Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a bath

Options
  • 06-06-2007 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is it better to install the bath before wall tiling or tile wall then install the bath?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I would say that the bath should be installed first.
    You would then tile above it and have a waterthight seal between the tiled wall and the bath. There is usually a plastic edge piece there. Take a look at a fitted bath in someone elses house to see this.

I am however not a tiler, so i would suggest getting advice from one before going ahead with the installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Tile as much of the wall as possible but leave the last tile around the bath,

Fit the bath, apply silicone between the bath and the wall.

Fit the remaining tiles leaving about 1/4 inch space above the bath.

Fill the bath with water.

Apply silicone (white assuming your bath is white) to the space between the bath and tiles. Allow to cure.

Grout the tiles.

I don't use the plastic seals anymore as they push out the tiles and are virtually impossible to seal completely. The silicone method is far more durable and waterproof and neater (almost invisible) if done correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Hi Anon1,

We got a new (PVC) bath installed last week. The bath is in and we are getting the whole bathroom plastered (incl around the bath) today and then we have the tiler doing the tiles next week.

The plumber ran a wooden baton around the wall and attached the bath to this. This means that the bath will not 'dip' (and cause leaks between the bath and tiles) when we get into it i.e. it is fixed rigidly into place. Our carpenter also put blocks of wood underneath the centre of the bath to absolutely ensure no movement/dip of the bath.

As the room is being plastered and tiled, we have laid loads of towels and drop coths into the new bath as the lads are standing in it and we don't want to have it all scratched. We have also removed the showerhead attached to the taps in case one of them stands on it

hth

Dools

Advertisement