Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VST question

Options
  • 06-06-2007 12:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

I have a virtual instrument available as a VST and a RTAS.
    Could somebody recommend to me a simple and basic program to allow me to be able to use this on a Mac? Preferably free, or easy to get hold of.

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You must get a version of your VST which has been compiled specifically for Mac. PC VSTs will not work on Mac and vice versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

This is a Mac VST, been converted to Universal for Intel too.
    It's all Mac.

Doh, I misread your question! So you are looking for an application to host your plugin? There are not as many free/cheap options on Mac as there are on PC but there are still a few. Perhaps something like VSTi Host: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/VSTiHostOSX/

Or you could try doing a search for hosts using the excellent search engine at http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

Cheers!
    I'll have a go at that free one first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The extremely highly rated Reaper has made it's first baby steps into the world of Mac-ness. Although I believe it isn't as functional as it is for PC yet. Try it here on the developers forum posted by Justin, the brains behind Reaper:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4220

• Advertisement

Excellent! Its about time the Mac platform got a decent, affordable DAW like those available on PC. I don't use a Mac at home but I'd love to hear how people get on with a Mac version of Reaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

DL'd the PC version yesterday. It looks spookily like early versions of Sonic Foundry's (now Sony's) Acid program from a GUI perspective. The routing options are sweet, and it's only 2Mbs of a download.
    I think they'll force the major DAW makers to sit down and think long and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Reaper is amazing, too bad I spent all this time 'learning' cubase! I'll get into it when they start supporting acidized .wavs.

I've downloaded Reaper - coulod somebody give me a quick tutorial on how to get this VST working please? I'm quite new to VSTs.
    I've added the containing folder to the VST plug-ins path still nothing.

Cheers!

Presumably you have a .vst file? Go to your root drive (usually Macintosh HD) then Library, Audio, Plug-Ins, VST and drop it in there. Should work from here.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    Presumably you have a .vst file? Go to your root drive (usually Macintosh HD) then Library, Audio, Plug-Ins, VST and drop it in there. Should work from here.
    No, it's actually quite a lot of files.
    It's this one here: http://www.synthogy.com/pages/ivory.html

I's love to be able to get those screens, but I can't seem to get anything to work!

On another note - I have it detected in Cubase - when I hit a note, I see the volume rise, but I can't hear anything through the speakers. Any ideas?

Hmm, I'm not familiar with the Mac version of Reaper nor that particular plug-in so I'm not sure how to help you there.

Re. the Cubase thing - are you sure thats an audio meter you see being activated when you hit a note? Maybe its a MIDI input meter? How familiar are you with using VSTs in Cubase?

cornbb wrote:
    Maybe its a MIDI input meter? How familiar are you with using VSTs in Cubase?
    More than likely it is - how do I channel that through to the output then?
    I'm not used to dabbling with VSTs at all - I know F7 and F8 brings up the VST selection thingy.

This is frustrating now. I've imported a midi in Cubase, I press play, and I hear nothing.
    How do I hear what's being played?

Cheers,
    S.

you need to hook your MIDI signal up to a virtual instrument to hear something, whether its coming from a file or a keyboard. Don't have Cubase on this machine so I can't explain it right now, I will tonight if I have time. In the meantime I'd gently suggest having a look at the manual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

cornbb shouldnt you have been working on something really important at 17:53 hehe!!! ;)
    As for the topic at hand, I remember *someone* specifically telling to shush about audio stuff yesterday, does that still apply now S or am I allowed to say something yet ;)

Advertisement