Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting - all about it

Options
  • 06-06-2007 10:56am

Right, for a while now I have been toying about with the idea of comprehensive website that would explain and outline the basics of getting into shooting.

Have now been working on said website, but given that I know feck all about shotguns, fullbore and pistol shooting, then I need some info.

The basic outline of the site:
    -Overview of shooting
    -Shotgun
    -Clay shooting
    -Game Shooting
    -Rifle
    -Smallbore shooting
    -Target Rifle
    -Benchrest
    -Sporter
    -Game Shooting
    -Fullbore shooting
    -F Class
    -Game shooting
    -Pistol

The website also will have results, pictures and upcoming events in all disicplines,

Any comments, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated, and I need sources of info for shotgun and fullbore.

If you could PM me, I'll send on my email address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmmm. Iain, you do realise how much work would be involved in maintaining a site like that, right? I mean, you're basicly describing what this forum and its wiki do, and that takes three mods to keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

In my experience a forum works alot better for that sort of thing than a website people will have there own questions adn views on things and generally like to share and express them. Sparks is right though that would be an awful lot of work for something that may not get alot of hits wheras many a dedicated forum that is well managed and caters for different parts of the sport could take off on its own and would only require some moderating.

Like anything unless theres good content it wont be successful.

Yeah, without the manpower and content, you could be left with another riflesports.com on your hands :(

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Take a look at this site. I had it set up and once runing its all user friendly and a GROUP of people submit articles. In fact and registered user can submit an article but it has to be approved by an administrator before it appears. Its easy to use, low maintainance and changes regularly... www.malahiderfc.ie

Same setup as www.targetshootingireland.org and www.wilkinstowntargetshooting.org alan, and I did try to set one up for durc.tcd.ie as well, but the machine didn't have the horsepower needed to run both apache and mysql :(

• Advertisement

This is meant to be a static site - but people seem to be unable to find the basic info about how to apply for a license etc.

The idea is a basic framework, with the basic level of content and then links to the relevant website. ie boards, targetshootingireland etc.

This came from the fact that durc gets so many emails asking the same questions:

can we join
    how do i apply for a fac

Well, you could put the info up on the shooting forum's wiki pages. That'd give you a central point to direct people to, and it can be edited by everyone so you wouldn't have the manpower problem.

Advertisement