobile company in the world.
    conj wrote:
    before you start making such an opinion you should understand that not everyone is based in the city.

I live in the middle of no where, my nearest town is Newport, Co Mayo and thats 8 miles away, Google it and see its population. I live in the sticks.

conj wrote:
    I live further a field and the service is brutal, the customer service is brutal and i have been billed incorrectly every month so far, of course they are looking in to it . . . .ha. You would think with such crazy prices they would try offer a quality service.

Sounds bad i admit but at least the Vodafone people can answer questions and if not they will pass you to someone who can. They also dont patronise with typical, taught by British call center team leaders, phrases like "Sorry Sir, We didnt mean to keep you waiting" Meaningless pap!
    conj wrote:
    you ask how many threads there was about vodafone 3g broadband, i think you will find that when the product came out there was plenty of threads complaining about it,(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055042122&referrerid=59211)
    People have just given up and accepted that their tied to a contract and accept that its the best for the moment. theres nothing sweet about paying 40 euro a month for a product that covers less than half the country for 3g speeds, contrary to what vodafone say.

As i have said countless times before I have both Three and Vodafone Data cards, I travel around the country a fair bit and in my experience Vodafone have the better coverage (Just) but most importantly, to me anyway is that the Vodafone network seems more stable.

I have had problems with Vodafone but they call back when they say they will and have a much better understanding of their products.

Believe me, if people were still having problems with Vodafones 3G Data card service you would hear about it...............for every 1 Thread you show where people are pissed at vodafone I will show you two complaining about Three and their lack of service

conj wrote:
    I spoke to Vodafone customer support last month and the customer service rep advised that they would be reviewing the current pricing as , they are aware of the competition and receiving a high volume of calls from customers asking to see if the price is gona be reviewd. I would hope they drop the monthly rental as they will lose quite a few customers if they dont. and I am one of them.

I agree 100% with this, they need to look at their price and they will loose custom to Three.

Just as a matter of interest.....................are you a Three customer?

Please dont.

Well market share is a pretty good indicator as to customers level of happiness.............customers have a funny habit of leaving companies that are crap. I admit I might sound like a Vodafone "Fanboy" but I in no way like vodafone as a company and would never work for them................but Three make Vodafone look like the best mobile company in the world.

I live in the middle of no where, my nearest town is Newport, Co Mayo and thats 8 miles away, Google it and see its population. I live in the sticks.

Sounds bad i admit but at least the Vodafone people can answer questions and if not they will pass you to someone who can. They also dont patronise with typical, taught by British call center team leaders, phrases like "Sorry Sir, We didnt mean to keep you waiting" Meaningless pap!

As i have said countless times before I have both Three and Vodafone Data cards, I travel around the country a fair bit and in my experience Vodafone have the better coverage (Just) but most importantly, to me anyway is that the Vodafone network seems more stable.

I have had problems with Vodafone but they call back when they say they will and have a much better understanding of their products.

Believe me, if people were still having problems with Vodafones 3G Data card service you would hear about it...............for every 1 Thread you show where people are pissed at vodafone I will show you two complaining about Three and their lack of service

I agree 100% with this, they need to look at their price and they will loose custom to Three.

Just as a matter of interest.....................are you a Three customer?

2 be honest i had both these modems, the old 3 card "3gig" was no use at all in my area but i could get a better reception from vodafone so both were on trial and kept vodafone. Now from the start i did say i wasnt comparing because iam sure three are a load of crap as their signal does not carry very far. But I also taught vodafone need to pull the socks up. Yes I agree with you, out of the 2, vodafone is better for quality on the broader scene, however those in "threes" range seem to be getting quite a deal, I know a few folks who use it in dublin and its is great, only if they got their house in order and us other folks could use it.
    I aggree with you, My only gripe with vodafone is their pricing and I think in the near future they will sort it out, Hopefully because the only thing attractive about three is their pricing. Just as a matter of interest, i bought the vodafone modem the first week it was brought out and they had it on "special" 39.00monthly 129 for hardware. Was that capped do you know

39€ a month was definitely capped at 5GB a month unlike the original offer at 49€.

Advertisement