Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended timber floor - could it support a snooker table?

• 06-06-2007 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a suspended timber floor (bedroom) with 225mm x 50mm joists at 400mm centres floored with chipboard and pine floor boards on top
    would support an 8' x 4' snooker table weighing approx. 500KG? I appreciate that this is about the weight of six men but there could be six men and the table in the room! Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It should. I assume the room was designed can take at least 12 men (aprox 1000kg).
    My point is that general load baring design requires that the support can take at least twice the max expected weight. Scale the above sum as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

Care should be taken as this could be a games room/party room. I know a friend who has a pool table upstairs and we have had a few parties when the room has been packed and I thought the place would collapse,but he informed me that they doubled the joists for such eventualities!!!!

Advertisement